GDT: The Last All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know it's just the world Juniors, but gotta be pumped if you are Florida. Lundell, Levi and Knight all playing big roles for their teams.

When is the last time a team had two draft picks be starters for their Countries? Let alone the two gold medal goalies.

I've liked Levi but he goes down on everything. One would think some NHL shooters would solve this after awhile. Goalies can win teams some games but in present era teams win everything with goalies that aren't all that fantastic, with goalies that are capable, and somewhat easily found. Its generally not a good play using your drafts to get goalies in this era when competent goalies are plentiful and there isn't as much difference anyway.

No goalies was going to stop Team Canada yesterday and sure Levi was good but the Russians have had trouble scoring most of the tournament.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm concerned that Canada hasn't really been tested in this tournament. The only team that gave Canada their best game was Slovakia. Otherwise they steamed rolled through the tournament. Kinda like Tampa Bay breezed through the regular season 2 years ago only to get upset when they faced columbus in the first round.

It's Canada's tournament to lose.

Reactions: joestevens29

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know it's just the world Juniors, but gotta be pumped if you are Florida. Lundell, Levi and Knight all playing big roles for their teams.

When is the last time a team had two draft picks be starters for their Countries? Let alone the two gold medal goalies.
Toronto had Justin Pogge and Tuukka Rask in 2006 both as starters.

Picking Pogge over Rask has got to be one of the biggest blunders in modern NHL history.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I've liked Levi but he goes down on everything. One would think some NHL shooters would solve this after awhile. Goalies can win teams some games but in present era teams win everything with goalies that aren't all that fantastic, with goalies that are capable, and somewhat easily found. Its generally not a good play using your drafts to get goalies in this era when competent goalies are plentiful and there isn't as much difference anyway.

No goalies was going to stop Team Canada yesterday and sure Levi was good but the Russians have had trouble scoring most of the tournament.

I know you’re a bit more of a classic hockey guy, but there’s method to the madness of butterfly goaltending. After all, there is a reason SV% are at their highest levels ever.

In most highly competitive leagues most shots are contested some way or another; very rarely in a game does someone get an unpressured clean look. Even if you do manage to get a clean look, when a guy gets a clean look, a 6’ 2” goalie at the top of his crease covers over 2/3 of the net even while butterflied. Not many guys, even in the NHL can pull off a shot like that reliably.

Additionally, most goals scored in the NHL are either one timers or occur very close to the net. In these cases the butterfly is ideal as it covers the maximum amount of net with reduced holes near the center of the net. Essentially all you’re creating is a sliding brick wall in the silhouette of a goalie. Since both types of shots are usually quickly taken, there’s a low chance a guy is gonna pick a corner on you, unless he’s y’know named Ovechkin, Draisaitl or McDavid.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I know you’re a bit more of a classic hockey guy, but there’s method to the madness of butterfly goaltending. After all, there is a reason SV% are at their highest levels ever.

In most highly competitive leagues most shots are contested some way or another; very rarely in a game does someone get an unpressured clean look. Even if you do manage to get a clean look, when a guy gets a clean look, a 6’ 2” goalie at the top of his crease covers over 2/3 of the net even while butterflied. Not many guys, even in the NHL can pull off a shot like that reliably.

Additionally, most goals scored in the NHL are either one timers or occur very close to the net. In these cases the butterfly is ideal as it covers the maximum amount of net with reduced holes near the center of the net. Essentially all you’re creating is a sliding brick wall in the silhouette of a goalie. Since both types of shots are usually quickly taken, there’s a low chance a guy is gonna pick a corner on you, unless he’s y’know named Ovechkin, Draisaitl or McDavid.
Pretty much this, butterfly forces the shooter to make a much tougher shot.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

butterfly is fine. Just don't spend too long on your knees or go down too quick and too often. He's telegraphing that.

In anycase, and this is the big deal. Levi hasn't faced many scorers yet in the series. All of Finland, Russia, Czechs (only reasonable clubs he's faced) have immense scoring difficulty, basically can't buy a goal. That will be different today.

I expect Canada to win, but I think Levi lets a few in today.

The Other goalies in this series have had to face the illustrious Canadians, and that will make any goalie in the tourney look a lot worse. Levi only has to face these top producers in warm up and scrimmages. Being in Canadas net, best place to be!

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Canada has been dominant in this tournament, there’s no other way to describe their run. They have yet to allow an even strength goal. They have yet to even trail in a game.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Holloway just had a good interview on TSN. Talked how excited the team is, how Edmonton feels like home to him (atta kid) and how he has some trash talk planned for Caufield but nothing he can say on camera :laugh:.

He’s got a great attitude. You can’t help but think with the way he plays on the ice and the way he conducts himself off, he’s going to be a fan favourite.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Canada has been dominant in this tournament, there’s no other way to describe their run. They have yet to allow an even strength goal. They have yet to even trail in a game.
And what's more impressive is they are missing their best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad