The Kreider Thread (1/22: Kreider fine, skating at practice)

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
People arent going to like it but in the post game press conference Torts strongly hinted on sending Kreider back to the AHL. I honestly dont think it is a bad move. CK is great at some things but he needs a little more rounding out IMO and doing that in a short season where he can cost us goals or get hurt while hesitating can really be a problem for him and us.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
He's NOT ready. His confidence is not where it needs to be. Don't need a hockey PHD to see that. The worse thing that could happen now is to leave him on the end of the bench in New York getting 5 minutes of ice time.

Send him down TODAY. Schony and crew can work with him. Lots and lots of ice time and practice on fundementals.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He's NOT ready. His confidence is not where it needs to be. Don't need a hockey PHD to see that. The worse thing that could happen now is to leave him on the end of the bench in New York getting 5 minutes of ice time.

Send him down TODAY. Schony and crew can work with him. Lots and lots of ice time and practice on fundementals.

I agree.

However, my major concern regarding getting help in the AHL is shouldnt have that already happened with the 33 games he spent down there and was equally ineffective?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Totally agreed that he needs to get his confidence back.

Best practice in such a case is to send the kid down (no matter the sport, really) to get as much PT as possible, to get as much 1-on-1 coaching as possible, to basically work it out. It's exactly what we saw with Cally several years back. I would totally be on board with this course of action... if I had ANY faith at all in Gernander. Seems to me that the last three years have proven to us that HFD is where offensive players go to become confused, stagnate and LOSE confidence.

I mean, to the point above, Kreider looked pretty damn good for a rookie in the POs, right? Then, he spent 30 odd games in HFD and now looks lost. Like Grachev. Like Kundratek. Like Sanguinetti. etc.

Don't send him down. Do the best you can to work it out in practice and learning from the bench. Then give him more opportunities in games that are one sided (either way) until he displays enough confidence to start trusting him with a regular role again. Keep Chris the **** away from Gernander.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe the Rangers told him not to play well during the regular season. He's so proven, there's no reason to waste his energy on the minors and the regular season. When he's in the playoffs and is surrounded by Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey, we'll see how NHL-ready he is.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
People arent going to like it but in the post game press conference Torts strongly hinted on sending Kreider back to the AHL. I honestly dont think it is a bad move. CK is great at some things but he needs a little more rounding out IMO and doing that in a short season where he can cost us goals or get hurt while hesitating can really be a problem for him and us.
Boyle's fault.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I agree.

However, my major concern regarding getting help in the AHL is shouldnt have that already happened with the 33 games he spent down there and was equally ineffective?

(Shrugs) Some guys just need more time. I'm actually not too surprised. I saw a lot of things from his play in college that bothered me some. It seemed to me that he was a bit too used to the game flowing to him. Too much cruising for my comfort level. To be honest, last spring was the first time I really saw the potential he truly has...and he has a ton.

It will take time to learn new habits and adjust to the fact that what once worked no longer does. This is the first time he's been seriously challenged at any level of play. So now we will see how he adjusts.

He needs to be a bigger, stronger version of Hags. A much more fundamentally sound two way player. That way the coaches/team mates will have confidence and when the opportunities come his natural talent will take over. He's no where close to that right now.

SupersonicMonkey*

Going back to Hartford wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

He WILL be fine, he needs time to develop. If he goes back, would like to see him with Miller and Jean.

Serious issue is there is no one to really take a spot. Asham in and Pyatt would have to be put in the top six.

Asham may not even be ready to go yet.

Can't see Kreider getting sent back, yet.

REALLY wish Fast, Lindberg, and St.Croix were in Hartford right now to boost the skill level there.

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
Asham says groin feels better but not ready to play. Newbury will get the start.

So Newbury is starting for Asham...that means Kreider or Bickel in the other spot. You can say what you want about sending CK down and him struggling, but there is NO POSSIBLE LOGICAL REASONING to have bickel playing instead of kreider. And him being a scratch would be pointless, should have sent him down last night then if that was the case....we'll see

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yea, but didnt you know he proved himself in the playoffs last season by scoring 5 goals in 18 games and making questionable decisions in the defensive/neutral zones?? :sarcasm:

He needs to be a bigger, stronger version of Hags. A much more fundamentally sound two way player. That way the coaches/team mates will have confidence and when the opportunities come his natural talent will take over. He's no where close to that right now.

By no means am I saying Kreider has been good, but we're talking about three games here. If sending him down after three games was even a possibility, why have him up to begin with? Three freakin' games. I know it's a short season, but if they weren't gonna give him a legitimate chance, he should have been left in Hartford.

What I can't figure out is the Hagelin love. Two way player? He has zero goals in 20+ games and only three assists. My God, if Kreider had a stretch like that, a lot of people would be up in arms.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's overthinking the game right now. You can see it very plainly. He still has to think about his defensive responsibilities which is making him just a step slow.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
By no means am I saying Kreider has been good, but we're talking about three games here. If sending him down after three games was even a possibility, why have him up to begin with?
It's cumulative. They didn't start the clock on evaluating him the moment the season started.

What I can't figure out is the Hagelin love. Two way player? He has zero goals in 20+ games and only three assists. My God, if Kreider had a stretch like that, a lot of people would be up in arms.
He has. In his last 19 games (3 NHL, 16 AHL) he has 1 goal and 1 assist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad