The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Just for fun imagine if we could trade Bozak instead of Kadri to get ROR.

Bozak + Gardiner + 1st rounder + prospect for ROR

JVR - ROR - Kessel
Lupal - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kuli (cant spell name)

Have ROR and Kadri fight it out for top spot!! That is something to dream about.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
If it gives you a potential #1C you do it. People are giving Gardiner too much of a pass because of his potential and how well he played vs Boston.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think Reimer + Gardiner + 1st Rounder may give us a really great, young #2 (potentially #1) centerman.

edit: would LOVE to make an offer to Colorado but without Reimer in the mix I don't think we have enough to pry away one of their centers and COL doesn't need a goalie.

edit x2: Kadri + Gardiner + 1st enough for ROR?

edit x3: Reimer for 1st rounder

I think going this route we dont create any holes getting ROR (if it is enough to get him) and we still get a 1st rounder. Liles can take Gardiner place if needed but not required.

Sorry, but that's one of the most outrageous proposals I've ever seen on the Boards. I'm sure some will find it refreshing, at least, to see one where the Leafs are royally bent over instead of the other way around. I wouldn't give up more than Gardiner for ROR, let alone adding a better C in Kadri and another 1st-rounder of unknown value. It's amazing, the kid has a couple bad games to start a season and all of a sudden he's completely worthless and trade-bait.

I agree with Faltorvo, media (hopefully) just needs something to talk about.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Sorry, but that's one of the most outrageous proposals I've ever seen on the Boards. I'm sure some will find it refreshing, at least, to see one where the Leafs are royally bent over instead of the other way around. I wouldn't give up more than Gardiner for ROR, let alone adding a better C in Kadri and another 1st-rounder of unknown value. It's amazing, the kid has a couple bad games to start a season and all of a sudden he's completely worthless and trade-bait.

I agree with Faltorvo, media (hopefully) just needs something to talk about.

TBH I sort of came to that conclusion making my second thread. Kadri has the potential to be #1 but ROR gives a different kind of skill set at #1 that i really want. So Kadri + Gards would be an over payment.

So instead of admitting that I just proposed a 2nd deal that would be AMAZING for the Leafs! :)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If it gives you a potential #1C you do it. People are giving Gardiner too much of a pass because of his potential and how well he played vs Boston.

JvR had a great playoff series against Boston, got injured the next year, suddenly gets traded because the Flyers probably don't think as high of him as they did a year ago.

JvR was on pace to put up 55 points given top 6 minutes and should crack 60+ this season.

I do not want to be on the receiving end of a crappy trade that sees Gardiner putting up 40 points per year in the near future while we don't get full value for his potential.

If they want to trade him...that's fine by me, but he better return us the equivalent of his potential.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Fire Carlyle? We'd probably be 0-3 under another coach with the way we have played thus far.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
TBH I sort of came to that conclusion making my second thread. Kadri has the potential to be #1 but ROR gives a different kind of skill set at #1 that i really want. So Kadri + Gards would be an over payment.

So instead of admitting that I just proposed a 2nd deal that would be AMAZING for the Leafs! :)

Still a gross overpayment, as far as I'm concerned. Gardiner alone should be close in value to ROR, and I'd be willing to wager that when all is said and done, Gards has the more impressive career.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
I am by no means a Tyler Bozak fan. I know his strengths, I think he's a decent player, just overpaid and overplayed. He'll "do" for now.

Trading what could possibly be a future #1 defenseman is mental. Our blueline has been terrible. That's no reason to make a trade.

Our coach is a damn moron sometimes. That's no reason to trade a player.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
JvR had a great playoff series against Boston, got injured the next year, suddenly gets traded because the Flyers probably don't think as high of him as they did a year ago.

JvR was on pace to put up 55 points given top 6 minutes and should crack 60+ this season.

I do not want to be on the receiving end of a crappy trade that sees Gardiner putting up 40 points per year in the near future while we don't get full value for his potential.

If they want to trade him...that's fine by me, but he better return us the equivalent of his potential.

Like you said, I don't mind if they trade him as long as you trade him at full value and not any less.

ScotsLeaf

Aug 29, 2013
Balloch,Scotland
I think Reimer + Gardiner + 1st Rounder may give us a really great, young #2 (potentially #1) centerman.

edit: would LOVE to make an offer to Colorado but without Reimer in the mix I don't think we have enough to pry away one of their centers and COL doesn't need a goalie.

I think going this route we dont create any holes getting ROR (if it is enough to get him) and we still get a 1st rounder. Liles can take Gardiner place if needed but not required.

I'm glad you aint making the deals :)

Kyle Doobas*

Just for fun imagine if we could trade Bozak instead of Kadri to get ROR.

Bozak + Gardiner + 1st rounder + prospect for ROR

JVR - ROR - Kessel
Lupal - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kuli (cant spell name)

Have ROR and Kadri fight it out for top spot!! That is something to dream about.
Bozak + Gardiner is plenty for ROR.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011

WTF is this? I don't even...

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I just don't understand. Gardiner has some egregious giveaways, but he's also tremendous at holding onto the puck and great at o-zone gain and d-zone exits. Which is what good teams have.

Unless Dale Tallon has a stroke in the middle of a talk with Nonis and Tallon's intern who brings him coffee and who is also secretly a Leafs fan manages to get his flailing arms to sign off on a trade of Gardiner for Huberdeau/Barkov, not seeing it.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Which I understand but you trade Gardiner if it gives you a #1C which is something the Leafs desperately need. Thats something people have been complaining about since Sundin left . We have an overabundance of defensive players.Sure Gardiner is a nice piece to have but we have a ton of guys that can actually fit in Carlyle's system .

As for JVR, Philly could give him up, they had a lot of forward depth and needed help on D to help relieve the absence of Pronger.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
not trading Kadri for ROR ... sorry to break it to you guys but the grass isnt greener there.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I just don't understand. Gardiner has some egregious giveaways, but he's also tremendous at holding onto the puck and great at o-zone gain and d-zone exits. Which is what good teams have.

RC and Gardiner are working on expectations but at some point they need to decide whether it makes sense or not.

Do you make a square peg in to a circle one? at what point does fitting in to RC system diminish Gardiner's ability/value or can they find a middle ground where Gardiner is trusted defensively and has the offensive freedom. Learns to pick his spots. I.e. the playoffs

Gardiner's value in RC's system vs Gardiners value on the market.

If it doesn't make sense for both sides that's okay. they are just figuring that out.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The only players I would trade Gardiner for are:

Couturier
Huberdeau
Barkov
Monahan (maybe)

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If Nonis trades Gardiner and does not get a good return based on his potential..

I think we can all agree on this:

Nonis is Carlyle's *****. Carlyle is the GM, not Nonis.

Exactly.

Carlyle to Nonis:

I dont like Grabovski - Bought out
I dont like Macarthur - UFA
I like Clarkson - Signed to a ridiculous contract
I like Bolland - Traded for assets
I like Bozak - Signed long term

Unfortunately, I dont like Gardiner - Traded.

I love Gardiner it'll pain me if he's gone :cry:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'm hoping Gardiner remains a Leaf for a long time.

If people want a young 65-70 point centre that badly, just wait 79 games and look at Kadri's point totals :nod:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Calm down people. The Leafs are not shopping Gardiner, this is not because of the 'relationship' between Carlyle and Gardiner.

To me this follows the report from Saturday that stated that teams are ASKING about Gardiner. So Nonis is seeing what other GMs would offer. Doesn't mean he WANTS to move Gardiner, but if the right deal comes along...why not?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Exactly.

Carlyle to Nonis:

I dont like Grabovski - Bought out
I dont like Macarthur - UFA
I like Clarkson - Signed to a ridiculous contract
I like Bolland - Traded for assets
I like Bozak - Signed long term

Unfortunately, I dont like Gardiner - Traded.

I love Gardiner it'll pain me if he's gone :cry:

um?

of course a GM is going to get feedback from his coach... why keep around a player if they dont fit (Grabovski)? Nonis brought in Bolland to suit Carlyle's coaching style more... as every good GM should do

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I don't usually post about trade proposal garbage because we aren't the GM and most of the time they are "pipe dream deals"

I gotta say though(sorry for no quote) whoever posted that Gardiner + Kadri + 1st for ROR is the biggest poopshoot BS unheard piece of garbage deal I have ever read on a message board, it's insulting that you even ask if that would be "enough" let alone wouldn't trade each piece of that deal separately for ROR.

What it comes down to for me is this: Do not let go of Jake Gardiner, ever. This kid has +Potential written all over him and just cause he has a bad start doesn't mean you throw him to the wolves and trade him. He seems to be the kind of kid who generally is a bit of a slow starter at the beggining. If he was to be trade and we didn't receive a potential young #1 C, then that will be a huge mistake and one Leafs Nation will look at as a failure.

Bottom Line: DON'T TRADE JAKE GARDINER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad