News Article: The Kings have a Jonathan Quick problem

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Article with options Kings have with Quick.

The Kings have a Jonathan Quick problem

And at the bottom of the page, a 5 minute quiz ,

Can you name the goalies with the most postseason wins in NHL history?

THey list the number of wins and the years the goalie played. There is blank box at the top with a timer and you type in (last name) as many as you can think of, and if correct, it appears on the list (26 total goalies)

I got 9. I struggled for through the first half , then just tried to remember when teams had longer runs, and some names came to mind.

Fun quiz...

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
That article hasn't aged well in the last 5 days.

Regarding a buyout, we have no cap issues at all. We won't have any next year either. Probably none of the year after that. There is a ton of salary coming off the books and several replacements will be our young players on ELCs. While Quick's play is a concern, his contract is only a detriment to Uncle Phil.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I have a feeling Quick will retire soon, or go on permanent LTIR. He plays like a borderline NHL goalie and is only going to get worse, especially since his style is so athletically demanding. It may be prudent soon (if not right now) to call up Petersen, in which case it makes sense to waive Quick over Campbell. I doubt it will come to that, since Quick won't want to play in the minors, so instead he'll be relegated to LTIR until his contract is up.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I have a feeling Quick will retire soon, or go on permanent LTIR. He plays like a borderline NHL goalie and is only going to get worse, especially since his style is so athletically demanding. It may be prudent soon (if not right now) to call up Petersen, in which case it makes sense to waive Quick over Campbell. I doubt it will come to that, since Quick won't want to play in the minors, so instead he'll be relegated to LTIR until his contract is up.

So let's break this down:

One of the most competitive professional athletes ever to don an NHL uniform is going to retire soon and give up $16 million dollars in salary at 33 years old, despite winning back to back games this week as the teams #1 goalie with .942 save percentage because you have a feeling? And you believe they will waive a two time cup champ and place him in the AHL when he still shows signs he can play? There is zero evidence he is injured in any way shape or form for him to go on LTIR. You can't just place a player on LTIR because you feel like it. They will not waive Jonathan Quick, and they will not put the AHL franchise in the hands of Kehler and Villalta this season unless they have too (one of the big three goalies is injured). So essentially you believe that Quick has no value whatsoever any longer after 5 games this season. Why don't we wait until the trade deadline to make a decision and see how the season goes. While we all agree he got off to a horrible start (as did the team defense), it would be horrendous asset management to waive any LA Kings goaltender at this point. Apologies, rant over.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
As Quick adjusts to the new systems (same as every other player), his numbers will normalize. Sure, he won't hit those low 2's GAA, but he will be fine. A lot of writers look at last years numbers without really seeing what was going on. As a result, the title could be "The Kings have a xxxxxxxxx problem" where xxxxxxxxx is pretty much any veteran player except Clifford.

Quick had a rough start but he's adjusting to what looks are being allowed. How much the D is pushing forward is a HUGE change, it hasn't happened in over 10 years, since Crawford. It's like getting a sports car when you've driven an old Toyota your entire life. Sure, you can do it, but you are going to come pretty close to hitting people in front of you when your brain and muscle memory slam your foot to the floor when merging in traffic. Once our goalies adjust to what the rest of the team is doing they will be fine.

Reactions: andys

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
So let's break this down:

One of the most competitive professional athletes ever to don an NHL uniform is going to retire soon and give up $16 million dollars in salary at 33 years old, despite winning back to back games this week as the teams #1 goalie with .942 save percentage because you have a feeling? And you believe they will waive a two time cup champ and place him in the AHL when he still shows signs he can play? There is zero evidence he is injured in any way shape or form for him to go on LTIR. You can't just place a player on LTIR because you feel like it. They will not waive Jonathan Quick, and they will not put the AHL franchise in the hands of Kehler and Villalta this season unless they have too (one of the big three goalies is injured). So essentially you believe that Quick has no value whatsoever any longer after 5 games this season. Why don't we wait until the trade deadline to make a decision and see how the season goes. While we all agree he got off to a horrible start (as did the team defense), it was be horrendous asset management to waive any LA Kings goaltender at this point. Apologies, rant over.
- Quick was an amazing goalie for years, but let's be real... he's very far away from his prime. As much as he's done for the club, they can't keep him around just for loyalty. They'd have to move on if he's no longer good enough to compete.
- Two games isn't a significant enough sample size to conclude that he's back to form. The bigger picture is more bleak.
- No, he unfortunately has no value. Even if he rebounds and has decent enough stats on the season, the absolute best the Kings can hope for is to unload him for free (even that is a stretch). The reality of the market is that no team will risk a 3 1/2 year commitment given his age, salary, and career trajectory.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That article hasn't aged well in the last 5 days.

Regarding a buyout, we have no cap issues at all. We won't have any next year either. Probably none of the year after that. There is a ton of salary coming off the books and several replacements will be our young players on ELCs. While Quick's play is a concern, his contract is only a detriment to Uncle Phil.

5 days negates the fact he was bad last season too?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Of course not but the entire team was bad last year, and like it's already been beaten to death everyone still here is going to get a chance to prove who was and wasn't an outlier last year. Also beaten to death is who gives a shit about Quick's cap hit? The Kings are not going to need the space until after his contract expires.

We're three weeks into the season, maybe we could give it a bit before launching everyone into the sun?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They will need to expose a goalie for the expansion draft, right? No way Seattle takes Quick, but keeping him thru the year at least checks that box.

Longterm deals turn heroes into pariahs. Its such a sour note to end a career on.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They will need to expose a goalie for the expansion draft, right? No way Seattle takes Quick, but keeping him thru the year at least checks that box.

Longterm deals turn heroes into pariahs. Its such a sour note to end a career on.
Fans need to remember their, "The Kings will never trade Player X. Player X will age like a fine wine.", posts from years ago.

Last edited:

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005

The article is basically saying they have to trade or buy him out, neither of which was true when written. In fact it was plain dumb. After the article is published Quick has two solid games. My comments had nothing to do with last year.

My bad though. I forgot that after this year, Quick's actual salary goes down to $3.5 million, $3 million and $2.5 million. So his contract won't even hurt Uncle Phil much going forward. He just has a high, but largely meaningless cap hit that won't impact anything beyond a few columns on capfriendly.com.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guess the sample sizes are only convenient when they work in your favor.

No one is talking about the 2018 season when he had a Vezina caliber season and a run arguably better than his conn smythe run.

Everyone talks last year, ignores previous year.

No one talks about he was our best goalie this preseason, instead they want to anoint shiny new toy Campbell.

Everyone talks--and writes hot takes--based on three regular season games.

No one talks or writes hot takes based on two fantastic regular season games.

Only one thing is for sure--if Quick pitches a shutout tonight, this thread and the GDT will be dead silent. If Quick lets in so much as one goal, there will be at least three "Campbell would have saved that" posts and the usual hand-wringing. And so the cycle continues since 2015.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The article is basically saying they have to trade or buy him out, neither of which was true when written. In fact it was plain dumb. After the article is published Quick has two solid games. My comments had nothing to do with last year.

My bad though. I forgot that after this year, Quick's actual salary goes down to $3.5 million, $3 million and $2.5 million. So his contract won't even hurt Uncle Phil much going forward. He just has a high, but largely meaningless cap hit that won't impact anything beyond a few columns on capfriendly.com.
Quick's contract will be done by the time this team is ready to compete again basically if things go right.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Big quick fan! Some buddies played with him when he was at avon and my brother played goalie at a school against him. Quick was the best back then and everyone knew it. I think chris higgins was on his team as well and dominant but its been so long to remember.
Anyways i will admit he hasnt been his best since that vegas series a couple years back. He was a force in that series. Hopefully he can build off the last couple games and get back into his groove. He may also benefit from a trade to a more competitive team, as he plays better when it matters.
Time will tell how he finishes his career but im pulling for him. One of the top american goalies of all time in my view. And one of the last of an era where a goalie could dominate and change a game with his energy.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The problem with quick isn't his cap hit or the years. The problem is that him, and a couple other players, are in spots where a couple young guys can step in. Now if Quick starts to perform to at least normal standards then there's nothing to complain about.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think for Quick to be successful from here on out he is going to have to tweak his style a bit. I just don't know if he can play more like a positional goalie with athleticism, or if he is stuck in the athletic goalie mode and has stretches of time when his body is feeling right and we see flashes of past greatness.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Of course not but the entire team was bad last year, and like it's already been beaten to death everyone still here is going to get a chance to prove who was and wasn't an outlier last year. Also beaten to death is who gives a **** about Quick's cap hit? The Kings are not going to need the space until after his contract expires.

We're three weeks into the season, maybe we could give it a bit before launching everyone into the sun?
Quick's stats last year don't get any better when you account for quality of scoring chances. He had the worst data-adjusted save % among starters by a significant margin.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sure, Quick had a slow start, but so did the rest of the team. We should be a team that gets better as the year goes on, not worse.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Quick's stats last year don't get any better when you account for quality of scoring chances. He had the worst data-adjusted save % among starters by a significant margin.
Cool story. That doesn’t change the fact that he’s going to get an opportunity this year to try and prove himself. Dumping him for nothing or buying him out helps nobody right now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This'll be one of those games someone looks at and goes "lol QUick .882, he's toast" without realizing how much good he did.

Reactions: Fishhead

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
This'll be one of those games someone looks at and goes "lol QUick .882, he's toast" without realizing how much good he did.
Honestly, that save % is a fairly accurate representation. He has no chance to make a save on so many goals due to his aggressiveness combined with his deteriorating agility/lateral movement.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Which goals are these?
All of them except maybe Dunn's. That doesn't mean all those goals are "his fault," just it's impossible for him to stop medium/high danger scoring chances if there's any kind of puck movement. If you compare Quick's 2018-19 season to the other starters, his low danger save % was only slightly below average, but his medium and high danger save %'s were 2nd to last and dead last respectively.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It could be worse. Quick could be sporting an .878 in the first year of a 7 year 10 million per contract, having won nothing for this franchise or any other...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad