The Leafs will come back and win this series

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Watching the Wild absolutely f***ing destroy the Jets at home tonight after how they got destroyed Games 1-2 gives me some hope. Doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen to us though.

Reactions: Rob Brown

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Anything can happen. They need to do the unexpected I think. They need to play, fast and be relentless.
Nothing changes fortunes like the way a goaltender does. It's the Heart of every team. A bounce back in the series is 100% related to the play of Anderson.

Having said that it doesn't matter this team is going nowhere having to constantly hide JVR 5v5 and trying to regain the momentum shifts he gives the opposition.

He's the achilies. He's the unpopular choice to take out of the lineup do to so many believing he's valuable because he could score goals not understanding that all his goals come from his teammates having to overcome him being a pylon to set up his goals.

When JVR is off this team is when this Leaf team can take the leap to contender. Until then it's all for not. Just too much to constantly having to hide him just to benefit from his pylon usefulness in front of the net for the PP.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
That 2013 team wasn't as good as this one and they forced Game 7 after going down 3-1.

Why can't these Leafs do it after going down 2-0?

This board is so negative. The slightest adversity and everyone is crying and ready to give up. Its pathetic.

You are right about losing one home game. Lose game 3 or 4 and we're done.

You know whats pathetic? The way this team lost those 2 matches is ****ing pathetic.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Props for the passion, but I don’t think this is a similar case. For one, that 1993 leafs team had grizzled vets who knew what this was about, we just don’t. I think this’ll go 5 or 6, but it’s too big a hole.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
That 2013 team wasn't as good as this one and they forced Game 7 after going down 3-1.

This board is so negative. The slightest adversity and everyone is crying and ready to give up. Its pathetic.

the thing is being a leaf fan for so long, the negativity, its hard to beleaf that we got a chance.

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014
I've been telling you guys the same thing, and the story is unfolding...

The Leafs will NEVER advance past the second round in Mathews whole tenure with the Leafs, No cup no nothing

Remember my words, I will keep reminding you., but remember my words, I have seen the future and this version of the Leafs will bring nothing but failure and disappointment....you will win nothing, you will accomplish nothing, Mathews will score some regular season points, but he is not a winner.

Remember....watch and remember....

Long time lurker but my god there are some ******* idiots on these boards. That thread is chalk full of them.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Y'all is just mad cause y'alls and ours'll Maple Leafs is losing 2-0 at the moment. But just at this moment, not for a long. Tomorrow we'll gon hang those goons up and hang em high. We gon make our presence felt and make them pay the big price. Loss, of characters. So yeah, I'ma understand y'alls frustration cause y'alls leafs is losing my leafs too so Ima understand y'all easily. Y'all is not liking the situation not like mike. I'ma goon up though. High. And real hard. Psychologically I'm the best human being in the world so I can add these thangs up and still make it real math. I see through y'all. I'm the best filosofer in the world. Right at this moment. I see how we gon spark that thang up and see to the memories of pat quinn. I also add that thang up to y'all who are losing 2-0. Y'all gon have to be more positive oriented and shave y'all heads. Be bold and bald at the same time. Do that taxidriver last route thang. That last mohawk run through the streets of Toronto. With that winning bang and thang.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Have faith Leafs Nation! Had a discussion with my father after last night's game. He was so calm, so confident, he said "I've seen all this before". He explained to me how in 1993, the Leafs lost both games in Detroit 6-2 and 6-3, the team looked a shambles, but the Maple Leaf spirit never dies. They stormed back in games 3 and 4 at home and went on to win that series in 7.

History will repeat.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
I mentioned that on the game thread last night and I can appreciate your positive thoughts. That was an incredible series and playoff run that I was lucky enough to be in attendance for each home game at MLG.
This is the difference between that team and this one in no certain order:
Pat Burns
Doug Gilmour
Wendel Clark
Mike Foligno
Dave Andrechuk
Heart, Determination and Grit with the balance of the roster all stepping up at some point in that run.
We're not there yet, and I'm afraid we may take a step back next year unless we add some quality free agents.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, sure, if you ignore the entire season, then yeah, zero indication.
Agreed if winning just one game is the debate, but Leafs can only afford to lose one and must win 4 of next 5 to survive.

After being outscored 12 to 4 in the first 2 games , that makes winning 4 of next 5 a mountain to climb and major turnaround required.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Next year, will be a interesting year with two old Leafs departing in Bozak and JVR, , however , if the Bruins boot us out in five or less, the bloated salary expectations of Nylander and Matthews will be punctured, allowing us to add something besides Tavares.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Any one watch Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Remember Captain Holt talking about the Hungarian fencing team strategy Hosszú görcs?

Your opponent racks up points early, gets over confident and you smash them basically.

Time for Leafs to Hosszú görcs these guys.

When I watch DeBrusk's stupid smug face after he scores I feel like the non first liners are definitely getting over confident. Time to strike (and bench Hainsey).

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Y'all is just mad cause y'alls and ours'll Maple Leafs is losing 2-0 at the moment. But just at this moment, not for a long. Tomorrow we'll gon hang those goons up and hang em high. We gon make our presence felt and make them pay the big price. Loss, of characters. So yeah, I'ma understand y'alls frustration cause y'alls leafs is losing my leafs too so Ima understand y'all easily. Y'all is not liking the situation not like mike. I'ma goon up though. High. And real hard. Psychologically I'm the best human being in the world so I can add these thangs up and still make it real math. I see through y'all. I'm the best filosofer in the world. Right at this moment. I see how we gon spark that thang up and see to the memories of pat quinn. I also add that thang up to y'all who are losing 2-0. Y'all gon have to be more positive oriented and shave y'all heads. Be bold and bald at the same time. Do that taxidriver last route thang. That last mohawk run through the streets of Toronto. With that winning bang and thang.

dang. thought you were gonna come at us with a new character. disappointed.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Agree with everything but the last. That 2013 team lost games 3 & 4 at home but still forced Game 7.

Reactions: Mats13

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There is no Sky Fairy, there is no heaven, and there is no afterlife.

Thanks for playing the Game of Life.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Nothing changes fortunes like the way a goaltender does. It's the Heart of every team. A bounce back in the series is 100% related to the play of Anderson.

Having said that it doesn't matter this team is going nowhere having to constantly hide JVR 5v5 and trying to regain the momentum shifts he gives the opposition.

He's the achilies. He's the unpopular choice to take out of the lineup do to so many believing he's valuable because he could score goals not understanding that all his goals come from his teammates having to overcome him being a pylon to set up his goals.

When JVR is off this team is when this Leaf team can take the leap to contender. Until then it's all for not. Just too much to constantly having to hide him just to benefit from his pylon usefulness in front of the net for the PP.

JVR isn’t being paid to prevent goals. He’s paid to score and he scored in game 2.

Pulling him out of the lineup does nothing to help the teams chances.

Fixing the atrocious d would definitely help the teams chances.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
I like the passion. Not so sure about the Pat Quinn part, but I would settle for a fired up, fast Leaf team paying the price across all 4 lines.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
I really hope so but man it's going to be tough!

They won at home...if we can split the series 2-2...I would be very happy. I am using my vacation days for the day after the leafs game and both games have been hard to watch...Losing is part of sports but ass kicking is not fun

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
he is as many dead last finishes as cup wins, so I'm not sure why he has an unshakable reputation as a winner to be honest. he's really quite capable of losing

Precisely. Both teams he won with were insanely stacked (he goes from Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Hasek and Zetterburg to Team f***ing Canada) and now he walks in to a team with a potential top 3 player in the NHL (Matthews), potential top 5 (Marner) and Niklas Backstrom's magical offspring (Nylander). I personally see what Gallant and Cassidy are doing as better. Both teams have mastered the transition game mixing it with adaptive, on the fly play. That's what the Leafs need.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Precisely. Both teams he won with were insanely stacked (he goes from Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Hasek and Zetterburg to Team ****ing Canada) and now he walks in to a team with a potential top 3 player in the NHL (Matthews), potential top 5 (Marner) and Niklas Backstrom's magical offspring (Nylander). I personally see what Gallant and Cassidy are doing as better. Both teams have mastered the transition game mixing it with adaptive, on the fly play. That's what the Leafs need.
oh no question, Cassidy is killing Babcock. Babs has known for months that we'd be facing Tampa or Boston (most likely Boston), whereas Boston was competing for first and had like 5 potential first round opponents to prepare for. And yet like so many times this year, Babcock has our team unprepared. Boston was so ready for us it isn't even funny. It's not a coincidence that we went all year without losing by more than 3 goals and now have back to back 4 goal losses. it comes down to Boston and Cassidy knowing what they're doing, and the Leafs and Babcock struggling badly

Frankly, it probably would have been a similar story last year if we weren't up against another dinosaur coach (who might be fired) leading a team of perennial chokers. The fact is, the game is a very different one from a decade ago when Babcock won a cup. it's time for him to adapt or get left behind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->