The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
It takes a real lack of how the world works to believe that the top 30 people in the world at running a team are actively the current GMs of the NHL.
They’re not always going to be the best in the world, but they are always going to be better than you.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Struck me was odd that a team that's always paid through the nose for veteran leadership and mentoring and all that still wound up in a situation where a young player went bad.
Jakes had women come forward about him since his junior days. This wasn’t something that was created in this environment.

Petey O

Kuzmenko did nothing wrong
Feb 26, 2021
PDOland
What isn't going to work on you? Humour? Seriously, it's nothing personal. You obviously don't like Kane and that's fine.

I think a genuine discussion can be had as to whether hockey players should express themselves more and whether the NHL should promote it. Certainly NHL players are less outspoken than NBA and NFL players and the NHL has also done a poorer job of promoting its players.

I think there's also a genuine discussion to be had as to whether there are racist undertones to disliking the "flashiness" that a PK Subban and Kane (with his money phone) exhibited. I mean what is genuinely wrong with taking a photo of himself with a stack of $100USD bills? You obviously think it's a problem since you posted those photos but how is that an example of a headcase or bad behaviour as far as being a teammate is concerned?

A World Series of Poker Champion posing in front of stacks of $100 bills in Vegas is fine but an athlete making millions posing with $100 bills in Vegas is not?
:laugh:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Indeed. Aqua says "I want to win a stanley cup but I never want to rebuild."

Jim tells him "I'm a master scout. I can draft an NHL player with every draft pick so we only need a few and we can trade the rest to fill in our age gap. You win with players aged 24-34. This strategy means we'll never have to rebuild. I can't watch losing hockey, I just can't. I'm not a patient man."

A true symbiosis of two minds.
Glad someone else remembers this hilarious quote. It was from one of the summit events.

I've been trying to find the tweet. If anyone has it saved and can link it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Glad someone else remembers this hilarious quote. It was from one of the summit events.

I've been trying to find the tweet. If anyone has it saved and can link it, that would be greatly appreciated.

In Benning's defense, I believe he said "I think I can draft an NHL player with every pick" and not "I can draft an NHL player with every pick". Qualifying the statement with "I think" makes it slightly more speculative rather than a straight up declaration. But given the fact that Benning has lots of evidence that he can't draft an NHL player with every pick, why does he even think that?

That's a rhetorical question. This is the same front office that said there are no shortcuts while at the same time saying they were putting our young players on the accelerated development path.

Reactions: MS and F A N

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The team is in such a stupid position. They won't fire Benning and bring someone else in because the plan seems to be to wait until the twins are ready. I doubt FA will hire someone in between. So we're stuck with Jim.

At least with Green's case they have a ready made replacement in house already if they want to make a change.

Reactions: MarkMM and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The team is in such a stupid position. They won't fire Benning and bring someone else in because the plan seems to be to wait until the twins are ready. I doubt FA will hire someone in between. So we're stuck with Jim.

At least with Green's case they have a ready made replacement in house already if they want to make a change.
Shaw is the new head coach by game 20? That would Benning’s third coaching hire. How many kicks atvthe can does Benning get? Maybe with fans not buying tickets, and those who are there booing the crap on the ice, the owner will get the message he missed with the banner?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Shaw is the new head coach by game 20? That would Benning’s third coaching hire. How many kicks atvthe can does Benning get? Maybe with fans not buying tickets, and those who are there booing the crap on the ice, the owner will get the message he missed with the banner?
Dave Nonis got to hire but *ONE* NHL head coach (he "inherited" Crawford)

And the guy he hired just happened to win the Jack Adams trophy during the short-time Nonis was GM.

Nonis >>>>> DimJim

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dave Nonis got to hire but *ONE* NHL head coach (he "inherited" Crawford)

And the guy he hired just happened to win the Jack Adams trophy during the short-time Nonis was GM.

Nonis >>>>> DimJim
It’s so damned frustrating, as a fan, watching this buffoon ruin a full 10-15 years of our club. How long does that OEL contract last to? 2027! :help:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It’s so damned frustrating, as a fan, watching this buffoon ruin a full 10-15 years of our club. How long does that OEL contract last to? 2027! :help:

Yeah, and worst part is if you start planning for when we'll need to re-sign Hoglander and Podkolzin, give raises to Horvat and Boeser and maybe Miller if we hold on to him, etc, then when you add the math up you get to a point of looking to need to consider buying out the last three years of OEL's contract, and if that happens, we'll be carrying him to 2030!

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
In Benning's defense, I believe he said "I think I can draft an NHL player with every pick" and not "I can draft an NHL player with every pick". Qualifying the statement with "I think" makes it slightly more speculative rather than a straight up declaration. But given the fact that Benning has lots of evidence that he can't draft an NHL player with every pick, why does he even think that?

That's a rhetorical question. This is the same front office that said there are no shortcuts while at the same time saying they were putting our young players on the accelerated development path.

@thefeebster
Here it is

The tweet can't be found anymore as Ryan Biech deleted his full Twitter history after being hired by the Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't get what the issue is. From the quote that Peter posted and in the context of loving draft picks, Benning said "I think we can get an NHL player with every draft pick." It's an optimistic view but isn't that the whole point of working so hard preparing for the draft and using draft picks that the team acquired or didn't trade away? Heck, many of us here get excited over our late round picks every year (provided we like the selection).

I mean sure, Benning could have said that the draft is a crapshoot beyond the first [insert number] picks and he's really just taking swings and hoping for a hit to lower expectations but post draft every team talks about how they felt good about the players they drafted. They don't talk about how they feel good about the bets they made. The only time they even remotely talk about draft picks like they are likely to bust is in the context of having traded away draft picks or having acquired extra draft picks: "It gives us more shots at it."

Reactions: Lindgren

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I don't get what the issue is. From the quote that Peter posted and in the context of loving draft picks, Benning said "I think we can get an NHL player with every draft pick." It's an optimistic view but isn't that the whole point of working so hard preparing for the draft and using draft picks that the team acquired or didn't trade away? Heck, many of us here get excited over our late round picks every year (provided we like the selection).

I mean sure, Benning could have said that the draft is a crapshoot beyond the first [insert number] picks and he's really just taking swings and hoping for a hit to lower expectations but post draft every team talks about how they felt good about the players they drafted. They don't talk about how they feel good about the bets they made. The only time they even remotely talk about draft picks like they are likely to bust is in the context of having traded away draft picks or having acquired extra draft picks: "It gives us more shots at it."

It was an absurd comment. It's the type of comment that rightly sticks to whatever GM feels compelled to utter such nonsense - It just so happens to have been Jim. There is no defense. He said it, and it was a silly thing to say. Anyone who follows hockey could easily debunk it, and Benning debunked it himself.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was an absurd comment. It's the type of comment that rightly sticks to whatever GM feels compelled to utter such nonsense - It just so happens to have been Jim. There is no defense. He said it, and it was a silly thing to say. Anyone who follows hockey could easily debunk it, and Benning debunked it himself.

How can it be easily debunked? CAN a team draft an NHL player with every pick? They can. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Yes.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
How many times in NHL history has a team drafted a NHL player with every pick? Reality debunks Jim's words. It was an absurd thing to say. If he thinks he can, probabilities say he's delusional. If Gillis said it you'd be all over him for it, and rightfully so. Quantum physics says that it's possible to walk right through a brick wall... But, in the normal world, normal people say it's not possible to walk through a brick wall and you'll bump your head because it is so unlikely. If you are trying to defend someone saying they think they can walk through that brick wall, by quantum mechanics say it's theoretically possible so he's right to think that, that's being obtuse. Or 1 + 1 does not always equal 2, because the equation could be in another base other than 10. Obtuse defense, IMO.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
what is "genuinely wrong with that"? oh i don't know. maybe check the current state of kane's bank account and personal life . the guy lived up to the jackass photo and here we are. he's broke, addictaed to gambling, with ahistory of abusive run ins with women, in a broken toxic relationship with his wife, and has a young daughter who will pay the price.

he's a walking billboard for what is wrong with that.

Sure but that was in 2012 and by then he had signed a contract worth $31.5M and coming off a 30 goal season. Are you telling me that if Winnipeg offered him to the Canucks for a 7th round pick you would have turned down the deal?

There is probably an argument to be made regarding double standards. But, in the instance of Kane, dude has a long track record of really dumb decisions and generally being unprofessional. Like, this isn't a case of Dustin Byfuglien wearing colorful suits or whatever.

The OBC doesn't really like things that are out of the norm. See the whole video game/Fortnite (I think it was?) fiasco that the Canucks had a couple of seasons ago.

Right but again I was talking a different timeline here where he didn't (yet) have this long history.

The money phone pic was taken during the lockout, he picked the worst time for it.

Yes. People were mad like it completely destroyed the NHLPA's position.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How many times in NHL history has a team drafted a NHL player with every pick? Reality debunks Jim's words. It was an absurd thing to say. If he thinks he can, probabilities say he's delusional. If Gillis said it you'd be all over him for it, and rightfully so. Quantum physics says that it's possible to walk right through a brick wall... But, in the normal world, normal people say it's not possible to walk through a brick wall and you'll bump your head because it is so unlikely. If you are trying to defend someone saying they think they can walk through that brick wall, by quantum mechanics say it's theoretically possible so he's right to think that, that's being obtuse.

First you must believe. :thumbu:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm going to defend Benning. I think he misspoke because he is bad at speaking (among other things.)

I think what he was trying to say is that when they pick a player, they believe that player can be an NHL player. They have to believe that about every pick, that's why they are making the pick. If you don't think the player you are selecting can be an NHL player, then why select him? There's a subtle but important difference between saying "I believe that every player I select can be an NHL player" and "I believe that all the players I select can be NHL players."

Benning is a moron but there's no way he actually thought he was going to get an NHL player with every pick. He's had enough years in the league to know that's impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->