The Knights Aren’t Looking So Golden

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just want to point out the HockeyViz has shot tides which mark down posts for either team (not sure how perfect it is, but it should be pretty reliable). That counts 6 posts for Vegas so far and 5 for their opponents. So that isn't likely to have too much of an impact either way :)
That number feels low.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
In any event, it's way too early to count Vegas out. People don't seem to remember that Vegas wasn't exactly a well oiled machine in their first ten games. They got by through hard work and good goaltending but they were pretty sloppy in the early days. They should be more familiar with each other by now, but I believe Gallant can turn the ship around.

I have to wonder how much getting wins in those first several games affected the mentality of the team positively. I was at their first ever game in Dallas, and they looked awful. Fleury absolutely stood on his head and stole that game, and it really seemed like a huge confidence boost that just continued during their 8-1 stretch. It helped to galvanize the team even further and give them the realization that success is possible, and the team took it the rest of the way.

I wonder if they had a more average start how they would've done last year. I suspect the team would've looked vastly different. Will be interesting to see how they handle this rough start (granted it's four games, like you've said) and if they can rally back and return to success.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have to wonder how much getting wins in those first several games affected the mentality of the team positively. I was at their first ever game in Dallas, and they looked awful. Fleury absolutely stood on his head and stole that game, and it really seemed like a huge confidence boost that just continued during their 8-1 stretch. It helped to galvanize the team even further and give them the realization that success is possible, and the team took it the rest of the way.

I wonder if they had a more average start how they would've done last year. I suspect the team would've looked vastly different. Will be interesting to see how they handle this rough start (granted it's four games, like you've said) and if they can rally back and return to success.

I've noted watching this game that after Vegas' second goal tonight, no one looked happy. The whole team looks incredibly frustrated so I think there's something to this. They need to find a rhythm and especially get the powerplay going

Reactions: LatvianTwist

CK17

May 13, 2007
3rd and 4th lines are terrible and they get a ton of icetime.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Still a little early to making any calls good or bad for a team. That being said losing points in October will not help you down the stretch.

Reactions: Mork

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
That number feels low.
I can totally imagine. I have a sneaking suspicion that fans tend to overestimate the number in general, just cause they are super exciting and memorable and painful events.

That being said, I didn't watch any of the games, so I can't vouch for the number myself!

Either way, I'd love to add that anyone who might suggest this is the real Vegas and last year was a fluke is essentially saying "I told you! Those 82 games plus playoffs were a fluke! Now I have 5 games to prove it to you!"

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Tends to happen when your team overachieves

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
5 games they have time to turn it around but if they had a down year wouldn't surprise me at all. Fleury was unreal last year and a lot of guys had career seasons. Like Karlsson shooting 23% it's just not sustainable.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
It's early, but their defense is terrible.

Engelland, McNabb, Holden and Merrill are not particularly good hockey players. Theodore isn't good in his own zone, and they miss the steroid guy.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Reilly Smith drove Boston (and Florida) fans nuts with his "good year followed by really bad year" syndrome.

Almost the entire Vegas team is cut from the same mold, so it's not that surprising.

Reactions: Cellee

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
They had an extremely impressive, legendary first season. I told ya that they'd fall hard this season. Everything clicked the first year and they had something to prove. They won't have that hunger this season.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stastny or Eakin (2C/3C), Tuch (2nd line wing), Schmidt (1D) all out for the five games. Forced to play Lindberg and Merrill in these absences.

Four road games, back to back against rested Washington and Pittsburgh.

They've not played terrible in those games but haven't played to what they can either. Teams often go through tough stretches in seasons.

It's only five games and they aren't far behind SJ and LA in division, who have started a little better than Vegas but still not firing on all their cylinders. But again (for all those teams) it is only five games.

Vegas probably has a more difficult season this year but it's too early for something like this.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They rode the euphoric highs of high-PDO and are now suffering the comedown and hangover.

Will be interesting to see if last year really was an aberration.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Let's see if the fans continue to show up. True test of sustaining an NHL franchise.

I live in Nevada and I have to say that the whole state has embraced the team pretty fervently. Support for the Knights has taken on a life of its own and even if it all turns out to be a Cinderella run, that run will cement that team here for decades to come. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Tis far too early in the season to be writing anyone off or for saying someone is unbeatable...Hockey more then any other team sport can take time for teams to gel....as I rule I never get to worried or excited about the first 15 games or so....if your team is still playing poorly after that point, then yes you can be concerned...to be writing off a team after a few games is foolish to say the least.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Gee, who could have ever seen this coming?

Amazing what happens when they aren't the league's darlings anymore and they get zero help from the Refs every game.
You can't really believe this, can you?

You'd think as a Sharks fan you would be used to your team choking in the playoffs, and less insecure about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad