The LA Kings have acquired the rights to unsigned draft choice Bokondji Imama.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Maybe Regulate can chime in but I seem to recall him receiving some praise from Stothers as the year went on. Not saying he will ever be an NHL player but the Reign may want to have him on the roster: especially because of all of the young guys coming in.

He was definitely an improved player this year, but IMO it's really wasting one of the Kings 50 contracts to re-sign him this off season as he is an RFA. My personal expectation is that he will not get a QO. He really only had one way to go and that was up. Stothers likes his tough guys and there is no doubt you need someone around to protect the kids. Not sure Imama would at this stage just take an AHL deal, he'll probably want to get an NHL contract somewhere. Hard to say if anyone would be willing to sign him. He still takes a lot of dumb penalties, and is a marked man by the refs. Poor hockey IQ, but his play with structure was better, and he has a pretty hard shot during the rare occasions he is in position to use it.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He was definitely an improved player this year, but IMO it's really wasting one of the Kings 50 contracts to re-sign him this off season as he is an RFA. My personal expectation is that he will not get a QO. He really only had one way to go and that was up. Stothers likes his tough guys and there is no doubt you need someone around to protect the kids. Not sure Imama would at this stage just take an AHL deal, he'll probably want to get an NHL contract somewhere. Hard to say if anyone would be willing to sign him. He still takes a lot of dumb penalties, and is a marked man by the refs. Poor hockey IQ, but his play with structure was better, and he has a pretty hard shot during the rare occasions he is in position to use it.

Thanks. I was thinking he wouldn't get an NHL deal but maybe there is a team that can squeeze him within its 50 contracts.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This thread bump made me think that they re-signed him, and all I could think is "Why?". That pretty much sums it up. Great guy, but there are better uses for the roster spot.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Think of how much bigger the Kings played with MacD in the lineup.

Then think of how small and young the Reign are.

If there's not a spot for Imama, they must think Doty or Strand can help mop up. I'm not convinced they can, and I don't think Stothers especially likes entering a season without a similar player, even if it's probably on paper 'not a good use of contract spot.'

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
During the 1st intermission of Wednesday night's (17th) Kings game, they showed highlights from the Ontario Reigns Tuesday's game (16th). Pretty impressive, especially Bokondji Imana. He was an assist away from a Gordie Howe hat trick. If anyone can link his goal and fight (entertaining to say the least) to this thread I'd appreciate it.

Note: Wednesday night Imama was a fight short of the Howe hat trick. Nice. I sure didn't like the hit Anze took against the Blues. Not sure if it would of happened with Imama in the lineup. Time for him to get a taste of the NHL?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Think of how much bigger the Kings played with MacD in the lineup.

Then think of how small and young the Reign are.

If there's not a spot for Imama, they must think Doty or Strand can help mop up. I'm not convinced they can, and I don't think Stothers especially likes entering a season without a similar player, even if it's probably on paper 'not a good use of contract spot.'
I don't think that's a role Drew wants to fill for the Reign.

Reactions: kilowatt and Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't think that's a role Drew wants to fill for the Reign.
upload_2021-3-19_8-43-3.png

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
During the 1st intermission of Wednesday night's (17th) Kings game, they showed highlights from the Ontario Reigns Tuesday's game (16th). Pretty impressive, especially Bokondji Imana. He was an assist away from a Gordie Howe hat trick. If anyone can link his goal and fight (entertaining to say the least) to this thread I'd appreciate it.

Note: Wednesday night Imama was a fight short of the Howe hat trick. Nice. I sure didn't like the hit Anze took against the Blues. Not sure if it would of happened with Imama in the lineup. Time for him to get a taste of the NHL?

The hit on Kopitar would definitely have happened with Imama in the lineup. He is in no way a feared fighter at the AHL level. He is very strong but he isn't some top-flight heavyweight. Doty is a better fighter and MacDermid was the most feared guy down there even with Imama in the lineup.

That said, I have really liked his game while watching the Reign this year. I imagine a problem with calling him up is that he'd have to clear waivers if you need to send him back down. I much prefer him to be in the lineup nightly with the 18 and 19 year olds in Ontario.

Reactions: apadilla

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Boko's still pretty young - he's only a month older than Kempe. Who knows, maybe he plays in the NHL some day. He's actually looked pretty good, and even though he was basically last on our prospect rankings before this season, I think he's improved every year he's been with the Reign. Happy for him.

Reactions: Lt Dan and apadilla

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like him and all, but I don't think he's all that close to fourth-line NHL talent. The pure enforcer is practically extinct in the league and I don't see any organizations looking to resurrect them any time soon. I think he is great for the Reign, I would re-sign him there for as long as he wants to play, but I don't see a fit with the Kings.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
The hit on Kopitar would definitely have happened with Imama in the lineup. He is in no way a feared fighter at the AHL level. He is very strong but he isn't some top-flight heavyweight. Doty is a better fighter and MacDermid was the most feared guy down there even with Imama in the lineup.

That said, I have really liked his game while watching the Reign this year. I imagine a problem with calling him up is that he'd have to clear waivers if you need to send him back down. I much prefer him to be in the lineup nightly with the 18 and 19 year olds in Ontario.

That's fair. The fight video might change your opinion if you haven't seen it.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
The guy he fought this week is not a fighter and is actually a good offensive prospect. It's like Imama beating up Kaliyev. I'm actually impressed with Jenik for dropping the gloves. Total mismatch.

That's cool bud. I too was impressed with Jenik. I was impressed at how he successfully blocked Imama's punches with his face.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
He'll be a fan favorite for sure. He'll stick up for a teammate and fight the tough guys. Not necessarily a heavy but a good fighter. Love to seem him one day and yes still young perfect fourth liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->