The legacy of 2009-10

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
I think everyone can agree that this year has been wild and exciting in hockey. There have been some entertaining story lines in the NHL regular season, the Olympics, the playoffs so far, and even the World Championship. From Crosby's historic goal in Vancouver, to Montreal's resurgence, to Philadelphia's comeback, and other surprises like the Coyotes and Denmark, do you think that this year will go down as the most memorable in hockey history? When else have so many exciting storylines and events accumulated?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I think everyone can agree that this year has been wild and exciting in hockey. There have been some entertaining story lines in the NHL regular season, the Olympics, the playoffs so far, and even the World Championship. From Crosby's historic goal in Vancouver, to Montreal's resurgence, to Philadelphia's comeback, and other surprises like the Coyotes and Denmark, do you think that this year will go down as the most memorable in hockey history? When else have so many exciting storylines and events accumulated?

1995, with Finland winning the IIHF World Championship! :yo: :sarcasm:

I guess 1972 (Summit series, Czechoslovakia [temporarily] ending USSR's winning streak in the WCs...) and 1980 (Lake Placid, start of the Islanders dynasty...) are fairly big years in hockey history, though maybe not, er, in quantity [of stories].

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1998 was a much more memorable year.

It was the first time in a long time the NHLers could play in the Olympics and coach Crawford didn't select Gretzky in the shootout and the Czechs went on to win. (The U.S. team trashed their hotel rooms.) Kariya didn't play in Nagano because of Suter's unforgettable cheapshot crosscheck to the head. The women's first ever Olympic hockey final was a great game, an American broke her arm and played through it to upset Canada for the gold.

It was the year Hasek won his second consecutive Hart and Jagr the first of four scoring titles in a row after Lemieux's last two Art Ross trophies ever. Lehtinen finally won his first of three Selkes after being a finalist the previous two seasons. Thornton disappointed as a rookie and was sent down, to Don Cherry's chagrin, but coach-of-that-year Burns knew what he was doing praising early Boston's second first round pick, Samsonov, who saw heavy ice time and went on to win the Calder as top rookie (Hossa debuted and impressed me, Marleau too; Briere began his NHL career). Early in that 1997-98 season Mario Lemieux was inducted into the HHOF (it was also the season The Hockey News came out with its epic Top-50 all-time list); Wayne Gretzky began his last season in 1998. LaFontaine got his last concussion that season and never played again.

Dallas won the President's trophy and I thought they would go all the way but an early playoff injury to their captain Nieuwendyk meant they had to wait one more year to get the cup. Lucky Detroit won the cup not even having to play Colorado because the 7th seed Edmonton shockingly beat the Avs in a game 7 epic tilt after upsetting Dallas the previous postseason in seven games as well. Washington made a cinderella run with Kolzig skillfully backstopping high scoring Oates, Bondra, Gonchar, Juneau and Bellows. Pittsburgh was upset first round and declared bankruptcy later that year.

(I also thought 1982 and 1987 big years with several before my time seeming historically more significant than 2010)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
92-93 was a big year. It was the first time a defected Soviet made a big impact in the NHL, as Mogilny scored 76 goals. Fellow Euro Selanne tied him for the lead in goals. It really was the start of the Euro domination of the NHL scoring charts.

Lots of players had career years, in part because there were two brand new (awful) expansion teams.

Mario Lemieux was diagnosed with cancer, missed 20 or so games, yet still finished with 160 points in 60 games.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
1988, 1993, and 1996 seasons are big for me, significant in their own way. After 2006, this season might go down as the next-biggest of the last 17 years... sorry, don't see why I should hold 1998 in any great regard.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
1988, 1993, and 1996 seasons are big for me, significant in their own way. After 2006, this season might go down as the next-biggest of the last 17 years... sorry, don't see why I should hold 1998 in any great regard.

96 was a great year I agree.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
92-93 was a big year. It was the first time a defected Soviet made a big impact in the NHL, as Mogilny scored 76 goals. Fellow Euro Selanne tied him for the lead in goals. It really was the start of the Euro domination of the NHL scoring charts.

Lots of players had career years, in part because there were two brand new (awful) expansion teams.

Mario Lemieux was diagnosed with cancer, missed 20 or so games, yet still finished with 160 points in 60 games.

not to mention the much anticipated debut of lindros.

10 straight OT wins.

dale hunter.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The last year of the name Divisions as well ( Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe ).

The revival of the Toronto Maple Leafs from basement dwellers to Stanley Cup contenders.

Gretzky having one of his finest playoff performances in his career and taking the Kings to the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad