GDT: The Manic Monday Game|CBJ vs Boston|5-6-19|7:00 p.m.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jenner and Anderson tried. Foligno's hands are made of brick. Bjork soft. Dubois lost. Atkinson... deeply disappointing in our time of need...
Bjorkstrand isn’t soft. He’s willing to go into the corners and mix it up while not shying away from hits in doing so. Soft would describe Wennberg. Bjorkstrand simply lacks physical strength some others have.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Quick reminder, guys - if folks show up here and start trolling, report it, don't respond to it. Responding only makes for more cleanup for SG and DSL and I after the fact. Thanks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
agreed, and the goal was a large part the fault of Hannikainen.

Baloney. Krejci was the third Bruin to enter the zone when he wired that puck in. There were already four Jackets there. There is no sense in which that is Hannikainen's man. He's the last coming back from the forecheck, which is typically for him as the lead forechecker. You give him crap if a Bruins defenseman gets in before him, not if the Bruins center does.

This was just a case of the puck coming down out of the air and the Jackets, including Bob, not seeing it in time. The puck landed right in Krejci's wheelhouse. Bad luck.

------------------------------------------------------​

I spotted two pucks that got on Rask's net from in close because of takeaways by Hannikainen behind the net. That's what he does. It might not sound like much but we have been needing steals like that all series.

My only gripe is that we didn't see that line more, Torts only gave them 4 and a half minutes. And of course the team was out of gas in the third.

Hannikainen's unit spent every shift in the Bruins zone, a lot of it behind the Bruins net. They had two very good chances. There was only one shot against with Hannikainen out there, it happened to go in. The expected goals stats can be misleading but you can infer from it that they dominated, their chances had a much better chance of going in than the Bruins chance, goaltending and luck aside.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You'll get no argument from me. I wanted to re-sign Calvert. I don't know if Jarmo is to blame or Torts.

How about neither? He was going to get paid $3m per, and he was on our fourth line. We knew he couldn't stay for a long time.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
How about neither? He was going to get paid $3m per, and he was on our fourth line. We knew he couldn't stay for a long time.
We'll have to agree to disagree. You can never have enough warriors - especially late in the season and in the postseason.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
I just think that it was a combination of their very good run ending (13 wins-2 losses from Vancouver game through game 3 of this series), untimely slumps of Cam, PLD and Anderson, a very good Boston team and some bad puck luck tonight.

It was a historically good season for this team. Getting over the hump of never winning a playoff series was huge. Making the playoffs for the 3rd straight year was huge. Having some of the best TV ratings in the nation in their home market and having playoff tickets snatched up in a few hours (if that) was huge.

Now they paid a huge price for this successful year and that topic is for another day.
Thank you very much for this.
A nice summary of the good things that we just experienced, and some positivity in the face of great disappointment is much appreciated.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Having slept on the results it is a bit easier to be rational. The Jackets barely made it in to the playoffs then swept the best team of the regular season. They played the Bruins tough but in the end. as Fenway mentioned above, Tukka Rask went Tim Thomas on them and that was all she wrote.

Lots of factors to be considered:

Add to the above; the insertion of David Backes in game 4 and getting Marchand under control and producing points instead of penalties.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
O
This is the most empty feeling I’ve ever had as a CBJ fan. Really thought/think this might be our best shot ever to win for the next 10 years
One thing is for sure - it’s going to be a long time before we have this great set of players. And it makes it very sad to realize next season it will be a very different team

Reactions: Madifer

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
“Jackets ended the series on an 0-for-11 dive with the power play...”

No way! Can't believe this happened AGAIN after last year series.
If you noticed it’s because Boston switched after game 3 in how they defended the power play . They brought their defenders out so we couldn’t pass across the perimeter. Same thing Washington did to us last Year . And same result Boston rolled off 3 straight, and Washington rolled off 4 straight . This should alarm management that , 1, Torts doesn’t understand offense and doesn’t really have a strategy to adjust to what the other team is doing , minus the Line jumbling, and 2) the jackets thru Torts line utilization , and the constant barrage of hitting the opponent , creates dead legs as the series goes on .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yep, and it was totally before Boston adjusted to take away our time and space out to the blue line . I remember after game 3 , Boston’s coach said they were changing how they would defend our power play , and man was he right
Boston was a good team, but I can't help but wonder if those shots that hit the posts and crossbar had been an inch to the inside, we'd be playing Game 7 tomorrow night in Boston.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I have to disagree. Foligno has great hands, the guy can dangle

True, but they freeze up whenever the puck goes off the stick. So irritating that he's very good at handling the puck in tight corners, protecting it from checks and doing small moves to change the angle of the shot... but he just has no finish whatsoever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad