Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Hughes was bad tonight but

A: He's advanced a ton since opening night

B: He's gotten garbage luck, both with his own finishing and his line's finishing.

A lot of people are going to be 'surprised' how good Hughes is next year.

Yeah, it is always next year like Zacha who got 5th goal tonight. I think this team needs experience coaching, like Scott Stevens

Reactions: MichaelJ

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I'm just going to give Preds Dmen credit and move on. We put up 5 goals, but there was some really nice stickwork from Josi and others that cut passes that could've really turned into goals easily enough on the odd-man rushes.

Hughes had about as bad a game as I've seen him play. Zacha made some nice plays but there were some ewww passes there too. Blackwood wasn't good. Defense was its typical awful, all over the ice - just weird decisions and terrible coverage.

I'm not sure why folks are hating on Wood all the time - he's actually put together a few good games there and he's really the only guy who consistently gets to the front of the net, and who consistently pushes the defense back on rushes a few times a game. At only 22 yrs old, I think if he finds a soft landing place on the right line - he's going to be a big asset along the lines of Tom Wilson someday.

Not so sure about Wood buy agree with rest

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Why, because of the years?
Difference in age when they debuted in the NHL. Hughes went right into the league while Zacha went to juniors. Zacha was already a big kid while Hughes has a lot of growing still left in him. They are also on completely different levels as prospects. The difference between Hughes potential and Zachas when they were drafted is astronomical.

They are not comparables.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
We still want Nashville to leap AZ in that scenario. As well as every team that possibly could.

This season sucks enough as it is. I really don't care about a few minor differences in the draft and standings when Arizona can just as easily win the lotto and get to keep their pick anyway.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
This season sucks enough as it is. I really don't care about a few minor differences in the draft and standings when Arizona can just as easily win the lotto and get to keep their pick anyway.
You'll care if a superstar is taken at 11 and we end up with McLeod.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

I'm just going to give Preds Dmen credit and move on. We put up 5 goals, but there was some really nice stickwork from Josi and others that cut passes that could've really turned into goals easily enough on the odd-man rushes.

Hughes had about as bad a game as I've seen him play. Zacha made some nice plays but there were some ewww passes there too. Blackwood wasn't good. Defense was its typical awful, all over the ice - just weird decisions and terrible coverage.

I'm not sure why folks are hating on Wood all the time - he's actually put together a few good games there and he's really the only guy who consistently gets to the front of the net, and who consistently pushes the defense back on rushes a few times a game. At only 22 yrs old, I think if he finds a soft landing place on the right line - he's going to be a big asset along the lines of Tom Wilson someday.
And Wood’s effort is really there every night. And his physical play. Even if he does seem like he’s spinning his tires at times, he’s got the accelerator to the floor and is hitting people. We don’t have a lot of physicality really. He’s valuable for that. I just wish he’d finish a few more of his break aways.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I'm beginning to get concerned about Hughes. He just doesn't seem mentally ready.

Just look at his pants strap sticking out like the "extra" belt, just like boys in high school in NYC in the 90's. Whoever plays hockey with guys his age knows what that means. He needs major maturing. That hanging belt is a major ego trip, kid mentality, and insecurity. I am shocked his coaches never noticed that. Nas has to have a real talk with him, tuck the belt, make him part of the team, play for the team, and start working on his game (nervous passes, IQ, defense). He is not a star, neither he is on a high school team. He is in NHL. He is undeveloped. He is below almost the entire line up. He needs to be pulled back in on his ego, and realize where he is now, and where he needs to be. Someone needs to help him get there. Right now it's a Zoo there. I'm sure in 3 years it will be different, but I don't like his development so far. Someone like Trots would lay down expectations for a player of that caliber.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What other 1st overall pick is getting 3rd pairing minutes their rookie year with offensive dynamos like Miles Wood and Wayne Simmonds ? Hughes will be fine. Age and experience will help him get better as a player.

Well, Svechnikov wasn't 1st OA, but they are pretty comparable by their talent. Svechnikov played his 1st season with some 3-4 line tweeners, and people started to talk about him busting. Yeah, look at where he's in this season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the only untouchables on this team right now are nico and hughes. the next tier, which is guys we should keep/re-sign but i’d move if the offer was lopsided in our favor, is palms, coleman, gusev, blackwood, bratt. the next tier after that would be subban, zajac, severson.

just my opinion. there’s probably people i’m forgetting for each tier, but it’s early dammit.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would like four top four dmen, we only have one and he'll probably be traded
Honestly, I think the right side would be fine if were playing capable LDs. Subban is still a top 4 despite the absence of points, Vatanen is definitely a top 4, and Severson is fine (which I know I'll get crap for). If we didn't have absolute black holes on the left the group as a whole would be a lot better.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Im glad I’m not the only one who thinks he’s annoyingly smug.
I get he's a kid and all, which is why I only pointed out his interesting personality pre-draft (and immediately after). Would have been kinda stupid for me to criticize him at the time.

But now after seeing the same type of arrogance/lack of self awareness in interviews during a season he is getting his butt kicked, I'm kinda annoyed by it. For example, there was an interview this month where he was asked about the adjustment to the NHL and what he thinks he can improve on and he basically responded with "I think I'm always confident in my game".....

I don't think the Devs have handled his development properly at all either, which isn't helping. As I said repeatedly, he should be eased in at wing. Playing him a C is simply too big of a task for such an undersized kid. Let him learn D concepts on the wing first, where it isn't as complex. It also would allow him to play a more free flowing game with less d responsibility out of the gate. Additionally, I don't like that he was HANDED center, he was HANDED PP time, he was HANDED top line time, he was HANDED 16/min a night out of the gate.

It would be one thing if he was ready to take on these roles, but he clearly wasn't. Hence a non embarrassment of a coaching staff would have made him learn D concepts and eased him along.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
So... Just got back.
I'm beginning to get concerned about Hughes. He just doesn't seem mentally ready. I'm not talking about the shootout attempt. I'm talking about his passing, play making and defending.
While I thought Hughes would be producing better numbers as a rookie and it is disappointing that he isn't, I am going to hold off my concern until next year, I'm sure there are plans in the works on getting him stronger in the off-season (there better be) and I think once he does get stronger he'll get more confident and his all around play will shine through like it did during the preseason games.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Difference in age when they debuted in the NHL. Hughes went right into the league while Zacha went to juniors. Zacha was already a big kid while Hughes has a lot of growing still left in him. They are also on completely different levels as prospects. The difference between Hughes potential and Zachas when they were drafted is astronomical.

They are not comparables.

Which makes it look all the worse for Jack. I wish he was more like Nico honestly because his personality honestly sucks just as much as his production has.

I think year two will be a different story but this is one of the worst #1 overall rookie seasons in a long time. Here's hoping we get Lafrenière because he is a player who will come into the league and easily replicate what Matthews did.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Which makes it look all the worse for Jack. I wish he was more like Nico honestly because his personality honestly sucks just as much as his production has.

I think year two will be a different story but this is one of the worst #1 overall rookie seasons in a long time. Here's hoping we get Lafrenière because he is a player who will come into the league and easily replicate what Matthews did.
Personality? What's wrong with his personality? Most 18 year-olds I have met are quite reserved, its pretty natural for a teenager to hold back especially one in the spotlight like Hughes is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->