The Lure of the AHL

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Every OHL team has had, at one time or another, a player signed to an NHL team, and is in a playoff race with their present OHL team. This presents a somewhat conflicting situation for both those players and the teams who are in competition within their league. Often, the players whose teams are eliminated, get assigned to the NHL team's AHL affiliate and begin getting their professional careers started.

There probably isn't an OHL coach who would question the dedication level of any of their players, but when a team is down to their opponent and is facing elimination, one has to wonder IF a player has that option of time in the AHL has that thought in the back of their mind ? Some players might NOT be influenced in this way, but when facing an uphill climb, and the prospect of further play becoming even more difficult...what would you think ???

This situation might explain the motivation level of some players, some of whom that are relied upon by their OHL teams, but have mentally thrown in the towel, and are looking forward to an AHL or ECHL assignment.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Every OHL team has had, at one time or another, a player signed to an NHL team, and is in a playoff race with their present OHL team. This presents a somewhat conflicting situation for both those players and the teams who are in competition within their league. Often, the players whose teams are eliminated, get assigned to the NHL team's AHL affiliate and begin getting their professional careers started.

There probably isn't an OHL coach who would question the dedication level of any of their players, but when a team is down to their opponent and is facing elimination, one has to wonder IF a player has that option of time in the AHL has that thought in the back of their mind ? Some players might NOT be influenced in this way, but when facing an uphill climb, and the prospect of further play becoming even more difficult...what would you think ???

This situation might explain the motivation level of some players, some of whom that are relied upon by their OHL teams, but have mentally thrown in the towel, and are looking forward to an AHL or ECHL assignment.

Can't imagine your pro GM would be super happy to hear from his scouts that you look disinterested/distracted, lacked hustle and effort etc during your junior playoffs. Wouldn't exactly scream future pro to be basically sabotaging your own team.

I don't think any player is actively giving up in order to get some games in at the AHL level.

Reactions: Hammer9001 and Otto

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
it's yes and no from me. it seems by game 4 of a 3-0 series, the whole team is coming to the realization that it's coming to an end. in Kitchener for instance, the whole team seemed to have shut down by the end. Not just Lipanov and Damiani who are now in the AHL/ECHL. so yes, the players do seem a bit slower and not playing to their full potential. but no, I don't think it's because they are already planning their next steps

Reactions: Purple Phart

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This thought is kinda like the elephant in the room. An outright denial that this thought hasn't crossed the minds of some players, is going counter to human nature. Everyone has upward aspirations, and no, that isn't daydreaming. The body of work that players have invested in their futures negates that notion. The question becomes: When is appropriate to start looking forward from a negative situation ??? There's a time and place...no denying that. There are players who will have such thoughts, and others who live in the here and now. How they separate that is probably a very individual motivation.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This ranks up there with "they lost on purpose so they can get the money from another home game"

Individual players have no monetary interest from home gate playoff money....that's a strawman arguement. It has no relationship to the topic.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Players are probably looking to the end for lots of reasons; pro hockey, tired of the coach, tired of teammates, tired of billets, tired of the long season....I doubt you’re ever going to have every player 100% bought in, pro players struggle with that, and these are just teenagers

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Read it in context

I did read it within the context of the TOPIC. You've introduced the extra playoff gate receipt arguement, not me. Explain how that relates to the subject, which is the influence, if any, of an AHL/ECHL call-up.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I did read it within the context of the TOPIC. You've introduced the extra playoff gate receipt arguement, not me. Explain how that relates to the subject, which is the influence, if any, of an AHL/ECHL call-up.
No, I introduced the fact that the notion of players not trying to win is as ridiculous as the notion of management not trying to win.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Players are probably looking to the end for lots of reasons; pro hockey, tired of the coach, tired of teammates, tired of billets, tired of the long season....I doubt you’re ever going to have every player 100% bought in, pro players struggle with that, and these are just teenagers

Don't think anyone is saying these players lose on purpose, but it would not surprise me at all if some highly NHL drafted players start to look toward finishing up in the AHL or ECHL playoffs and start playing pro, especially if elimination seems imminent for their junior club. At that age you're always looking ahead as it is. Being on the verge of playing pro could certainly leave one's attention somewhat divided, especially if you're down 3 games to none.

Some players come back from starting the season in the NHL and work hard upon returning to the O, some don't. The O is a step for those highly drafted, a pro career is the end game.

Not saying players could care less, or don't care about winning. However I could see them having a awful lot on their mind in that situation, perhaps not as focused on their current situation as fans expect. Human nature.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
No, I introduced the fact that the notion of players not trying to win is as ridiculous as the notion of management not trying to win.

Otto, Just because you assert a notion as being a FACT doesn't make it so. It's merely your OPINION, and your opinion is equally as valuable as mine. The difference is that I try not to pass my opinion as FACTS.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I doubt ANY player tries not to win as Otto phrases it, but I could see some guys having some focus issues depending on their situation, particularly if they have a stint in the minors coming. I can't see it being as extreme as not trying to win though.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Otto, Just because you assert a notion as being a FACT doesn't make it so. It's merely your OPINION, and your opinion is equally as valuable as mine. The difference is that I try not to pass my opinion as FACTS.
Where did I say it was fact? If I were to pass it off as fact then I would have citations to back up my points, I don't. However it is my OPINION that you don't get to this level of hockey to not go all out. There have been series where teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit, and many hard fought series that go 4-5 games. There is no real way to quantify what you are suggesting unless you speak to every single player who has a pro contract, and even then you're not going to get a straight answer.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Where did I say it was fact? If I were to pass it off as fact then I would have citations to back up my points, I don't. However it is my OPINION that you don't get to this level of hockey to not go all out. There have been series where teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit, and many hard fought series that go 4-5 games. There is no real way to quantify what you are suggesting unless you speak to every single player who has a pro contract, and even then you're not going to get a straight answer.

I can agree with your last sentence, and there will never be any acknowledgement of this issue from players, coaches, management, or agents. However, I still maintain my opinion that it will remain the elephant in the room, and plays in many players' minds....consciously or subconsciously. Nobody ignores the possibility of taking that next step upward, toward a goal they've been working to attain for a good portion of their lives. I don't think that this issue raises itself in every situation, but more likely when the possibility of imminent elimination presents itself.
( edited to clarify: this is what I meant when using the term, mentally throwing in the towel. )

Reactions: louis

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Going by the effort put forth by the Storm yesterday and the Generals, Greyhounds, and Wolves today I would say nobody is looking towards the AHL right now
I think you may be missing the point.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
it's yes and no from me. it seems by game 4 of a 3-0 series, the whole team is coming to the realization that it's coming to an end. in Kitchener for instance, the whole team seemed to have shut down by the end. Not just Lipanov and Damiani who are now in the AHL/ECHL. so yes, the players do seem a bit slower and not playing to their full potential. but no, I don't think it's because they are already planning their next steps

That was nothing. In 2013 when the Rangers went out of the playoffs after game 5 in London, they just skated off the ice like they all had a plane to catch. A couple of days later Bienkowski declared it an entertaining season and I've been skeptical of the franchise ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad