The Legacy of Ken Holland

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
And yet for a couple weeks he could have won the vezina. One bad month on a bad team is gonna drop your stats like a rock. And this is his first full nhl season :laugh:

You can ignore what I said. Look at his playoff stats. That's champ level. Look at his play. Champ level. And that's on a bad team

OK. Maybe Mrazek is better than I am giving him credit for. Let's see what he does next season.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Whats it going to take for Holland to get fired? Wings need scoring and the IMO July 1 was an utter disaster. The only guy even creating scoring chances last year in the PO was Anathasiou. The best we do is resign 2 guys who combine for less than 20g a year but a salary of $5mill a year:shakehead. Radulov, the only risk that may be worth taking signs for $5.75. The part that hurts the most is that the wings actually were serious about Radulov but thought that .75mill more was too much. What a joke. Maybe other teams can laugh at Radulov, but the Red Wings certainly could not as they need scoring desperately. Neilson is an ok addition, but he is not the anwer, as proven in the Islanders dismantling in the PO by TB. If Radulov scores 40goals in Montreal and Detroit fails to make the PO or another concise 1st round exit, there is no way Holland keeps his job, at least without me protesting outside of Joe Louis

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Ken.holland is like the modern day rolling stones

While once upon a time they were trend setting and monsters at their craft, today they just resemble shrunken heads poorly replaying old favourites but trying to cover it up with glitz and glam

Ken holland is mick jager.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He has been underwhelming for a long, loooong time now. Its just taken time for the impacts of Lidstrom, Daytsuk, Zetterberg and in some respects Kronwall to fade. Now that all those players are gone or no longer elite the ruins are fully revealed.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Maybe it was my head in the sand, maybe my optimistic view on life, I really thought this offseason would be different. How upper level management doesn't learn from their mistakes is beyond me. I can excuse mistakes, it is when they don't learn from them is when it is a problem. Long term contracts are going to be the death of Detroit.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe it was my head in the sand, maybe my optimistic view on life, I really thought this offseason would be different. How upper level management doesn't learn from their mistakes is beyond me. I can excuse mistakes, it is when they don't learn from them is when it is a problem. Long term contracts are going to be the death of Detroit.

The man in your profile picture is why you have hope

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
The man in your profile picture is why you have hope

This is the wrong thread to proclaim my love for that man so I will try and stay on topic. I would think that with the issues Holland just ran into with Datsyuk's 3 year contract he wouldn't throw 5 years at an injury prone bottom six player, and 6 years at a 32 year old, but what do I know.

Not trying to say Holland didn't do well with the Pavel trade, he did, but it was still an issue. And with the boatload of other untradeable contracts I would think he wouldn't want to add to it. Pulkinnen, Jurco, and AA all should have bigger roles. Mantha should be called up too. That is all but impossible right now. Just an awful day.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Whats it going to take for Holland to get fired? Wings need scoring and the IMO July 1 was an utter disaster. The only guy even creating scoring chances last year in the PO was Anathasiou. The best we do is resign 2 guys who combine for less than 20g a year but a salary of $5mill a year:shakehead. Radulov, the only risk that may be worth taking signs for $5.75. The part that hurts the most is that the wings actually were serious about Radulov but thought that .75mill more was too much. What a joke. Maybe other teams can laugh at Radulov, but the Red Wings certainly could not as they need scoring desperately. Neilson is an ok addition, but he is not the anwer, as proven in the Islanders dismantling in the PO by TB. If Radulov scores 40goals in Montreal and Detroit fails to make the PO or another concise 1st round exit, there is no way Holland keeps his job, at least without me protesting outside of Joe Louis

Why would ownership fire him when he is doing exactly what ownership is asking of him? Maintain the playoff streak without giving up significant future assets.

Putting cash in the Ilitches pockets while the new arena is being built.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Why would ownership fire him when he is doing exactly what ownership is asking of him? Maintain the playoff streak without giving up significant future assets.

Putting cash in the Ilitches pockets while the new arena is being built.

Signing mega deals with mediocre players is giving up long term assets. It crowds out a lot of opportunity to roster other players down the road and will hinder the team from getting better when there are so many contracts the organization needs to get rid of. We already have Erickson, Zetterberg, Howard, Franzen, Kronwall. Now add Abby, Helm, and probably Nielsen to that list. That is a 3-7 year time frame of abysmal contracts.

I get the financial part though, Illichs wanting playoff revenue knowing they won't be true competitors, I do actually get that. Holland might be under orders to do exactly what he is doing.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It boggles my mind that Ilitch can force out Dombrowski, arguably the best GM in baseball, but he couldn't cut the cord with Holland when he refused the promotion to let Yzerman take over. It's embarrassing that they let him leave the organization. That stupid pride by Holland refusing to step down as GM for Yzerman has tarnished his legacy more than anything.

I'll update this when I'm done being depressed over this terrible offseason.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It boggles my mind that Ilitch can force out Dombrowski, arguably the best GM in baseball, but he couldn't cut the cord with Holland when he refused the promotion to let Yzerman take over. It's embarrassing that they let him leave the organization. That stupid pride by Holland refusing to step down as GM for Yzerman has tarnished his legacy more than anything.

I'll update this when I'm done being depressed over this terrible offseason.

Yzerman wouldn't get to inherent top 5 picks in Detroit like he had the luxury of getting in Tampa.

All the while missing the playoffs on his watch and never winning a cup despite all that talent falling into his lap.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yzerman wouldn't get to inherent top 5 picks in Detroit like he had the luxury of getting in Tampa.

All the while missing the playoffs on his watch and never winning a cup despite all that talent falling into his lap.

agreed

GMs who inherit top 5 picks or a team with 3 HoF's should ALL of an asterisk beside their name in the general manager rankings

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

One of those picks was a complete bust. Yzerman has been an incredible manager despite the position the team was in when he took over. People like to sight that having picks just leads to Edmonton because its a convenient story when apologizing for Holland. Of course you have to look at the body of work within the context of thier teams situation. If you put Holland's work over the last 7 years against Yzerman's in the same time period its a pretty sad story no matter how much you spin it. Yzerman has covered all the bases winning in the draft, on contracts, and on the trade market. Holland has a few wins here and there but the total body of work since the last cup has been atrocious. No other GM could have that track record and still call the shots this off season without the country club atmosphere.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Vanek has been waaaaaay better than I expected, playing like a man wanting to prove to himself he still belongs in this league. Guess playing in Minny was a just a bad fit for him.
I like the Nielson signing and Ott has been a lot better than expected at his age for sure.
Only aspect he still needs to address badly is defense! Kronwall can't be relied on to be healthy anymore at his age and resume of injuries in his career. Ericsson sucks and his contract is gross. Smith will be UFA but maybe worth resigning for his physical play at least. Dekeyser is a keeper and Ouellet and Sproul I think will be Red Wings for many years is they allowed to play. Marchenko needs to get sent back to G.R. Green the best of the lot obviously
We have four keeper defenseman: Green, Dekeyser, Sproul and Ouellet. The other four especially Kronwall and Ericsson contracts for years more are salary cap killers and imo thye are not worth the money in bettman sick salary cap world sadly though I like Kronwall when he can play.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Trade Howard, Sheahan, Marchenko, Jurco, Errorson and Tatar before you lose one of them for nothing this June to Las Vegas.

Coreau looks like a serviceable backup.

Sad thing is the Pizza Pizza owner may stand pat on improving team until the novelty of new arena wears off.
I won't pay to see a crappy team play but new arena will draw anyone..people are sheep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad