The Leafs will come back and win this series

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Agree with everything but the last. That 2013 team lost games 3 & 4 at home but still forced Game 7.
And they could have very well won that series as we know. 2 OT loses. The 4-1 lead. They could have won last year's series. 3 OT loses for effs sakes. You go back and they've been in every series they've lost dating back until '99 vs. Buffalo. They've lost series' in catastrophic ways. 6 shot debacle vs. NJ. Blowout Game 7 loss to NJ. OT loss to Carolina. Game 7 blowout loss to Philly. Roenick. 4-1. OT vs Washington. But they were in all those series.

And that's what gives me some hope. They have always been in it and this team is arguably one of the better ones in comparison to those listed. I've never witnessed being swept and only seen one series go less than 6 games when the Leafs failed to advance. Maybe they won't win, but they can make it close.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Great OP!

I would love to see a bad break go against Boston. Fluke goal for Toronto, accidental own goal, Boston goal called back on review. Penalty shot goal for the Leafs on a Bruin stumble to cause it. Get the hockey gods off the Bruins' back.

But I would settle for an out-of-nowhwere 5-0 smackdown with no lucky goals too. LOL

Reactions: Rob Brown

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
Good news...So many teams are down 2-0...one team WILL come back and win. Lets do this. We need these next two at home...crazy to think how hard that is now but lets pretend it just started and we have home ice...LETS GO BUDS WIN OUR GAMES AT HOME....Give Kadri a chance to comeback and take over because I bet he can't sleep at night right now

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Good news...So many teams are down 2-0...one team WILL come back and win. Lets do this. We need these next two at home...crazy to think how hard that is now but lets pretend it just started and we have home ice...LETS GO BUDS WIN OUR GAMES AT HOME....Give Kadri a chance to comeback and take over because I bet he can't sleep at night right now
If we can tie it up, I'd bet that Naz will come back and tear it up.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
If we can tie it up, I'd bet that Naz will come back and tear it up.

That is exactly what I think....maybe I got my leaf glasses on but I want this series tied up heading to boston and Kadri back in also if this happens you can count on at least 1-2 powerplays because Boston will try to kill him hopefully he can stay calm if all this happens

Reactions: Rob Brown

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
starting now im repeating this every chance i get "in every series that goes 7 games, a team must be down 2 - 1"

except when a team goes up 3-0? then the other team wins the next 3 making it 3-3 forcing a game 7?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
except when a team goes up 3-0? then the other team wins the next 3 making it 3-3 forcing a game 7?
lol i stick by my quote..gonna live or die by it! if i need to redo my quote after next game then i will cross that bridge after

edit : although i guess im not really living or dying by it if im will to switch it after next game

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
lol i stick by my quote..gonna live or die by it! if i need to redo my quote after next game then i will cross that bridge after

You should redo it now because it doesn’t make any sense.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
So far, this is exactly how I feared we'd play, right into the Bruins hands

If we're swept, we're swept, the Jets were last year and look at that team now

Just hoho if that's the case management don't panic and go out and get big tough guys just for the sake of it

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
oh no question, Cassidy is killing Babcock. Babs has known for months that we'd be facing Tampa or Boston (most likely Boston), whereas Boston was competing for first and had like 5 potential first round opponents to prepare for. And yet like so many times this year, Babcock has our team unprepared. Boston was so ready for us it isn't even funny. It's not a coincidence that we went all year without losing by more than 3 goals and now have back to back 4 goal losses. it comes down to Boston and Cassidy knowing what they're doing, and the Leafs and Babcock struggling badly

Frankly, it probably would have been a similar story last year if we weren't up against another dinosaur coach (who might be fired) leading a team of perennial chokers. The fact is, the game is a very different one from a decade ago when Babcock won a cup. it's time for him to adapt or get left behind

Ironically, both my favourite teams in two different sports have these problems with their coaching. The game is all about imposing your game on your opponent. The old adage of "do enough to lead and then sit back" doesn't work anymore and honestly, I don't think it ever did for that matter. Look at the most successful teams of all time. Montreal's dynasty teams buried the other teams with scoring. Edmonton and NYI? Same thing. Pittsburgh currently? The trend continues. Babcock has an unhealthy obsession with trying too hard to manage the game rather than let his team go out there and fly with their skill. It's been beaten to death, but playing grinders with skill players limits skill players from their full potential.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Those Golden Knights, wow. Now that is a perfect demonstration of what a team that's optimally coached to their strengths is all about. It was definitely their roughest game of the series but they stuck to their plan and pulled it out.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
My goals posted earlier

I'd be happy if they won 3 in the first round, crazy pumped if they made it to the second round, on the moon if they made it to the third round, need to be committed if they made it to the finals, die with a smile on my face if they won the cup

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Seriously why can't we forecheck like Vegas can?

Boston is also just a much better team than the Kings......they break it out a lot faster and play at a much higher pace (and disciplined to boot). Really don't think the Leafs were outplayed that badly in game 2, just got behind early (4 goals on 5 shots). We actually had better zone time, possession, and debatably scoring chances. Our expected goals was slightly higher too.

I know it provides little solace to overanalyze the microstats.... but I've said about 10 times in the last day that I really think Andersen played 2 straight stinkers, and I've been a big time Andy supporter. Eye-test matches for me as well. He needs to give us a chance to win, but ideally, steal a game or two.

Reactions: Brown Dog

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Great OP!

I would love to see a bad break go against Boston. Fluke goal for Toronto, accidental own goal, Boston goal called back on review. Penalty shot goal for the Leafs on a Bruin stumble to cause it. Get the hockey gods off the Bruins' back.

But I would settle for an out-of-nowhwere 5-0 smackdown with no lucky goals too. LOL

Rask is an elite goaltender and elite goaltenders don't rely on flukes. They stop them regardless how hard it appears to save them. He already has saved quite a lot of close ones. Can't say the same for Andersen when he swims in the crease everytime a bruin gets close to the blue paint.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Trying to be optimistic and obviously it isn't over. One game and one win at a time.
The one thing that is clear to me though:
The focus has to be on defense this off season. That doesn't mean throwing everything at 1 guy, but what's clear is we need at least 2 maybe 3 good defenders. Not just guys who can skate and move the puck, we need guys who can do both. Let's face it, Zaitsev, Polak, Hainsey (for half the season), Carrick have all been brutal. Rielly and Gardiner have also had their share of struggles. Dermott is still a kid and as good as he's been in games, he has been exposed as a rookie in some games which is to be expected.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The mighty Quinn oh he has been
Not relegated to the dustybin
Leafs don't take it on the chin
Wisen up and steal the win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad