The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Final Exam - 6.5/10

I've had this on my list for a long time trying to play it co-op until a friend of mine finally bought it last night. It's basically a beat em up platformer with objectives. The gameplay is pretty basic and there's practically no enemy variety. There's only a few types of enemies throughout the whole game, there's the same boss in every level until the very end too. The game isn't bad by any means, but it just feels surprisingly average. It looks pretty nice and has online co op which is a big boost. But aside from that, it's not much different from any other platformer. I only recommend this one if you're looking for a game to play with a friend. Supports up to 4 player co op.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Man, I had so much to say about Undertale. Scrapped it all because it was too long!

+Battle System is unique for a JRPG: Bullethell meets turn based Role Playing Game
+Story. Oh god the story. It is very well written. The characters and dialogue are humorous and full of personality. While it is primarily comedy based, the game is an emotional rollercoaster. Best going in blind.
+Choices actually matter and multiple replays will remember your past actions.
+Graphics aren't amazing, but for the style the game is trying to portray, then it works perfectly. Rather colorful. Has a retro RPG feel to it. And who honestly cares about graphics in games like this?
+Sound Track is amazing. One of the best I've heard in a while mixing chiptune and real instruments. With tracks like these, you can't go wrong.

+Replayable
+Most importantly: Morality system in the game is pretty neat. The story and game changes depending on how you play the game and how many monsters you have killed. Getting the [spoil]genocide ending[/spoil] will permanently alter future pacifist playthroughs. So consequences hold weight when you decide to be an *******.

-A little on the short side.

I honestly can't think of any other negatives. This game is just really damn good and I just finished my 2nd or 3rd playthrough. My personal GOTY. 10/10

It isn't for everyone, but if you liked EarthBound (which Toby made hacks for btw), then you'll like this game as it's probably had a lot of influence from EB.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
latest

(It appears that it's difficult to get a single, game-encompassing result when you search for pictures of GTA IV, so have Niko being welcomed off the boat)

Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3, 2008)

This is one of the first games I had for the 7th generation. This, Call of Duty 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue were bought bundled with my 40GB monolith. I got Guitar Hero III too because a friend of mine had got it for his birthday the month before and it was cool as ****, and I had to have it. I wrote about COD4 not too long ago and my nostalgia trip turned to IV, bringing me full circle. If I ever finish the online stuff with Soupy I'll even Platinum the game some day, but that's another conversation.

It took me a few weeks to get through the game but I'll try and combine my first impressions with what I ended up feeling at the end of the thing. First off was the radar which looked extremely small. But I got used to it. Or one day it seemed like it was bigger is probably more accurate, that was weird. To start off there's a strange... sluggishness is how I'd put it. Not just to driving around because all the cars are a bit **** in the first area you're in but the surroundings, the characters, the story, it all seems very... muggy. It's strange to think that this was such a landmark for such a successful and popular franchise on a new console which then gave you such a limited opening. Having never played a GTA game before this I never particularly noticed or cared about that but there's a real sense of constriction to start the game which is noticeable now, especially after having played V where I followed the first mission purely by driving to see where I went and ended up being amazed as I looked at the stars over Mt. Chilliad while at a dusty petrol station somewhere. But that's besides the point.

Any sense of feeling trapped by your surroundings in the early stages of the game could be argued as being deliberate and actually quite clever since that's how the story's going. Niko, fresh off the boat to an American existence depicted by his cousin as being wildly different from the reality, expects opulent wealth and leisure. He does oddjobs for a ****** taxi company and is a rentagoon for the local Russian immigrant Mafia. I think the characterisation in the first stage is important because in what is largely a closed system to open with just two neighbourhoods available does make the whole overarching theme of chasing the American Dream seem more necessary if nothing else. Certainly the sense that there is an existence, a world larger than the one you inhabit is strong and when the payoff comes in the form of the rest of the city opening up, it seems like a logical progression.

Sadly, one problem that comes with this is the physical reality of the situation. The city is tiny. It's all broadly similar, even if the street patterns change a bit and some of the buildings get higher, there's very little variety, and you can get from one side of the city to the other (or the top to the bottom) in a hilariously short space of time. This is obviously down to the limitation of the capability of the developers when the game was made, but playing it now it really stands out. I enjoyed the snug feel of the city playing it before because I played it that much the familiarity I had with even the street names made me feel accomplished but now, it just feels limited. With what I said earlier about the point of the story being Niko progressing himself, this sense obviously translates to the story as it unfolds. Niko has two motivations, one of them is money, and there's just no point to it at all. Nothing you can do with the money besides buying hot dogs and clothes, which subsequently makes the whole game and the things you do feel sort of redundant. It doesn't help either that once you get into the high end Mafia rentagoon stuff that they all end up being broadly the same anyway. The missions you do are all pretty similar (some variation on "go here kill this person" and "go here steal this car" and occasionally "go here steal this car and kill this person") and there is a strong sense of it being a grind at points. I do think the location is a bigger cause of this than anything else though. What sort of variety can you put into gameplay when your surroindings barely vary from mission to mission? There's not much.

The story is at its most interesting when ye olde Greek storytelling method comes in: Revenge. It's what drives nearly everyone. Niko turns up in Liberty City looking for some people he was in the army with who betrayed him. Along the way he finds new enemies who wrong him who he wants to kill. It's hard to feel empathy during cutscenes with someone who makes a big deal out of certain people when you could have run over literally hundreds of people on the way to get to the showpiece event. Sadly this is a necessary evil of the genre. Thankfully though the chracterisation and the acting in these situations is very strong. For however many memes you'll have seen of Roman's daft face and NEEKO LETS GO BOWLING or some such, when there's heavy stuff, there's genuine emotion in the voice acting. The graphics aren't quite there yet but the effort is, and that's what counts. There's lots of strong characters actually, Roman and Niko are very good, villains like Dimitri, Vlad, Pegorino, the ULP guy, they're all very well fleshed out and convincing. Even Little Jacob, the man whose subtitles are in patois, when he has to be deep, he is. The strong characters go some way to cover up the shortcomings of the setting and keep the repetitive missions and story from being too draining. And for every interaction Niko has with various people (various relevant, prominent people) the progression all follows logically that leads to a great climax in the end. The only problem then is there's only really one ending you can have that has any sort of emotional resonation with you (I mean who called Kate, really?), but I'll do that in a minute.

In what was presumably an attempt to create depth and a greater sense of immersion in the extremely shallow city, there are activities you can do like bowling, pool, darts, drinking, you know, if the thought of firing RPGs at police cars ever wears off. Sadly these are generally suggested to you by annoying friends while you're in the middle of something else. These are, nearly without exception, awful and a complete detraction from the game. I hope whoever allowed them was fired at some point. The assorted companions you can build relationships with by doing these things with... who careS? Who cares about the online dating stuff (the lawyer puts out after two dates!)? Why does anyone want to do this? Horrible, horrible stuff.

Uh, what else. Graphically, it again suffers from its time in the generation, I'd imagine. Lots of grey and brown. Lots of "earth" colours. Weird grainy stuff when you drive at speed and move the camera. I really like the weather though, thunderstorms and fog especially look really good and feel very realistic. Truly idiotic NPC AI for drivers and pedestrians. I love driving across a bridge at full speed to have someone in the lane next to me drive in front of me. That's just super. The social commentary/parody is slightly jarring hearing panic merchantry from seven years ago (although terrorism is the order of the day so maybe it's not that far off). The soundtrack to the game seems quite limited. The rock station (and Iggy Pop's DJing) is largely great and pretty much the only thing worth listening to. The talk radios are all very good (and a sad loss from V), Radio Broker has one or two good songs and Electro Choc is good value at night. The hip-hop stations though, all brutal. Guess I'm a West Coast guy. Gameplay wise it's pretty standard. Driving isn't as bad as it's made out to be, although the brakes on every car seem really weak. Trying to move out of cover is annoying sometimes, and the auto-lock when aiming has strange ideas about what constitutes a target, but I enjoy picking off headshots. Oh, that reminds me.

Two things I did while playing this to make it more fun: During missions that involved gunplay I took two approaches. Generally in open areas I had a pistol, and I picked off headshots. The lack of accuracy from automatic weapons is really surprising. Aiming slightly and taking people down in one shot is much more satisfying. So is going through interiors with a shotgun like you're Omar from The Wire, just walking around blowing people five feet through the air. Great fun. The other thing I would recommend which goes back slightly to my problem with the size and immersion level of the city. To go to some missions around Algonquin/Bohan/Dukes/Broker, I took the Subway. Just walked from where I was, got to the station, went on a train and got off. It's a surprisingly efficient transit system in that regard and it's... fun. I'm not sure if fun is the right word to describe a visual equivalent of probably the most mundane part of anyone's day but it does give some amount of scale to the city, makes it feel like a more organic and believable recreation of a fully functioning system.

As I mentioned somewhere before, when I first played this I had no real context to place the game in because I'd never playd a GTA game before. I enjoyed the game then. I've played it through several times since with focuses on playing it seriously and just to **** around in, and I've had tremendous fun. I've played it recently now after having played many more games since and with a wider array of experience to call upon in deciding how I feel about it and now, I say it holds up. It's visibly dated for a number of reasons but I don't think any of these are strong enough to detract from the whole experience. It's fundamentals like the story that will do that. I do think it retains some merit as a historical point, a starting point even, for games for a whole generation, so it deserves praise for that if nothing else.

I bought the HD version of San Andreas today, so you'll see that at some point in here. At least I don't have any expectations for it or anything.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Uncharted

Finished it last week or so. Got the Uncharted Collection for my newly acquired PS4. I had never played an Uncharted game before so it was all new territory for me. I though it was quite fun, however the cover shooting was just too much.. got a bit bored with that to be honest. I did like the story though but the content was seriously lacking, 8 hour campaign? :<

75/100

I did start on the second one shortly after since it is supposed to be the best in the franchise. But in came Xenoblade Chronicles X and I dont know when I can go back to Uncharted 2 again :P

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Last week I finished Rise of Tomb Raider. I've give it a 9/10. It's a really good game. I have to give Lara props, she always finds a way to keep her limbs intact with all the falls and damage she takes.

Telletale Game of Thrones: 8.5/10 Has an interesting story. The Forrester's and the Stark's are a sad story.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Just beat uncharted would give a 7/10 good game, but felt kinda disappointed at the end

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I bought the HD version of San Andreas today, so you'll see that at some point in here. At least I don't have any expectations for it or anything.

Do yourself a favor and start with GTA 3->VC->SA

If you haven't that is. It does feel aged now, but it's still one the pinnacles of gaming history.

It'll also allow to fully appreciate the upgrades in VC and SA.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
When they're in HD and released for the PS3, I'm sure I will. Anyway:

433560-grand-theft-auto-iv-the-lost-and-damned-windows-screenshot.jpg

The Lost and Damned (I don't know how to properly title this but it's GTA IV DLC) (PS3 - 2010)

I don't know whereabouts in GTA IV's development cycle this DLC was created or conceptualised, but I'd like to put to you now an imaginary conversation somewhere at Rockstar after IV was released.

"Right boys, we need DLC to go with this game. It was one of the most anticipated games ever and sold loads, so DLC will also sell lots. We need something good which builds upon the world and the lives already explored within Liberty City in the main game, but something which also has its own unique identity."
"Lets centre a story around a group of visually identical people, focused on the least stable mode of transport in the game, while adding a weird gritty layer over the HUD and all the graphics, removing all trace of colour to make the game even less graphically remarkable than it was before."
"And get Iggy back to record hilarious **** for the radio!"
"Woo!"

Having never seen (or been especially interested in seeing) Sons of Anarchy I can't say I'm particularly enthused by a story based on a motorcycle gang. Perhaps owning to the episodic nature of this one and DLC in general the whole thing feels a bit shallow, although there are cases where there is arguably more depth to the gameplay than there is in the main game. The story itself is relatively straightforward: former head of motorcycle gang gets out of prison, doesn't understand how the game is now, leads a reckless existence which endangers his gang and his BRUTHERS, which is unthinkable and of course, unavoidable. You play Johnny, who assumes control and has to deal with assorted factions within the gang tearing it apart. Except, there's a slight problem with how this is depicted. That is... unevenly. The story doesn't have a great amount of flow to it. Missions, the variety of missions, are improved greatly from IV since it's n o longer all just "go here, kill this," but the escalation of things in the story come out of nowhere - the ending especially is particularly abrupt. The timeline of events follows IV and there is crossover too, you join Niko briefly in a couple of missions (he's no longer wearing his nice suit I had him wearing in the game, tragically) and you see the guy from the other DLC but I'm not sure I like this. I get that it's adding to the feeling of immersion by showing how there's so many stories in Liberty City and how they all interconnect and influence each other but the cases of the three protagonists meeting up all feel contrived and token, plus it just adds to the sense of shallowness of the city as a whole. If it contains these people and these events, what about the other thousands that are there? This feels like an extremely spoiled and improbable thing to complain about but I think the neatness of the connection between the three stories is what doesn't sit right with me. The stories are all largely closed off from any other influence, and if there is outside influence then as we saw in IV itself, it's not memorable enough to feel especially prominent.

The shortness of TLaD is its own downfall - there's no real chance for you to be really immersed in the situation the gang finds itself in as there is with the Bellics' struggles to establish themselves. One advantage the gang has is starting in Alderney which now feels like a familiar place which belongs to a person or a group which it never did in IV because you spent so much time in the previous neighbourhoods before getting there. The area as a whole feels much more distinctive, and the already distinctive means of getting around it plays a major part in that. The acting and the characters are all as consistent as they were in the main game. The only real problem with some is the rather homogenous nature of the game coupled with its length - there's a lot of people who are all fairly similar, telling them apart isn't easy when you've probably got ~5 hours of story time at most. The truly distinctive characters are the ones who sit outside the gang itself, inevitably corrupt and naked politician Tom Stubbs is more menacing than any of the wannabe Mafioso types Niko encountered, Ray Boccino makes an appearance and is infinitely sleazier for it, and even the involvement with Roman's kidnappers feels much more distinctive. I feel also if the episode was longer then the two black guys on the fancy bikes could have played a more interesting role - the conflict between an old reliance on trusted people/technologies and the younger generation with their modern entrapments could have added a nice angle besides the typical fall from grace. But, I suppose there are limits, and the nature of a sandbox game like IV needs a certain everyman quality to its protagonist. Dwelling too long on something as rigidly definable as a motorbike gang could get stale quite fast.

Linked to this sense of the game feeling short and feeling... off, I don't know, is the addition of two things: Races and Gang Wars. These happen in various places throughout the city, and are largely self-explanatory. Races see you up against various other bikers in the city and are great fun, mainly because you have a baseball bat that lets you knock people off their bikes. It's as hilarious as it sounds. Sadly, the AI is appalling and you can quite easily win races after about two corners. They can't even rubber band properly. Gang wars are slightly more complex. You go to an area, get some members of your gang together and go to kill some members of another gang. This doesn't have any tangible rewards in terms of gameplay besides making your fellow gang members better in combat, which is necessary for when you do some story missions. While this sounds great in theory, it's pretty much completely pointless. There's three guys in The Lost who you can 'level up' who are actively involved in the story (and in bringing you guns and bikes) who can't die. The rest of the gang is a revolving door of increasingly ludicrously named drones (one was called 'Hamm' ffs) who can die with ease regardless of whether they're on their first or eighth mission with you. Why bother, then? The gang wars help make the game feel fuller in the sense that the city feels more dynamic and alive, but the events themselves serve very little tangible purpose, aside from costing you a lot of money in bullets. They also seem to get exponentially harder as time goes on, I think I got to 15/25 and I was emptying clips of SMG fire into guys who stumbled, and everyone I was with got killed. Even the unkillable ones who just vanished. While the Races and the Gang Wars add variety to the gameplay and make the city feel like more than just an assortment of objects, they're let down quite badly by the actual content which offers no real incentive to take part, since the extra money isn't really necessary. From what I remember of the other Episode this is realised much more effectively though, so I look forward to that.

I think that's about all I have to say. There's some new weapons which range from great (the automatic shotgun) to the inexplicably useless (the semi-automatic pistol which does no damage at all), the new songs on the radio are great and so is the new DJing input from Iggy, and despite the slightly grey nature of what the DLC is based around it does feel unique and separate from the main game. It also feels like a genuinely complimentary addition to the game, which is all you can really ask for from DLC. I think I got them in a sale too, once upon a time, so I got pretty good value out of the whole thing.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Kung Fu Chaos: 4.5/10

I wanted to try this to see how the game was, since Microsoft was devoid of original franchises in its infancy (and still is, if you think about it), and while the game had promise, it falls flat due to the sophomoric humor (Captain Won Ton is a literal fat and fart joke) and the cheapness the game attains in the later stages (taunting is very important, but you're limited to when you can taunt, while opponents can taunt you after just about everything, as well as the fact that they can counter you easily, but you can't counter them while they attack). It's, at best, a novelty you should buy very cheaply, but be sure to sell it when you're done.

I actually will go into greater detail on this, but I want to make sure I got my basic feelings out first.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Tanner.jpg

Driver 2 (PS1 - 2000)

It's strange playing a game in this day and age called "Driver." Very few games nowadays, very few games ever, have been so straightforward with their title as a descriptor. You feel it would help things if it was more widespread. Imagine the carnage if you went into a shop and asked for a copy of "Shooter." As it is, that it's called "Driver" is especially significant anyway. There are lots of games today which feature driving, many still which are focused around the central concept of driving a car and you reading this have probably driven many a car in many a game, but how many of these were in games centred around driving in its most utilitarian sense - going from one place to another by means of a car? By using a car as a tool to complete a task? You can play GTA or any myriad open-world sandbox game with a million cars in it, but that's not the sole focus of the game. Even a racing game, while being centred purely around cars, has an alternative focus. Racing. Very little has ever existed in the mould of Driver (I mean the original itself, partly this, definitely not 3).

You play Tanner, he of the pictured suspiciously angular head, an undercover policeman who... polices undercover, and who drives. Very well. I'll be honest, I've got no clue what the story's about. Between trying to make out the cutscenes which I'm sure looked very nice fifteen years ago but now look like a grainy version of those Chinese news reconstructions you get, trying not to laugh at the voices or the characters (including a sadder version of Newman from Seinfeld, a chief villain who looks like a black guy trying to get into the Yakuza and his psychotic lead henchman who I swear to god looks like a background character from a 1930s Looney Tunes cartoon), there's not much room to follow the plot. The plot exists purely to send you round different maps, driving in different places to different ends. Now, to describe some of that driving.

The changes from car to car, city to city, make little difference. They look different, but unless you're driving something special like a fire engine or a van or one of the special vehicles you can unlock in the free roam mode, it's not going to affect you too much. For about two missions I was alarmed at how tail happy the cars were but when you get them under control, it's perfect arcade driving physics. I'm surprised at how well the driving holds up for a game so old actually, the only real problem is trying to judge distances in the environment (which I'll come to later). In manoeuvring the cars, you'll have fun, and they'll do what you want. The four maps (of Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas and Rio) are all very large and... well, detailed is the wrong word. Or at least presents the wrong image. With the exception of Las Vegas which is very long and very empty save for one residential area which looks like the intro to Edward Scissorhands, the cities all have their own distinct street layouts and shapes. These are used to quite good effect in story missions, and offer a limitless amount of variety when you're running from the cops in free roam. Great. There's even some level of interaction to be had from city to city, whether it's the bridges over Chicago's rivers opening (and you jumping them as they do, inevitably) a ferry in Havana or a race track to be unlocked in Rio. This game comes with two discs and it's sort of easy to see why, however. Draw distance is hilarious. You see about half a block in front of you before the road ends with a generic backdrop image in the distance. This almost works in Las Vegas which is set in the desert, and when you're in and around buildings it's not so bad but it's really noticeable in Chicago. There's also quite frequent framerate drops which the internet tells me happened when it came out, so it's not just me playing it years later on a PS3. Allowing for the limits of the technology however, none of these things are especially game-ruining.

Now, for things to complain about. Missions. Missions where you have to chase someone and you'll lose them if they get more than a block ahead of you despite still being able to see their tyre smoke, then missions where you need to chase after someone who starts about two minutes' drive away from where you begin. That's a bit annoying. Missions where you have to chase after someone within a time limit or you'll fail because they got away, despite their car being right next to you as you're trying to destroy it. Missions with hilariously twitchy cops who start chasing after you if you have a single wheel out of line on the road. The cop AI is quite good though, mostly. They don't cheat and they're not completely idiotic. Missions where you have to get out of your car for some reason, leading you to the utterly impossible on foot sections where you are near completely uncontrollable. Missions where you need to damage a car enough to get it to stop, only to then have to drive it with 1/10th of the health bar left halfway across the map with people trying to ram you off the road. I think that's all of the complaints. Sadly, this covers quite a lot of missions. Luckily there's maybe one or two that are repeat-a-lot-to-actually-finish-it-by-luck difficult, so it never gets too wearing.

It's strange going back to a game you played when you were young which felt massive in terms of its scale and its difficulty then finishing it in two days. But I still enjoyed this, even now. If I had an infinite amount of time to waste in free roams I would. And it's a shame a game based around purely driving in this sort of manner isn't really possible anymore.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Star Wars Battlefront (PS4) 5/10

Okay, so this game isn't really one to be "beat", since it's multiplayer only (well, there's a single player survival mode, but it's not worth anybody's time in my opinion).

I'm trying really hard to rate this game in and of itself, and not compare it to the previous Battlefront titles that I was a fan of. I'm not entirely succeeding.

What this game does right? Visuals and sound. They are, simply put, stunning. Because of this, Battlefront feels like you are playing in the Star Wars movies. Fantastic.

What does it do wrong? The game play side of it is painfully average at best, and noticeably below average in certain areas. The shooting is not particularly good, as it involves a bit of a random "bullet" spread at longer ranges. The vehicles feel almost tacked on, as if to check a box really...the star fighters in particular have a very, very limited control set and feel irrelevant in any mode that isn't Fighter Squadron. Spawns are probably the absolute worst in any multiplayer shooter I have ever played. Heroes are a staple of the Battlefront franchise, but in this game they have a serious balance issue in any mode outside of the Hero-based modes. Now, don't get me wrong, heroes are supposed to be overpowered...but Boba Fett can sit back for an entire match of Walker Assault racking up kill after kill after kill, and there's not a ton you can do about it.

The game modes are fairly generic outside of Walker Assault and the Hero modes. Walker Assault itself poses a bit of a conundrum for me: while an iconic and very interesting mode to play, it is by nature asymmetrical (spoiler: Rebels die A LOT more than Imperials). Now, there's nothing wrong with asymmetry in multiplayer, but the scoring system is based heavily on K/D Ratios...which makes zero sense at all and it results in a lot of Rebel players quitting.

Now let's talk about content. Content is a major problem. They neglected to include any of the single player modes of previous games, which for a fan of the old games is a real bummer. But okay, if you're going to do that, fine, but you need to make up for it in the multiplayer version. But no, at release you got 4 friggin' maps for the main modes (5 now after a free DLC). This lack of maps is made even more frustrating by a $50 season pass of map packs...not exactly a new concept, but a real piss off if you feel there aren't enough maps to begin with. There are a wide variety of game modes, definitely...but when you combine that with lack of maps, it gets less exciting. You get 11 guns total. The progression system is not very extensive, and is extremely harsh on new players. The last gun you unlock is the DL-44, and it destroys any other weapon at close to medium range (which just so happened to be the weapon unlocked by paying $10 extra for the Deluxe Edition. Convenient). Player customization is lacking to say the least, limited to several choices of canned, generic human faces of the various skin colours, and a couple aliens once you've played the game more than you probably should.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I can't say enough about the look and feel of the game....but as a game, it falls below expectations. The aesthetic lifts it up, and the game play drags it back down to end up at about an average 5/10 game for me.

All that said, though, I still (almost inexplicably) have fun playing this game. The Star Wars feel is enough to keep me playing for at least a little while longer, despite the game play problems. Can I recommend it to others? Well, no, not unless you're really big into Star Wars and are okay with a casual shooter than you cannot and should not ever take seriously.

A quote I made in the Battlefront thread that I stand by:

For people that love shooters, this is a very light, casual Battlefield game in the Star Wars universe.

For people that love the previous incarnations of Battlefront, this game is entirely different, and light on content in comparison.

For anyone, this game is light on maps and features basically no single player (well, there's a horde mode...barely counts).

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Fallout 4 (PC) 7/10

Overall a very good game with some serious flaws.

I want to caveat this rating/review by saying that this was my first Fallout game, so I have no pre-existing idea of what a Fallout game was or should be. I'd also like to mention for anyone who hasn't played it yet: do not go in expecting an RPG. It's not an RPG. It's primarily an action game with a good chunk of RPG elements, IMO...but it's a good Action-RPG.

Bethesda has built an immersive, interesting world here...which probably doesn't come as a surprise. The overall aesthetic and backstory (not originally Bethesda's work, as I understand it) is actually rather unique for games I've played, and it really does work very well.

The map is, overall, not overly large (ain't small neither), but it's packed full of interesting things to do. While most open world games have me bored very quickly with mundane quests, Fallout kept me interested...up until I started doing repeating quests for the factions, which I promptly ignored. Quite a few random side quests stand out in this game as excellent and just overall interesting.

The gunplay in this game is very action-oriented, and also very fun. I particularly enjoyed the VATS system and it's interaction with the Luck talents. However, it's a bit of a mixed bag, as the age of the engine really does show - it can sometimes be very clunky to work with. This especially comes true in combat movement...and honestly just movement and environment interactions in general.

Another mixed bag is the companions and the story. While companions are overall surprisingly interesting, the game really doesn't provide you with much depth to them. The best you can hope for on some of them is a minor side quest, and it really does leave you wanting more on the more interesting characters. The story is quite intriguing and builds the world up for you, but also feels shallow and rushed by the end and leaves you wanting more. The dialogue system in the game was also rather shallow, and didn't even really give you the illusion of choice. The end result of conversations were almost always the same unless you got the Charisma "persuade" option...although the sarcastic options were more often than not hilarious, so points for that.

As for the problems, well...let's start with the settings options - barebones, is the best "word" to describe them. No FOV for a game that is available for first or third person and crams the camera right against your body is really hard to accept; especially when it's super easy to just edit in the ini file...why isn't that an option? There are several other options that are nice to have that are missing, and are easy to change in the ini. However, be careful what you change, because if you do certain things (like, say, remove the built-in 60 FPS cap) you can run into weird behaviour. Okay, this complaint is fairly minor, I admit.

The graphics themselves are okay at best. Not really a detriment outside of the awful facial animations, but really not up to current day standards. I believe this is also a limitation of the older engine. While slightly disappointing, it's not really a major point against the game.

The glitches are numerous, and they do tie in with the earlier engine complaint. Often times I found myself having to work to push the story forward, or reload a previous save because some story element glitched out. Your companions don't respond well to commands, and it often takes a ton of coaxing to get basic game mechanics to work the way they are supposed to. The presentation suffers greatly because of this.

Settlement building is a really neat add to the game...or, at least it would be, if the interface wasn't jank as hell. Could they have made it any more inconvenient to use? Yikes.

Still, despite the flaws, a very fun game to play. I will probably replay it again in the future to try a different path.

Side note, but it also earned my Game of the Year vote in the other thread. To be fair with that, though, I haven't actually played many titles from 2015. Still playing catch up on games from the last two years that I got on the cheap, I guess. ;)

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
big_1409625094_1383905852_image.jpg

Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony (PS3 - 2010)

Oh, I was going to say lots of words and can't be bothered. An automatic shotgun with explosive shells is fun as ****. Just cut about destroying cars with it. Amazing.

Jul 10, 2010
AC:Syndicate

8.5/10 Was going to be 7.5 but the last 4 missions are some of the best in the series, and bump it up a rank

I loved the setting and time period, but having the story split in two really took away from it in my mind, and the rope launcher to use to climb buildings and create ziplines i feel really cheapened the experience of climbing the buildings.

I am a big fan of the "various" ways to approach an assassination though, it creates a unique experience in each big kill, rather than run up and stab.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Fallout 4 - 7/10, ending 4/10

I really, really like the Fallout sandbox - it's pretty much the same as the 3 or NV, but with the graphics of Skyrim. Several missing storylines I thought, and a illogical ending(s) hampered it for me. The conspiracy theorist in me believes Bethesda is holding back part of the game as DLC, as subfactions like the Children of Atom, Gunners, even the Atom Cats went nowhere, and I'm sure they'll add something else about the FEV research, and a Pitt like one where you travel to somewhere else in NE.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Gauntlet - Slayer Edition (PS4) 4/10

Picked this one up as it was a PS Plus free game for December, and played it with a team of friends.

While it's hard to complain about a free game, I'm going to give it my best shot:

It has virtually no story line from what I can tell (at least none worth paying attention to), which isn't surprising since it's designed to be a fairly mindless co-op game. So how does it fair there? Well, the levels feel highly repetitive after an hour or two, and the combat is that of a crappy Diablo clone. The unlocks add a little variety, but there are only a few of them and they take quite a bit of time to unlock.

On top of that, I've had more than a few connection issues. Playing with randoms is also more annoying than fun.

If you've got PS Plus and some mindless time to kill with a few friends, it might be worth a download if you are hard up for co-op games. It can actually produce some funny situations with a couple buddies. That said, there are a lot better games out there that fill a similar role.

If you're looking at paying the original $20 price for this, I'd highly recommend that you don't. At all.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Axiom Verge - 7/10

Cool Metroidvania and it does a great job making a new game that still feels like Metroid. The soundtrack was awesome, gameplay is what you'd expect, bosses were fun. The main problem with this game was just sometimes the controls were just wonky, and it really lead to a lot of problems, especially late in the game. If you press the left thumbstick, you change weapons, happened all the time just by accident when I'm trying to quickly aim and it would get me killed. You also gained a teleport function that you just had to double tap in any direction. Problem is sometimes it would register when it wouldn't and sometimes it wouldn't register when it should. It was far too common to teleport wrong and it really kills the enjoyment in the game when you're trying to use it late in the game to get by some rather tough enemies. Overall, it was a fun game, but they seriously need to work on some of the control problems because it made the game go from what was probably going to be a 9 down to a 7 because the controls ruined the experience that much for me.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Fallout 4

155 hours of pure enjoyment, continuing the greatest series ever made. Rushed a bit to the endings and still have so much left to see. Already looking forward to another play through.

10/10

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Life is Strange:

Holy **** i don't even know where to start.

It's pretty standard fare mechanically if you've played any interactive drama/point and click type deal before. Puts a couple cool spins on it since the story is mostly based on a girl who's able to rewind time. They let you use that to get yourself out of jams, sneak past people. More importantly, they let you use it to undo any decisions made within the specific point of time, so if you decide to go one way and realize "oh god i shouldn't have done that," you can reverse it and go the other way. This can be done with conversations too. You might screw up, but learn new info in the process. This new info can be used when you rewind to get a more favorable outcome.

Gameplay is fine for what it is, you should be here for the story if you play it. And the story...Oh man. You thought games like the Walking Dead and Last Of Us could get heavy? This game makes those look like a kid's movie in comparison. The story focuses around a girl named Max, who attends this preppy secondary school. The game starts with her having a vision of her town getting obliterated by a tornado, and in this same instance she somehow discovers she can manipulate time. This leads to a twist of fate of her saving a girl in the bathroom from being shot. The resulting changing of time leads to a series of events unfolding that are both heartwarming and totally gutpunching at points. Covers a lot of serious matters like suicide in that, in a tasteful way too.

To put it lightly, episode 4 pretty much hits an emotional grand slam and damn near reduced me to a blubbering mess. it hits that hard.

9/10 easily and my GOTY. It's 20 bucks. Buy it. Or you can wait for the physical release its getting, which i believe comes with the soundtrack (also very good) and dev commentary.

I had a bit of a gap in between this and the last game i played since my Xbox kicked the bucket, forcing me to send it out for repairs.

Rise of Tomb Raider: 8.5/10

If you enjoyed the reboot in 2013, you'll enjoy this even more. It's pretty much a more fleshed out version of that. Better, less cliche story (not to say i didn't enjoy the story in the original), bigger worlds, more stuff to hunt, find, missions, etc.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Beginner's Guide - 6/10

I bought this game 100% because it was made by the same guy who made Stanley Parable. It's pretty much the same idea, just walk around and listen to the narrator. He brings up some interesting points throughout the "game" but it's not nearly as good as Stanley Parable. I think it tries to take itself too seriously and tries to get emotional about things and it takes away from the experience. I would honestly recommend skipping this one, even if you loved Stanley Parable.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
AC:Syndicate

8.5/10 Was going to be 7.5 but the last 4 missions are some of the best in the series, and bump it up a rank

I loved the setting and time period, but having the story split in two really took away from it in my mind, and the rope launcher to use to climb buildings and create ziplines i feel really cheapened the experience of climbing the buildings.

I am a big fan of the "various" ways to approach an assassination though, it creates a unique experience in each big kill, rather than run up and stab.

I just steal your review but for me it's only a 7,5. I don't really like the setting. They should go back in time, ancient Rome would be great, or medieval Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad