HF Habs: The Language Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Yes, it's the one and only taboo language thread. This thread is designated for debates regarding the Montreal Canadiens language policy ONLY regarding management hires, trades and player drafts. Not personal debates or politics.

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Why is it so against to rules to debate language ONLY concerning the Habs? It's a part of the team and organization. Why is it off limits lol ?

Its either because:

1) Talking about language is against HFBoard rules, along with politics, and must be discussed in the politics sub forum.

or

2) It triggers too many people's intense sense of pride and starts endless hissy fits that usually see exaggerated and misunderstood terms like "xenophobe" and "racist" being thrown around.

or

3) Both 1 and 2.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Why is it so against to rules to debate language ONLY concerning the Habs? It's a part of the team and organization. Why is it off limits lol ?

These threads tend to go into the dumper before too long. The Mods might give us a shot, but the leash will be short and the leash will be tight.

The truth is inevitably they become quite intolerable, although our last attempt lasted more then 20 pages IIRC.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Its either because:

1) Talking about language is against HFBoard rules, along with politics, and must be discussed in the politics sub forum.

or

2) It triggers too many people and starts endless hissy fits that usually end in the word "xenophobe' being thrown around.

or

3) Both.

But it's not political if it's only related to the hockey team. Hockey team policy and actual politics are two very different things. Hockey team policy would be arguing why Geoff Molson won't hire the best GM regardless of language or coach ?

One could be influence by the other, however the pertinent argument is only for the team.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
But it's not political if it's only related to the hockey team. Hockey team policy and actual politics are two very different things. Hockey team policy would be arguing why Geoff Molson won't hire the best GM regardless of language or coach ?

I don't agree with the rule either, but its been a rule ever since I've been on here. Almost all language debates get shut down and deleted. If it were up to me, I'd keep the language debates out of every thread except for one dedicated thread. That way, people who don't like to talk about it or read it can easily ignore it. Language is such an integral part of this organization, it seems rather silly to just pretend the issue doesn't exist and just ban all discussion.

But I don't make the rules. Just have to follow them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There is still time.

Thread title can still be bent into The Langway Thread. :sarcasm:

Reactions: groovejuice

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
Hire the best and not just the French! If they are the best at what they do and French then it's a bonus...if they are any other language hire a translator with all the extra hot dog money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->