The line to apologize to Marc Bergevin starts here ---->

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
so, you think it was a bad trade, got it!

So just wondering, when you have to resort to completely misrepresenting what others say to make your arguments seem better, do you consider this a win? Do you hope no one notices these distortions?

I've said since day one, I like the deal short term. But by itself, its not enough. And if that's all we do trade one liability for another the team is going nowhere. I hope you enjoy those 24k plated spinner rims on that pos corolla.

and the topic of this thread is not the trade, I can see how, as its the shiny new bauble that it might command all of your attention, but when you evaluate a gm you look at the body of his work, all of it. Not just the ones that work out.

but I can see, based on your post, that you would have no problem with someone saying we need to get bigger and more jam and extend DD, sign shrimp briere and extend Alexi mclimpsalot.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
KrissE should thank MB for the PK bridge contract because that is how we are able to afford to get Vanek, the other teams bidding, needed the Isles to retain a part of his salary to get under the cap. But because MB got a nice bridge contract from PK, we get Vanek baby!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
KrissE should thank MB for the PK bridge contract because that is how we are able to afford to get Vanek, the other teams bidding, needed the Isles to retain a part of his salary to get under the cap. But because MB got a nice bridge contract from PK, we get Vanek baby!
Or you know we could've just not picked up Briere...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So just wondering, when you have to resort to completely misrepresenting what others say to make your arguments seem better, do you consider this a win? Do you hope no one notices these distortions?

I've said since day one, I like the deal short term. But by itself, its not enough. And if that's all we do trade one liability for another the team is going nowhere. I hope you enjoy those 24k plated spinner rims on that pos corolla.

and the topic of this thread is not the trade, I can see how, as its the shiny new bauble that it might command all of your attention, but when you evaluate a gm you look at the body of his work, all of it. Not just the ones that work out.

but I can see, based on your post, that you would have no problem with someone saying we need to get bigger and more jam and extend DD, sign shrimp briere and extend Alexi mclimpsalot.

that's what you've been doing pretty much every post. (second bolded part is perfect example)

So, you're blind ?

I got to admit though, that "Vanek will not fix everything" analysis of yours is still awesome and really shows how great of a hockey mind you are.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Or you know we could've just not picked up Briere...

Agreed 100%. Some people around here really have a hard time with logic.

The savings from lowballing Subban went to Briere, not Vanek. With the pro-rated AAV, Vanek counts for nothing on our cap.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Weaver sucks. Beaulieu would be better than the weaker version of Bouillon.

But he is a freebie. Too bad he plays like a player we got for free.

PricePkPatch*

It was his 1st game, give the guy a break. Let him get use to his teammates, at least 10 games

NO HE SUCKS AND THEREFORE WILL ALWAYS SUCK AND NOTHING WILL MAKE ME STOP HATING ON BERGEVIN!!!

sarcasm. I really hope everybody gets it. Really.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It was his 1st game, give the guy a break. Let him get use to his teammates, at least 10 games

Didnt MB say that weaver was an acquisition simply because of gorges hand problems ? If so, he might not get the 10 games and he will be drewiske v2.0.

Does anyone see a situation ( sans additional injuries) where Weaver and gorges both dress and play ?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
God people like to complain.. everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but is it just me or Brière on the 3rd and 4th line, although yeah he's overpaid, has been a really good source of depth scoring. He isn't worst than Lecavalier, yeah he's small but he's been a beast in the playoffs and now, with Vanek, this top 9 is much more balanced. Plus, we have in him a guy that can step up anytime if any of our top 3 centers goes down or is in a slump.... and if he doesn't produce and we want a more physical team, we can always sit him and play bigger players, cause we have the depth... We were able to get a 7 million $ player at the deadline so none of the moves MB has done so far has crippled our ability to add to this team.

Add to that the fact that Tinordi played 20 minutes yesterday and although he made a costly turnover in the 3rd, I thought he played a really good game for the habs... he carried the puck, he was a lot quicker than he was before, I thought we saw a glimpse of what the futur holds with him maybe becoming a solid partner for Subban for a few years... Then you got Beaulieu who was really solid before the olympic break and who will be on this team next year.

Maybe we don't win this year, but I really like the balance the habs have throughout their lineup. When Gorges and Price come back and when Vanek finds his grove with his new team, the way Pacioretty, Desharnais and Gallagher have been playing, I really think we can do damage now.. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I just can't wait for the playoffs this year as I feel this team is probably the best we've iced in 20 year and by a wide margin. We have a blend of veteran and young players, we have some skill and now a little more size upfront, maybe not enough, but we're getting there... we have one of the best goalie in the world, two world class defender and a very solid bottom 6 at forward..

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Im not bashing Bergevin. I still have faith in the man.

Its clear that Bergevin got Weaver because of the injury to Gorges. And I am also sure that Weaver was the best he could get for the price that he paid.

With all of that said, even if Weaver plays 30 games for the Habs with his new teammates, he will still be 5' 9" and weigh 180 lbs.

Forwards that he is supposed to clearing from the crease will be clearing Weaver with ease. He's too damned small. On a team with too many small forwards.

He will have to do for the rest of the season or until Gorges is healthy.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
At least the 2nd is conditional on Habs making playoffs. I give Bergevin credit for that.

cjbhab*

what am I apologizing for?

If he was smart he would have found a way to deal Gionta for anything and Markov for a 1st + prospect and not acquired vanek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad