Pre-Game Talk: The (legendary) Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tortorella's Blue Jackets game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The physicality is being over blown.

Our D throws the body around more than theirs. Muzzin and Savard is a wash in terms of physical.

Foligno and Jenner are their mass hitters for forwards. However, these two had one goal each last post-season. These two currently score at the same rate as Kyle Clifford.

The rest of the players aren't overall more physical than us. Nyquist, Wennberg, Texier, Bjorkstrand, Bemstrom, Robinson, Foudy....I don't see how these guys have more heart than our players.

PLD and Atkinson are obviously the guys we need to watch most. Shut these two down and it's a sweep.

I truly believe we have a wicked counter attack game that's going to catch Columbus off guard badly.

Our new 3rd line looks fun as hell and Rielly looks back in full form. If Barrie can get his head on straight we got something great.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I can't remember who said it in another thread, but Clifford is someone we can see move up and play with one of top two lines should CBJs try to take liberties. Players have to stand up for themselves, but there's a time and place for a fella like Kyle to be used as a deterrent. Though not a 'dirty' team, Clifford will help keep them honest.
Instantly the first time they start running anyone of our stars Clifford could be moved up on the left side to take care of it. He is solid defensively so no harm in doing it. Make sure Muzzin is on the ice at the same time. Right too that the skill guys need a chip on their shoulders to be successful ;)
It might have been myself that said that. We don’t want penalties and if they run our guys and won’t man up we run their guys i suppose. One way or the other they need to know we ate coming.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I know there was a lot of back and forth on this, but the NHL says they are qualifiers and not playoffs. Points will count as playoffs as regular season trophies voted on.

It's the correct and only call to make.
Yes, it will feel and essentially look like playoff hockey, but it's a play-in round before the big tournament.

So yeah, more practice.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
And yet they just mentioned on the Oilers/Hawks broadcast that all stats are being registered as Playoff Stats.

That's funny - I heard the same, that Hawks kid (whathisname) supposedly broke the record for most points in a first playoff game . . . well, what is it? Playoff games for Chi-town, and non-playoff games for the Buds?
They have to make up their minds.

Or it could just be media making up stuff as they go along.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
This is going to be interesting. I have Washington vs Toronto 2017 game 1 vibes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I truly believe we have a wicked counter attack game that's going to catch Columbus off guard badly.

Our new 3rd line looks fun as hell and Rielly looks back in full form. If Barrie can get his head on straight we got something great.
It'll definitely be interesting. Columbus is probably the best team at defending the rush in the league, but the Leafs are the best team at moving the puck up the ice. CBJ is going to struggle to generate offense mightily I think

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Should be. He was in the lineup against Boston.

I think Anderson is injured. He's a bruiser but coming off shoulder surgery so shouldn't be that big of an issue if he returns.
Anderson playing hurts Columbus' chances more than it does ours.

Reactions: Havoc

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Is there anywhere to watch the game while maintaining social distancing? Like Maple Leafs Square or some outdoor venue? I don’t have cable

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
On the one hand I think we should dominate. On the other hand, this team breaks my heart, always.

I'm feeling very confident and very nervous at the same time
If this wasn't so soft Columbus is no match against us on paper.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Game day. So many different feelings going on after watching hockey all day yesterday.

Please no injuries off the bat. Worried CBJ style heavy play will not be matched by any similar intensity on our side and we'll get eliminated. Optimistic our guns will come through. I just don't know lol.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's funny - I heard the same, that Hawks kid (whathisname) supposedly broke the record for most points in a first playoff game . . . well, what is it? Playoff games for Chi-town, and non-playoff games for the Buds?
They have to make up their minds.
It's playoff games for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad