The LA Kings have acquired the rights to unsigned draft choice Bokondji Imama.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Could the Kings also be in on Darren Raddysh?

FYI, Raddysh did attend Kings development camp a few years back,
http://ottershockey.com/its-good-to-be-the-king
For Otters defenseman Darren Raddysh, his draft year passed without a selection, but he impressed the Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings enough for an invite to their prospect camp held in July.

“It means so much to me to be invited,” Raddysh said. “Many players that weren’t drafted are playing in the NHL now and have all attended these camps. It’s a chance to show teams what they missed drafting.”

Darren spent the week in El Segundo, California working at the Toyota Sports Center with other prospects, including former Otters teammate Stephen Harper, and the LA Kings coaching and player development staff.

“The drills were just at a higher pace and with more detail,” he said of the camp. “It helped me develop the skills that I already have, as well as develop new skills that benefit my game.”

Raddysh can still be drafted in the 2015 NHL Draft, the one that already has two Otters as possible first round picks. He is looking to continue to impress NHL scouts and earn himself a selection.

“It motivates me to show NHL teams what I can do and to show them what they passed up on,” said Raddysh. “There is always another year to get drafted. Yeah, it’s a bummer, but this gives me more motivation to improve my game.”

As for the 2014-15 OHL season with the Otters, Raddysh will be looked at to fill some holes that the Erie defensive corps may have. With the loss of Spencer Abraham after his over-age year and possible graduation of Adam Pelech and Kurtis MacDermid to the professional ranks, the younger defensemen will be counted on to play significant time next season.

“We will just have to work together and mesh really well like we did last year,” Raddysh said of next season’s team. “ We all have to play our roles and work as a good defensive corps.”

As an overager, Raddysh more than doubled up on his point production, scoring 81 points in 62 games, and added 22 points in 22 playoff games.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Pipeline is barren, the Kings have to do all they can.

Maybe one of these signings/invites turns into a real gem, it's better than doing nothing.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
So basically, if we sign him at 3 PM PST, we get him for free?

I guess that's one way to re-stock the prospect pool. :nod:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

The cup is ours! Seriously though, this was a good move. I hope to see more moves like this from Blake. I am not saying he is going to light the world on fire, but we need to revamp our bottom 6 tough guys. Clifford's cap hit is too high for a non-scoring winger ($1.6MM) and he rarely fights anymore. Nolan has been invisible physically and offensively (not to mention always injured), and Andreoff has shown at times that he can score, but is not much of a physical force out there.

Assuming Imama makes the cut after training camp, it would be interesting to see him on the third line with Brown, with either Dowd, Lewis or Kempe as a center. Brown and Imama would make a lot of room for a scoring center with their physical play.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Blake could be stockpiling crap for all we know, but he's stockpiling it, I'll give him that.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
The cup is ours! Seriously though, this was a good move. I hope to see more moves like this from Blake. I am not saying he is going to light the world on fire, but we need to revamp our bottom 6 tough guys. Clifford's cap hit is too high for a non-scoring winger ($1.6MM) and he rarely fights anymore. Nolan has been invisible physically and offensively (not to mention always injured), and Andreoff has shown at times that he can score, but is not much of a physical force out there.

Assuming Imama makes the cut after training camp, it would be interesting to see him on the third line with Brown, with either Dowd, Lewis or Kempe as a center. Brown and Imama would make a lot of room for a scoring center with their physical play.

True. I heard Clifford's last concussion just about ended his career, so a reason why he doesn't fight anymore, or that effective. Imama is not NHL ready. I am sure the development team will help his development. Will be a good addition in Ontario.

I am glad to see Blake add guys like him, Frantenberg and Iafallo, as opposed to the Tom Gilberts, Purcells, Lattas, Setoguchi's of the world. Frantenberg is NHL ready and Iafallo is the best college signing in years.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Clifford had the 8th most FMs in the league last season so any narrative of him "not fighting" anymore is false; however, it is true that he hasn't been as effective. Of course, he pretty much hasn't been as effective since Reeves KOd him but, if he kept fighting that wide open, he would already be retired.

As for Boko, I'm glad I didn't watch a bunch of his junior fights for no reason. Interesting to read a post on HF that he was the best fighter in the CHL since his tape doesn't back that up for one second.

I see no path for him to make the NHL roster this coming season unless all of Nolan, AA and Clifford are gone. Ontario needs toughness and the Kings need a 4th line wing prospect that can fight. Hopefully he can learn the pro game quickly down there and possibly be ready to rock for 2019.

If the sound dude in ONT/LA doesn't play "Mama Said Knock You Out" after his fights, they should not have a job the next day.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Blake could be stockpiling crap for all we know, but he's stockpiling it, I'll give him that.

Ha, I was just thinking the same thing.

I do find it refreshing that Blake is doing things a bit different than they've been done the last couple seasons. Have to think that these signings have got to be better than the Schmalz. At least these players are trending in the right direction.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Cheaper crap replacing expensive crap is fine with me.

This is what I am thinking, too. Nolan can be buried. Clifford's cap hit is a bit high for what he does. Andreoff is a RFA and may not be back.

After signing everyone, we could be close to the 50 limit.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Old Kings fan (in more ways than one) coming home in peace. Lived in SOCAL from 1986 thru 1999 while on active duty and wore the Kings colors with proudly and with pride. The trade for and signing of Imama has me returning to the Kings family, if you folks can deal with a cranky old Navy vet who does not pull punches in good times and bad. Boko was to be the protector of the talented but seriously undersized Tampa kids. Unfortunately, in the neater and sweeter world of SFY hockey, there is no place for any player who play physical hockey, stands up for his teammates, and actually play. The excuse from the Tampa cupcakes is Boko is much older than the other players he is skating against. I call bull droppings; the kid has a mean streak, can flat out fight, and 41 goals at any level is no laughing matter. Tampa fans will live to regret this move almost as much as LA fans will love it. Give him a year or two in the AHL to get used to the improved skill level, then the Kings have a legit power forward for the next ten or so years.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Old Kings fan (in more ways than one) coming home in peace. Lived in SOCAL from 1986 thru 1999 while on active duty and wore the Kings colors with proudly and with pride. The trade for and signing of Imama has me returning to the Kings family, if you folks can deal with a cranky old Navy vet who does not pull punches in good times and bad. Boko was to be the protector of the talented but seriously undersized Tampa kids. Unfortunately, in the neater and sweeter world of SFY hockey, there is no place for any player who play physical hockey, stands up for his teammates, and actually play. The excuse from the Tampa cupcakes is Boko is much older than the other players he is skating against. I call bull droppings; the kid has a mean streak, can flat out fight, and 41 goals at any level is no laughing matter. Tampa fans will live to regret this move almost as much as LA fans will love it. Give him a year or two in the AHL to get used to the improved skill level, then the Kings have a legit power forward for the next ten or so years.

Awesome, welcome back.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Why do I have the feeling that if/when he makes the team the boys better have an elite PK?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Given his penalty history, they are usually with someone or a result of serious retaliation for another team's tough guy taking liberties with his teammates. Imama was told to improve his overall game, as no one questioned his toughness. This resulted in the 41 goals this season while still dropping the mitts as needed. Unfortunately for Lightning fans but good for Kings fans, even those 41 goals were not enough for Tampa. Not typing that he is going to duplicate those numbers in either the AHL or NHL, but what organization does not want a player who should be good for the 10-15 range and understands his role to protect his more skilled teammates for their fourth line? Other than Tampa Bay that is.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
This kid is not making the club out of training camp. He'll simmer in Ontario for atleast one full season, if not two. He was a late draft pick for a reason.

If he eventually develops into a contributor in a bottom 6 role, I will be pleasantly surprised.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles

:yo:

I'm hearing nothing but good things about Imama, so I'm definitely looking forward to watching his development. He looks tough for sure, and the fact that he was an assistant captain says a lot.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Kova, I believe his junior time is over. He is destined for the AHL. Not sure just what good another year of playing as an overage in juniors would do for his progress if he could stay another at this point. Time for him to take the next step.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kova, I believe his junior time is over. He is destined for the AHL. Not sure just what good another year of playing as an overage in juniors would do for his progress if he could stay another at this point. Time for him to take the next step.

Squid-

Welcome aboard.

As far as the AHL comment goes, Ontario is our AHL affiliate so he was talking about the AHL and not the CHL if that is where the confusion stemmed from.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Oh crap, totally forgot about that. Imama played for St Johns. We have the Crunch here in Syracuse. Kova, totally apologize for my bad on that. Like I asked, please bear with the cranky old man. Word from Tampa is they offered a contract but could not agree on it. Pretty amazing that the Lightning could not reach an agreement with Imama in several months but the Kings did a deal in just a few hours. Different attitudes for the two organizations. One plays in the powder puff east while the other is in the wild west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->