Blue Jays Discussion: The "Let's blow up the team" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm hoping the 2nd year is an option. Will help with the potential distraction issue (the press going on and on about it all year)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
how he is getting that much?

i didnt even think he was going to be able to get a 2 year deal.

What? Um, thanks for but no thanks. Joey bats has done plenty for Toronto, but 35 Mil +?

Can't wait to hear Shap's people explain how this is a "good" move. How is spending this much for an aging, not defensively sound player sane?:help:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am partially glad he's back for sentiment. But I have to be realistic. This is a bad deal.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...,7945,3255,3353,3892,7331,6876,2495,8610,2396

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It would have been ideal to have Edwin back, but I don't fault management for how that situation played out.

With JB, Morales, and Pearce in the lineup, I don't think our offense will miss a beat compared to years past.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
coulda been better. quite easily, too.

Could have had Syndergaard, Price, and Dave Dombroski too.

How often are you going to keep complaining? Price is gone. EE is gone. Fowler didnt sign. You sound like a child begging for attention.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004

DJQ, I love your passion, but all the WAR stats in the universe will not convince me that this was a

a) carefully planned and crafted move to make the team better or
b) move that is good for the long term of the team

This is a panic move. It's clear as day. If the numbers are correct, we're overpaying for Jose. You know this. I know this. We all know this. Shapiro et al. messed up.

I love Joey bats. I sure don't love this deal (if it's true).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What? Um, thanks for but no thanks. Joey bats has done plenty for Toronto, but 35 Mil +?

Can't wait to hear Shap's people explain how this is a "good" move. How is spending this much for an aging, not defensively sound player sane?:help:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am partially glad he's back for sentiment. But I have to be realistic. This is a bad deal.

It's only a bad deal if it prevents the Jays from making other moves because of the salary.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It would have been ideal to have Edwin back, but I don't fault management for how that situation played out.

With JB, Morales, and Pearce in the lineup, I don't think our offense will miss a beat compared to years past.

I don't either. It will be interesting to see how the handle 1B/DH/RF

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
It's only a bad deal if it prevents the Jays from making other moves because of the salary.

C'mon Bert. Be real :) 35Mil + for 2 yrs Jose?

This is a bad deal.

Like I said, sentimentally, glad he's back... but this offseason ain't winning any hearts and minds in Jaysland

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There was a time where people believed Bautista might get 30m AAV, and we're complaining about a potential 2/40 deal? Worst case is it doesn't work out and he's off the books at the perfect time. Best case he propels this team to another postseason and/or becomes trade bait for some young talent next offseason.

You can never please the no13matssundin's of the world. Hate them for letting him go, hate them for bringing him back.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Shi DavidiVerified account
‏@ShiDavidi Shi Davidi Retweeted Ken Rosenthal
Source says a one-year deal also still under consideration, as well as other scenarios. Sides working hard to complete.

Jon HeymanVerified account
‏@JonHeyman
jays, bautista r finalizing deal. not fully done but expected to be 2 yrs, about $37M. rays, indians have been in bidding.

Sounds like a 1 year deal is still on the table.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it said that the internal budget was ~$165M, and weren't we already hovering $150M for this season before this deal (if true)?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
DJQ, I love your passion, but all the WAR stats in the universe will not convince me that this was a

This is a panic move. It's clear as day. If the numbers are correct, we're overpaying for Jose. You know this. I know this. We all know this. Shapiro et al. messed up.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jose-bautista-fighting-decline/

Bautista projects to be worth $44 million over the next two years. The latest we've heard is that he's expected to sign for about $37 million.

It's more than some people wanted, but that's not an overpay. Factor in the draft pick and it's about right.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
What's next to get? Another outfielder?

I'm personally annoyed because I think they could have kept both Bautista and ee and brought in pierce, but what can you do.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

This is a panic move. It's clear as day. We're overpaying for Jose. You know this. I know this. We all know this. Shapiro et al. messed up.

a) depends on what you define as "planned". If waiting out a free agent as he lowers his asking price by three years and ~$110MM, and taking advantage of a market inefficiency is done by accident, then so be it. The 2017 team is most certainly better with him on it.

b) Two year deals rarely hurt a team long-term. One year deals plus Team option\player buy-out very rarely hurt a team long-term

Also, anything south of ~$21MM aav is actually an underpay.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it said that the internal budget was ~$165M, and weren't we already hovering $150M for this season before this deal (if true)?

Jays would be at the ~150m mark (including Stroman's arb + pre-arb player fees) if Bautista receives ~19-20m this season.

Acekicker123

Dec 31, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario
Heyman says to expect about 2 years, $37M.

Classic Jose - holds out until he can keep his pride and surpass the term (1 year vs. 2 years) and AAV ($17.2M vs. $17.5M) of the qualifying offer.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
a) depends on what you define as "planned". If waiting out a free agent as he lowers his asking price by three years and ~$110MM, and taking advantage of a market inefficiency is done by accident, then so be it. The 2017 team is most certainly better with him on it.

b) Two year deals rarely hurt a team long-term. One year deals plus Team option\player buy-out very rarely hurt a team long-term

Also, anything south of ~$21MM aav is actually an underpay.

Again, re-read my original post... it's clear as day. Anyways, we're here now.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Heyman says its around 2/37,

My optimal layout of that would be $18M year 1 and then a mutual option for $19M year 2 with a $2M buyout or something similar.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Also I don't see how this is a panic move at all

The second its firmly established that no one is going to sign Jose, his market value specifically relating to the Jays increases because you either sign him or lose him for absolutely nothing.

I remain committed to the thought that if the Jays lowball him, he just waits it out and signs in June. They were never going to get him for $10-12M (or even $15M) like some people thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->