GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
People overrate the leading scorers at this tournament for some reason.

Because this is the only time that most of the people who watch this tournament view these players. If a player performs well in this tournament, they're a future NHL Hall of Famer. If a player performs poorly, they're a bust :laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A 18-20 year old Tournament = Superstar. No wonder Schroeder and Mittlestadt are such studs
I mean neither of them had 18 points in a single tournament so, not really an accurate comparison. Huge difference between 11 in 7 and 18 in 7

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Most Points at One U20 World Championships Tournament
18 points in 7 games is quite a god damn feat though. That's tied for 11th best in the tournament history. And the guys in and around him are good company.

He clearly produced, however the real test will be when he turns pro. That's when we'll see what he's made of. Personally I think that Boldy plays a pro style of game that should translate pretty seamlessly.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Zebras are living on a good hockey IQ, I am not sure he could drive a line by himself in NHL but he should have been a perfect line mate to McDavid but instead they take over a guy with none hockey IQ who McDavid dont want to play with.

Reactions: Beerfish

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Pretty harsh to call him a tool. He's cocky and breathes winning. He called it before game they would win by showing them a real team, and he came out and had 2 points, primary assist and second goal. Type of kid Oilers should have drafted over Broberg.
Oilers history of bad drafting continues. What else is new?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I wish TSN would stop pushing the narrative that this team had a chance to go down in history as possibly the greatest Canadian team ever. It was ridiculous before the game and it sounds even dumber now that they’ve lost. Because of COVID, this was the most watered down tournament we’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. Most teams were missing top players. Germany couldn’t even field a full team for the first few games. The truth is there were two dominant teams here and even if we’d have won, the lack of competition disqualifies any talk that this team was greatest ever. It made me roll my eyes to hear that, especially after the loss.

There was actual talk this was the best team ever? Yikes. Anybody that thinks that, go and watch the 2005 gold medal game. Canada put on an absolute clinic against a very good Russian team, one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever witnessed between two elite teams. Absolutely no comparison between that team and this one. Does this team even make the top 10 of all time Cdn teams?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'll laugh when it comes out that Zegras never would have signed with a Canadian team, and all of this hand-wringing was for naught.

I legitimately had that thought (as he completely dominated for like six straight shifts) during tonight's game.
Either way, I underestimated how good he is, but I'm just as happy with Broberg if
he turns into a Top4 player

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I legitimately had that thought (as he completely dominated for like six straight shifts) during tonight's game.
Either way, I underestimated how good he is, but I'm just as happy with Broberg if
he turns into a Top4 player

Let's say that Zegras ends up as good as he looked in the tournament (line-driving top line player). - it sucks that the Oilers passed on him, but they needed a Broberg (and Holloway, for that matter with regards to this years draft) much more than a forward like Zegras. They already have McDrai, they need top 4D and high end complimentary forwards (like Holloway is looking to be).

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pretty harsh to call him a tool. He's cocky and breathes winning.
I’m confused, since just last week the board got a scolding for ‘name calling’ a kid who wouldn’t get off the ice when he was told to do so by cops. I guess the lesson here is that we need to keep in mind that the real ‘tools’ of the world are gold medal winners with MVP scoring numbers.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Funny coming from a guy that can't string together a coherent sentence, or spell for that matter.

They come out all the time like this. He was probably chirping "Broberg was a great pick" when he scored 3 assists.
Hindsight is a great thing when everything is over. Its like "why didnt I buy Apple stock?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Let's say that Zegras ends up as good as he looked in the tournament (line-driving top line player). - it sucks that the Oilers passed on him, but they needed a Broberg (and Holloway, for that matter with regards to this years draft) much more than a forward like Zegras. They already have McDrai, they need top 4D and high end complimentary forwards (like Holloway is looking to be).

I draft defence as well. Broberg was 17, 6'3" 205 lbs skating like the wind in a mans league in Sweden. When Broberg arrives for fulltime use (probably 21-22 season), we will be thankful we drafted him. He will be a top 4 defenceman. You dont win unless you have a great defence. St Louis sure had a good one when they won.
Zegras is good. He reminded me of Mike Modano. Back when we drafted Nurse, I was screaming for Bo Horvat. We needed defence at the time and I understood the reasoning. Our defence in Edmonton for the first time since 06 finally looks like a steady defence and upcoming d-corps

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I draft defence as well. Broberg was 17, 6'3" 205 lbs skating like the wind in a mans league in Sweden. When Broberg arrives for fulltime use (probably 21-22 season), we will be thankful we drafted him. He will be a top 4 defenceman. You dont win unless you have a great defence. St Louis sure had a good one when they won.
Zegras is good. He reminded me of Mike Modano. Back when we drafted Nurse, I was screaming for Bo Horvat. We needed defence at the time and I understood the reasoning. Our defence in Edmonton for the first time since 06 finally looks like a steady defence and upcoming d-corps

Curious how you know he will be a top 4 D? Regardless of the debate you draft BPA in the top 10, because regardless of Brobergs development, it likely could be 4 years post draft that he even starts to play in the NHL, our needs will be completely different.

Not going to get into the whole debate, as I’ve said to people that keep bringing it up, it’s likely a conversation for 4 years from now when people debate a redraft. But regardless, Zegras was the BPA at the time, he is currently light years ahead of Broberg in his development, tough to compare though because of position, and I would be completely shocked if this isn’t a pick that fans bring up for the next decade as a miss.

The whole “we need defensive help” argument wreaks of passing on a Barzal or Connor for Reinhart situation again. No, not that I compare Broberg and Reinhart, just time and and time again teams have proven its best just to go BPA in the first round, forget position. see Arizona in recent memory taking Hayton over Quinn Hughes, you don’t think just now three years post draft when they are likely headed into a full blown tear down, they would love a Quinn Hughes? Again that’s a drafting for current problems mistake.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Curious how you know he will be a top 4 D? Regardless of the debate you draft BPA in the top 10, because regardless of Brobergs development, it likely could be 4 years post draft that he even starts to play in the NHL, our needs will be completely different.

Not going to get into the whole debate, as I’ve said to people that keep bringing it up, it’s likely a conversation for 4 years from now when people debate a redraft. But regardless, Zegras was the BPA at the time, he is currently light years ahead of Broberg in his development, tough to compare though because of position, and I would be completely shocked if this isn’t a pick that fans bring up for the next decade as a miss.

The whole “we need defensive help” argument wreaks of passing on a Barzal or Connor for Reinhart situation again. No, not that I compare Broberg and Reinhart, just time and and time again teams have proven its best just to go BPA in the first round, forget position. see Arizona in recent memory taking Hayton over Quinn Hughes, you don’t think just now three years post draft when they are likely headed into a full blown tear down, they would love a Quinn Hughes? Again that’s a drafting for current problems mistake.
we don't know that Zegras was BPA. We could have had Broberg ahead of him. Zegras was not the consensus BPA either, just the one on these published lists, not GMs.

It just seems silly that we would criticize our GM for not picking someone that some reporters said was BPA. And obviously we remember when these published lists get it right but conveniently forget when a "consensus BPA" busts.

And as an aside, the Broberg pick seemed like a BPA pick to me. We needed forward help, but we drafted a LHD, a position we are absolutely overloaded in. Seems against need and very much a BPA pick at the time imo

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

curious how you know Zegras will be a top 4 player on a team?
How did that drafting BPA BS work out when we drafted Yakupov? We clearly needed defence, they were gonna draft Murray and they were told to take BPA who was Yakupov.
I’m not gonna debate with you over this one. Puljujarvi won MVP as well and sure had a problem adjusting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was actual talk this was the best team ever? Yikes. Anybody that thinks that, go and watch the 2005 gold medal game. Canada put on an absolute clinic against a very good Russian team, one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever witnessed between two elite teams. Absolutely no comparison between that team and this one. Does this team even make the top 10 of all time Cdn teams?
I never heard much of that just a lot of they could be one of only 3 or 4 teams to never allow a goal 5 on 5, never be behind in a game and I think the last one was never be tied after 20 minutes.

Statistically it was a pretty dominant performance until yesterday, so it's not shocking there was some hype around the team.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
curious how you know Zegras will be a top 4 player on a team?
How did that drafting BPA BS work out when we drafted Yakupov? We clearly needed defence, they were gonna draft Murray and they were told to take BPA who was Yakupov.
I’m not gonna debate with you over this one. Puljujarvi won MVP as well and sure had a problem adjusting.

Where did I say this in my reply? I literally said that’s a discussion for 4 years from now in a redraft. I didn’t even type a single word about what Zegras could be in the league. You are the one making claims on Broberg, so I want to know what evidence you have to back them? It’s very early in development, I think to early to say how either will fare, though Zegras likely gets his shot this week to see if he can even play in the NHL.

Newsflash for you Murray is also a bust barely able to stay healthy enough to play in the NHL, again not a debate I want to get into because many factors go into that, not just the pick at the time.

I honestly don’t care about Pulju’s tournament, why is that even brought in? I think Canadians way overate the tournament as is, these are a bunch of young kids, and people think this tournament defines their whole life. Also why are people bringing up good tournaments where players haven’t been good after to discount Zegras? Zegras’ tournament has nothing to do with these players? He had a great tournament, that can’t even be argued.

Like I’ve now said multiple times, people like you keep bringing Zegras and Broberg together, both could end up as good NHL players, it’s way to early to tell, I will gladly debate in a redraft after both players have gone through their development. I’ve made my position on it clear at the time of the draft, and still stick to it, doesn’t mean it’s right, time will tell.

I just hate the whole “we need defense” argument, which is what I debated, more often than not, as I pointed out, the drafting for positional needs or current problems has burnt organizations.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad