The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What if the coach changed their style to suit the players he's gotten? Instead of the leafs wasting millions of dollars on buyouts and ridiculous contracts maybe it would have been easier if Carlyle got his head out of his ass and put bozak in a checking role and grabovski in a scoring role.

Unfortunately each player Carlyle has vanished from Toronto is doing wonderfully right now, Grabo and Mac are tearing it up. Gards will get a 50pt season once he's traded for scraps cuz of Carlyle.

Something I noticed is completely lost in this posts.

Nonis and Carlyle want pieces that fit into this team so they can win.

Not whiners that cry about roles, playing time, or accommodating players for their own stats.

We are not interested in building a team for poolies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
couple days before deadline IIRC.. not sure exact date tho

Yes, because the Avs matched an offer sheet they have to keep him a year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051

Trade deadline is March 5, a week after the Olympics.

Soonest Leafs could get O'Reilly would be March 1st. (or maybe Feb 28th. depending on when the match actually took place).

If Gardiner is being shopped it likely isn't for someone who they can't get until March 1st.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Really? Mind telling me what exactly is significantly different between Gardiner and Rielly's game?

Sure, I am happy to help out. Decision making, hockey IQ. It's easy to see that one has more of this than the other.

Also Rielly is 205lbs, Gardiner is 185lbs. Who do you think is harder to knock off the puck?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm probably in the minority but the most glaring need for this Team is a partner for Phanuef not a #1 center.

Cavo

Apr 25, 2006
Halifax, NS
Is this going to turn into another Rask/Pogge situation where we trade one thinking the other is going to turn out? Naaah, that'll never happen to the Leafs! :sarcasm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nonis and Carlyle want players that WANT to be a Toronto Maple Leaf and will do anything for the team.

Heck, Nonis waited for Kessel to tell him he WANTED to be here long-term before talking extension at all.

That is the difference between Nonis, and JFJ and even Burke.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
:laugh:

Yeah Rielly's a genius alright and Gardiner a fast-skating idiot. :handclap:

Didn't say this, though your statement is hyperbolic, it does capture the fact that Rielly is a quicker learner than Gardiner correctly.

But then again, one cannot teach hockey IQ, you have to be born with it. Something Rielly was.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Really? Mind telling me what exactly is significantly different between Gardiner and Rielly's game?

Rielly is awesome, Gardiner is teh sux0rz.

You can only have one player who's good at one position at a time. When you have two, they have to fight each other in mortal combat, with the loser being jettisoned into the sun (Sunrise, Florida.) There will be much pissing as fans are forced to take sides in the frenzy. If you've seen a Microsoft vs Sony fanboy thread, you know what's happening.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Sure, I am happy to help out. Decision making, hockey IQ. It's easy to see that one has more of this than the other.

Also Rielly is 205lbs, Gardiner is 185lbs. Who do you think is harder to knock off the puck?

Oh lord, a 20lb difference! Hey how about... Its a little strange but... What is Gardiner went to the gym?

Guess we don't need Gardiner anymore because Rielly is apparently 20lbs heavier, which obviously means he's much better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh lord, a 20lb difference! Hey how about... Its a little strange but... What is Gardiner went to the gym?

Guess we don't need Gardiner anymore because Rielly is apparently 20lbs heavier, which obviously means he's much better.

20 lbs at age 19 compared to 185 at 23 is not a difference? You probably didn't know this, but Rielly was routinely at the head of the class in strength tests in his draft year at the combine.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
IF Gardiner goes anywhere it will be to Colorado for O'Reilly or a similar type of young talented centre. IF Gardiner gets traded it will be based on his performance not on his relationship with the coach. IF Gardiner gets traded it will not be anytime in the immediate future both due to the trade constraints of teams that would be worth trading to and to get a proper sample out of where Gardiner is at with his game. You don't trade Gardiner after a couple poor games. These rumours were probably leaked by management in conjunction with Carlyle's messages to Gardiner because they want to force the best out of his game & because there is likely a degree of truth to them since they are throwing the name around to ascertain his value right now. Burke & Nonis shopped Gunnarsson quitely for an off-season and last time I checked he's still here.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Tell me what the differences are!

*Someone points out the differences*

I reject your differences because I like one player better than the other!

I can see this is going to be a season that could divide alot of fans. Bernier vs. Reimer! and now apparently Rielly vs. Gardiner!

Here's a novel idea... Toronto Maple Leafs are the team we cheer for against everyone else in the NHL.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I just don't understand. Gardiner has some egregious giveaways, but he's also tremendous at holding onto the puck and great at o-zone gain and d-zone exits. Which is what good teams have.

Unless Dale Tallon has a stroke in the middle of a talk with Nonis and Tallon's intern who brings him coffee and who is also secretly a Leafs fan manages to get his flailing arms to sign off on a trade of Gardiner for Huberdeau/Barkov, not seeing it.

It'd be very difficult to pry Hubie/Barkov but Nick Bjugstad is also another potentially gifted centre in the Panthers organization. Curious to see if Nonis would actually move Gardiner to another team in our division though, if he does in fact decide to move him.

Cavo

Apr 25, 2006
Halifax, NS
IF Gardiner goes anywhere it will be to Colorado for O'Reilly or a similar type of young talented centre. IF Gardiner gets traded it will be based on his performance not on his relationship with the coach. IF Gardiner gets traded it will not be anytime in the immediate future both due to the trade constraints of teams that would be worth trading to and to get a proper sample out of where Gardiner is at with his game. You don't trade Gardiner after a couple poor games. These rumours were probably leaked by management in conjunction with Carlyle's messages to Gardiner because they want to force the best out of his game & because there is likely a degree of truth to them since they are throwing the name around to ascertain his value right now. Burke & Nonis shopped Gunnarsson quitely for an off-season and last time I checked he's still here.

How can they trade Gardiner for O'Reilly and make it work under the cap? We've got like $20,000 in cap space. The only way a deal for O'Reilly happens is if Colorado takes significant salary with Jake in a return and there's no way that's happening.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
If the rumours by several media sources are true, it sure doesn't hurt to know the market value of Gardner.
Forget a 1/2 D or 1c if Jake was the centre piece, the leafs don't have the cap space to address such a trade.
The trade if now for Gardner were to happen, it would have to be a combination of high level prospect ,prospects and picks.
It is interesting to note that in Friedmans 30 thoughts, the 3 teams he mentioned.

The difference as stated before with Reilly and gardner, is size. Four years is junior, Reilly is already bigger and stronger. All things being equal in their offensive abilities,shooting,passing,breakout,iQ, Reilly's size will be better suited to NHL defensive capabilities, I believe.
Gardner is silky smooth is the oppenents end, not so much in ours. Defence wins championships.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Rc and lupul situation in Ana all over again. Getting annoyed with RC's love and hate of certain players. Remember kostka last year?

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Something I noticed is completely lost in this posts.

Nonis and Carlyle want pieces that fit into this team so they can win.

Not whiners that cry about roles, playing time, or accommodating players for their own stats.

We are not interested in building a team for poolies.

:handclap:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rc and lupul situation in Ana all over again. Getting annoyed with RC's love and hate of certain players. Remember kostka last year?

RC does not hate players, wish people would stop saying this. He wants players that can help the team win. He pointed this out with Bolland, he has since made Lupul an alternate captain and valuable player to our team.

A great example of when a player improves or buys into the team concept, Randy will play them and they will be a valuable asset to our team.

Randy does not hate players, a point proven of when he took the high road when Macarthur took swipes at him, but still thanked him for his contribution.

If you want to critique Carlyle, then say he is edgy because he wants the team to win.

As a Leafs fan, this is what you want also. Not a coach that is buddy buddy with his players.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Trade deadline is 5 months away.

I don't see a surprise blockbuster coming out of nowhere, especially when we're 3-0

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Exactly.

Carlyle to Nonis:

I dont like Grabovski - Bought out - Cap space, couldn't find a proper fit for him on the team
I dont like Macarthur - UFA - Raymond cost 1/3rd of the price
I like Clarkson - Signed to a ridiculous contract - Yeah
I like Bolland - Traded for assets - Improved the team without giving up a roster player
I like Bozak - Signed long term - Kessel's pal, they have chemistry

Unfortunately, I dont like Gardiner - Traded.

I love Gardiner it'll pain me if he's gone :cry:

If Gardiner is traded I wouldn't be worried about Nonis getting proper value for him. Leafs have been good at trades in the past few years, and it's not like the fans know more about Gardiner's value and potential than an NHL GM

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Maybe its Carlyle to blame for Gardiner's production.
Juss sayin.

Why would Gardiner want to play for a coach that repeatedly takes him down in the media, discuss it one on one if you need to but stop throwing your player under the bus and making him front page news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad