GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean take the World Junior out of it for a top 10 pick isn't Zegras trending in the right direction?

I mean the only thing that really scares me about his development is that he is going to a team coached by Dallas Eakins

Reactions: Smartguy

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Where did I say this in my reply? I literally said that’s a discussion for 4 years from now in a redraft. I didn’t even type a single word about what Zegras could be in the league. You are the one making claims on Broberg, so I want to know what evidence you have to back them? It’s very early in development, I think to early to say how either will fare, though Zegras likely gets his shot this week to see if he can even play in the NHL.

Newsflash for you Murray is also a bust barely able to stay healthy enough to play in the NHL, again not a debate I want to get into because many factors go into that, not just the pick at the time.

I honestly don’t care about Pulju’s tournament, why is that even brought in? I think Canadians way overate the tournament as is, these are a bunch of young kids, and people think this tournament defines their whole life. Also why are people bringing up good tournaments where players haven’t been good after to discount Zegras? Zegras’ tournament has nothing to do with these players? He had a great tournament, that can’t even be argued.

Like I’ve now said multiple times, people like you keep bringing Zegras and Broberg together, both could end up as good NHL players, it’s way to early to tell, I will gladly debate in a redraft after both players have gone through their development. I’ve made my position on it clear at the time of the draft, and still stick to it, doesn’t mean it’s right, time will tell.

I just hate the whole “we need defense” argument, which is what I debated, more often than not, as I pointed out, the drafting for positional needs or current problems has burnt organizations.

You are a great hindsight guy. Yes Murray is a bust now but at the time he should have been the pick. You are taking a hissy fit because a few of us in here said defence is the way to go
You are like “ how dare you challenge my hockey IQ, I’m Smartguy

Reactions: McTonyBrar

North

Jun 25, 2009
I’m not sure why we have to keep rehashing the Zegras stuff. Broberg was a good pick. Zegras would have been too. Both are trending in the right direction.

The only issue is Zegras was able to show what he could do against his peers while in good health and Broberg couldn’t because he was hobbled by injury.

Anybody who wants to use this tournament as a mark against Broberg is being disingenuous.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You are a great hindsight guy. Yes Murray is a bust now but at the time he should have been the pick. You are taking a hissy fit because a few of us in here said defence is the way to go
You are like “ how dare you challenge my hockey IQ, I’m Smartguy
Where did I even say that? This discussion literally started because you said Broberg would be a top 4 D? I bolded it and asked you how you knew that, genuinely curious.

You are in multiple threads, now quoted multiple times, discounting Zegras and Bringing up how good Broberg is. I’ve quoted you multiple times saying the debate is way to early, but I shared my positions and literally gave you examples as to why I made the argument over not just drafting D, as you had wrote “we need defense”.

You are the one who seems to think your smarter than everyone and has made claims, I’m literally asking you for evidence and you haven’t provided any, not that your position is wrong, I’m genuinely curious how you back up your claims.

Reactions: Aerchon

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I’m not sure why we have to keep rehashing the Zegras stuff. Broberg was a good pick. Zegras would have been too. Both are trending in the right direction.

The only issue is Zegras was able to show what he could do against his peers while in good health and Broberg couldn’t because he was hobbled by injury.

Anybody who wants to use this tournament as a mark against Broberg is being disingenuous.
Agreed. My issue is multiple posters can’t accept that both can be good prospects, and bring in “ well player X once had a good tournament and he sucks now”. Who cares, Zegras had a great tournament who knows how the next few years of his development go, unfortunately it will be on divisional rival though.

People in this thread can discuss Zegras and his tournament, and he’s a great prospect, without others having to bring up “ Well! Broberg is better!”

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Curious how you know he will be a top 4 D? Regardless of the debate you draft BPA in the top 10, because regardless of Brobergs development, it likely could be 4 years post draft that he even starts to play in the NHL, our needs will be completely different.

Not going to get into the whole debate, as I’ve said to people that keep bringing it up, it’s likely a conversation for 4 years from now when people debate a redraft. But regardless, Zegras was the BPA at the time, he is currently light years ahead of Broberg in his development, tough to compare though because of position, and I would be completely shocked if this isn’t a pick that fans bring up for the next decade as a miss.

The whole “we need defensive help” argument wreaks of passing on a Barzal or Connor for Reinhart situation again. No, not that I compare Broberg and Reinhart, just time and and time again teams have proven its best just to go BPA in the first round, forget position. see Arizona in recent memory taking Hayton over Quinn Hughes, you don’t think just now three years post draft when they are likely headed into a full blown tear down, they would love a Quinn Hughes? Again that’s a drafting for current problems mistake.

This definitely looks like another Barzal miss and I'm skeptical of Broberg due to lack of Hockey IQ but what's done is done now. If everybody is going to complain every time Zegras makes a skilled play, it's going to get unbearable around here really quick. Lets just support Broberg and hope for the best.

Also, I think Boldy would have been the better fit. That type of player with his play down low and high end skill around the net would have been absolute money with Connor but again, what's done is done and it's time to move on.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

North

Jun 25, 2009
Agreed. My issue is multiple posters can’t accept that both can be good prospects, and bring in “ well player X once had a good tournament and he sucks now”. Who cares, Zegras had a great tournament who knows how the next few years of his development go, unfortunately it will be on divisional rival though.

People in this thread can discuss Zegras and his tournament, and he’s a great prospect, without others having to bring up “ Well! Broberg is better!”

At the same time there is no need to denigrate Broberg (as some are doing) when discussing Zegras.

We have no idea what either of these guys are going to be at the NHL level and success at this tournament is just that. It’s not at all an indicator of what will happen at the next level.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Where did I even say that? This discussion literally started because you said Broberg would be a top 4 D? I bolded it and asked you how you knew that, genuinely curious.

You are in multiple threads, now quoted multiple times, discounting Zegras and Bringing up how good Broberg is. I’ve quoted you multiple times saying the debate is way to early, but I shared my positions and literally gave you examples as to why I made the argument over not just drafting D, as you had wrote “we need defense”.

You are the one who seems to think your smarter than everyone and has made claims, I’m literally asking you for evidence and you haven’t provided any, not that your position is wrong, I’m genuinely curious how you back up your claims.

Gotta move on pal. I have this thing called Work I gotta attend to. I’m 3 hrs ahead of ya.
Here is a serious question for ya

I have all the Sportsmet channels and TSN channels. I’m wondering if all Oiler games will be blacked out outside Mountain region forcing you to buy the hockey package?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
because I'm going to believe just this one time that Rishaug isn't an idiot that would believe anything..

I don't buy it. The story is changing by the minute. its laughable.

Sounds like the US now enjoying stringing this barrel story along to see who buys it.

Why is this so hard to believe?

upload_2021-1-6_10-27-15.png

upload_2021-1-6_10-27-42.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Solid game by the Yanks, but then from the bits I've seen, they've been doing it all tournament. And MVP Zegras said before the game that,"Canada hasn't been tested like we're going to test them", or something to that extent. In other words, this isn't Slovakia or Germany. Canada had a really good team, but no superstars (Crosby MacKinnon, MacDavid, etc), just a bunch of hard working guys, some with decent talent. Was really impressed with Byram, Tommosina, and Mercer. And our guy looked like he has the potential to be a solid 3rd liner. But none of them were a match for the U.S threesome of Turcotte, Zegras and Caufield. I imagine poor Holloway is going to suffer for a few months of ribbing from Caufield.:D

Reactions: Aerchon

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There was actual talk this was the best team ever? Yikes. Anybody that thinks that, go and watch the 2005 gold medal game. Canada put on an absolute clinic against a very good Russian team, one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever witnessed between two elite teams. Absolutely no comparison between that team and this one. Does this team even make the top 10 of all time Cdn teams?

If it had won last night, I would easily put them top 10, probably top 5 even, but no team will ever compare to that 2005 team. The 2005 team racked up those points against much better competition (matching 8-1 victories against Finland and Sweden and a 6-1 gold medal against Russia) instead of feeding 26 goals combined into Germany and Slovakia's net. This year's team lost and since Canada has 18 gold medals the best they can be is top 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That would be a weird feeling. The second video is pretty interesting if you haven’t already seen it, bit of a life inside the bubble sort of thing.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I mean take the World Junior out of it for a top 10 pick isn't Zegras trending in the right direction?

I mean the only thing that really scares me about his development is that he is going to a team coached by Dallas Eakins
Not looking forward to the day he becomes a full time NHLer. We are probably going to hate him as much as we hated Kesler.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't be shocked if part of the reason they preferred Broberg to Zegras is long term sign-ability. These American kids tend to come from affluence and all too often aren't interested in playing in Canada long term.

I like Zegras as a player but I'm not convinced his skill is so good as to make his physical limitations irrelevant, I'm not sure if he's a 1st liner in the NHL based on his speed and strength. He's playing in an ideal setting during a tournament like this with excellent linemates and as the primary offensive player. I'm not going to say I expect him to be a Lazar, Petan, Mittlestat type disappointment but we see these types of guys become less impressive as the opposition gets bigger and faster. Zegras has vision that makes me think he'll be better, his stats were also on another level, but I'm not sure he's more than an Eberle/Larkin level player. Who knows though maybe he's actually a future Hall of Famer and this is just chapter 1.

You won't see me complain about the draft direction lately. I like the idea of the Oilers supplementing their elite skill with big fast players who can chip in. It's certain you won't always get the best player available with your pick but it's easily forgivable if you can consistently get good players, especially ones that complement the group you have. Big, fast, smart, and reasonably skilled players like the Oilers have been accumulating make ideal two way skaters and can be valuable even if the offense is a little short. All of these young assets in Puljujarvi, Holloway, Lavoie, McLeod, Jones, Broberg, Samorukov, can be excellent complementary players to the current top 5 young forwards (McDavid-Draisaitl-Hopkins-Yamamoto-Kahun). You add in Savoie, Benson, Nygard, Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson and the Oilers have a great young core of young assets to compliment the core and perhaps even give it the elite dman it needs.

Obviously some will fall short but the sheer numbers of physically talented young players and other positive trending players makes me hopeful for the future and direction of the pipeline. I really like the young D and forwards that are going to make up this group 3 years from now. I look at some of the top teams over the past while and once they have the elite talent it's about finding and adding the secondary core. I see a lot of potential to get guys like Killorn's, Palats, Cernaks of the world from this group. Becoming an elite team likely depends on it, especially with the flat cap. I've always felt the Oilers never could get a balanced roster after 06 and never did a reasonable job complementing their core. I think this prospect group and the veteran pick ups by Holland is finally going to see this team turn the corner and be an elite team for a decade. I don't know if this team is quite there yet but I think it's close and it's exciting I just hope they get it right in choosing who to keep.

Reactions: bellagiobob

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Hollaway looked like a gamer last night. He gives me Moreau flash backs. Loved prime Moreau. Just a beast on the puck. You need those kind of guys to tire out the other team, then the high end skill can pick the opposition apart.

Reactions: Samus44 and snipes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I think the difference here would be that next year, the Oilers will still be occupying the dressing room, so no one will be in it. On normal years they don't clear out the dressing room just for a road trip.

Also next year, the pools will be split so they won't need 10 dressing rooms, just 5 so logistically it should be easier.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Classy as always America.

Yeah that's trashy to put that in the team pic like that. No question. Keep that shit in the room, that's disrespectful. Treating a victory over another team as a scalp like that is unsportsmanlike. I'm proud despite being the best hockey nation we don't do stuff like that.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hollaway looked like a gamer last night. He gives me Moreau flash backs. Loved prime Moreau. Just a beast on the puck. You need those kind of guys to tire out the other team, then the high end skill can pick the opposition apart.

Moreau is a good comparison in someways actually. Kreider’s name gets brought up a lot as well.

Little better wheels than Moreau, but he has that same relentless work ethic. McDavid has shown to play well with big wingers who can forecheck. Holloway is such a powerful skater and physical on the team as well, McDavid should be beaming thinking about him as a winger if Holloway doesn’t slot in at 3C long term.

Even internationally McDavid looked really good with Scheifeler as a winger a few years back. He tends to play his best with big, physical forechecking wingers.

I love the effort Holloway plays, he does so much right away from the puck. One area I want him to focus on with McDavid and Drai is his stick handling and puck control, if Holloway had elite hands he would have been a top 5 pick. If he can really improve on that, then Holland hit a home run with this pick. I have no doubt Holloway will be a fan favourite like Moreau was.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I mean neither of them had 18 points in a single tournament so, not really an accurate comparison. Huge difference between 11 in 7 and 18 in 7
When you consider how the score can be run up so easily against vastly inferior teams it really means very little.

Byfield had 6 point in one game. That’s like being on pace for 42 points in 7 games.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Moreau is a good comparison in someways actually. Kreider’s name gets brought up a lot as well.

Little better wheels than Moreau, but he has that same relentless work ethic. McDavid has shown to play well with big wingers who can forecheck. Holloway is such a powerful skater and physical on the team as well, McDavid should be beaming thinking about him as a winger if Holloway doesn’t slot in at 3C long term.

Even internationally McDavid looked really good with Scheifeler as a winger a few years back. He tends to play his best with big, physical forechecking wingers.

I love the effort Holloway plays, he does so much right away from the puck. One area I want him to focus on with McDavid and Drai is his stick handling and puck control, if Holloway had elite hands he would have been a top 5 pick. If he can really improve on that, then Holland hit a home run with this pick. I have no doubt Holloway will be a fan favourite like Moreau was.
How I feel about Dylan, if he works on his hands and puck control he could make a real impact being a Ethan Moreau/ Dustin brown type of player for us that can play lines 1-4

Reactions: ZenOil and snipes

North

Jun 25, 2009
When you consider how the score can be run up so easily against vastly inferior teams it really means very little.

Byfield had 6 point in one game. That’s like being on pace for 42 points in 7 games.

This is the thing people forget. The huge point totals against inferior teams. They aren’t going to be producing like that at the NHL level.

A major influence is also going to be the team that surrounds them. I’m not convinced Anaheim has the supporting cast at forward to maximize Zegras’ potential.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is the thing people forget. The huge point totals against inferior teams. They aren’t going to be producing like that at the NHL level.

A major influence is also going to be the team that surrounds them. I’m not convinced Anaheim has the supporting cast at forward to maximize Zegras’ potential.

I could see him getting hung out to dry like a young Sam Gagner. But he could also flourish similar to what Barzal has done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->