The Last Of Us Part II

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There are so many sides to come at this from, thanks for the civil discussion, guys. :D

I’ll definitely be following this game closely and carefully considering reviews before I buy it. Honestly I hope there is some degree of player choice, where straight up mutilating humans isn’t always necessary to complete the game. I get that Ellie has only ever experienced a post-outbreak world and the game will be exploring hate, but wouldn’t it be great if we explored her rising above it despite her surroundings. I guess we have to wait and see.

I was reading comments on a related story on another game site, and quite liked what this person had to say:

I’m really struggling with the level of violence in this trailer. I support ND’s right to make whatever kind of game they want to make, but the experience of watching a trailer is different from the experience of playing a whole game. Sure, ND, can claim that their intent is to make players uncomfortable and distanced from the violence on display here, and that may be true while watching one 11-minute trailer. But odds are that the game is full of levels like this one, each of which will be littered with dead NPCS before the player moves on to the next one. That kind of repetitive killing doesn’t foster discomfort or distance; it fosters a numbness that blunts the very uneasiness they claim they want players to feel. I don’t want to feel that way about the kind of violence I saw in this trailer, and that’s what’s really giving me pause about this game.
Yep. And honestly, I'm not even entirely against extreme violence being shown-- Some psychotic Japanese movies that go way further than this use it unapologetically to wonderful effect. But thinking that it's used for purely thematic/story reasons in this game is a bit naive/disingenuous, IMO. It's more of a style thing than a content thing.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I hope Naughty Dog doesn't listen to the people complaining about the violence. People are so sensitive nowadays.

Nobody is asking them to change a f***ing thing. We're just saying that each person has a different tolerance for realistic violence, that once passed will result in a lost sale for that individual.

That's how a free market is supposed to work.

And calling people grimacing at guts being sliced out of a person a 'nowadays' problem is just f***ing weird. You may as well call everyone who hasn't watched Cannibal Holocaust a ***** while you're at it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
So in talking with my somewhat (or maybe very) bi ex-gf she is currently playing through TLOU and loving it, especially Ellie. So I told her there was a sequel coming out and it is starring Ellie and that there is a recently released trailer for it you can go watch. Her response to the love story aspect of it is "ew no. I just want her solo kicking ass and taking names".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah. So... The Last of Us has always been on my games to play list (well, at least it has been for a while). I've heard great things and heard terrible things, but most of the good shit far outweighed the bad shit. Seeing the intro to The Last of Us II made me question as to whether I really want to play the original or not...

I mean, IDGAF that the main character is gay. My main issue with trailer is that it is just f***ing awkward watching characters in a video game kiss. I don't care if its male/female, male/male, female/female. That make out scene just made my wife and I really uncomfortable. I'm always down for a good love story and all but if I never again saw characters in a video game kiss, I would be quite happy.

Also... some of the shit later in the trailer, while quite bad ass... it was a lot. A bit too dark for me. Ironically enough, this part my wife really liked. She is huge into horror movies so when she saw that dude get his throat stabbed, her response was "awesome".

The game was very realistic and while absolutely gorgeous visually, hyper realistic games have never been my thing. I've heard great things about the story though so I may just suck it up for that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The original isn't nearly as intense when it comes to people murder. Also nobody kisses anybody.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The original isn't nearly as intense when it comes to people murder. Also nobody kisses anybody.

The ending is pretty intense though. And the very beginning/prologue.

I had totally forgotten how it ended but my friend reminded me of it and oh man, that was so good, with Joel sort of being "the bad guy", lying to Ellie about the potential cure because he couldn't stand the idea of losing another "daughter" even though Ellie was prepared to sacrifice herself. And Joel just murders everyone as he escapes that facility......f*** that was a good game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So in talking with my somewhat (or maybe very) bi ex-gf she is currently playing through TLOU and loving it, especially Ellie. So I told her there was a sequel coming out and it is starring Ellie and that there is a recently released trailer for it you can go watch. Her response to the love story aspect of it is "ew no. I just want her solo kicking ass and taking names".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the gameplay

Ellie gets a story and we all know what happened last time she kissed someone. This is a perfect continuation of her character arc.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The game of the year in 2020 is rumored to come out in February. Who's ready to have their heart broken and being emotionally damaged for weeks?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Bring it on. Getting whatever the most expensive edition is (outside of buying a new console).
My PS4 is at the end of its timeline but hopefully it lasts long enough to complete this game.

Also, I have to mention that I like Naughty Dog's way of announcing their games. They don't give a release date until they know that they'll be be able to release it by that time. Not like the mess with Rockstar and RDR2.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah. So... The Last of Us has always been on my games to play list (well, at least it has been for a while). I've heard great things and heard terrible things, but most of the good **** far outweighed the bad ****. Seeing the intro to The Last of Us II made me question as to whether I really want to play the original or not...
Original was basically universally adored, what bad things have you heard about it? The human enemy AI is pretty bad but that's about it. I guess if you legitimately only care about gameplay when it comes to video games it probably won't be your cup of tea, but I wouldn't consider it bad from a gameplay angle or anything. Where it excels is character development. The story is simple enough, but it's a serviceable vehicle for what they do with the characters. It's legitimately a masterclass in this regard, better than most movies or TV shows.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Release date officially set for February 21st, 2020!

It is also now available for preorder and comes with a few different editions. Ellie Edition ($229 - already sold out everywhere I believe), Collector's edition ($169 - should sell out soon if not already), and the special edition ($80) as well as the standard $60 game.

Official story trailer as well was released today:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I got them when they were 250, and they still need to adjust the price.

Oh I didnt even notice that mine was $250 too and that they reduced the price. Hopefully they don't go cancelling any because of that. My gamers club unlocked membership got me $50 off so I just saw the $200 price tag and clicked purchase as fast as I could lol

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Oh I didnt even notice that mine was $250 too and that they reduced the price. Hopefully they don't go cancelling any because of that. My gamers club unlocked membership got me $50 off so I just saw the $200 price tag and clicked purchase as fast as I could lol

I got the edition below that, and with the GC, it was $136. And TBH, I don't care about the backpack anyhow.

Although I ended up spending $200 for the Cyberpunk 2077 collectors edition, but I'm figuring as long as my GC is still active (until January), I'll go out with a bang (and lighter wallet). As for TLOU II. I hope it's better than the first, as while I did like it, the word 'masterpiece' is tossed way too much in modern reviews.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I got the edition below that, and with the GC, it was $136. And TBH, I don't care about the backpack anyhow.

Although I ended up spending $200 for the Cyberpunk 2077 collectors edition, but I'm figuring as long as my GC is still active (until January), I'll go out with a bang (and lighter wallet). As for TLOU II. I hope it's better than the first, as while I did like it, the word 'masterpiece' is tossed way too much in modern reviews.

The story is a masterpiece. Gameplay wasn't perfect but it was good enough

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Trailer kinda gave away a pretty major part of the story unless hopefully it was a misdirect.

If it isn't a misdirect then this entire game is going to end up being contrived nonsense, tbh.

It's bad enough that they compromised the ending of the first game in order to leave room for a sequel, but if the result is just "Ellie is mad because someone killed her girlfriend something something evil cult" then there's even less reason for this story to continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad