The Kids are Alright!! Really????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldn't be worried. I like what the team is doing right now and I'm a very critical guy when I feel like things aren't done the way they should, at least in my mind.

I think we'll see Tierney, Ennis, Hainsey, Namestnikov, Anderson, and one of Pageau/Brown get moved and in return we'll be looking for picks and fringe NHL players just to fill the roster like we did last year with a guy like Lindberg for example. That'll allow the team to really bottom out and get in the best position possible to have a good pick in the upcoming draft. The most important thing for me is that the team also managed to ice a group that has confidence in themselves every night and that is competitive to some degree so to me right there this is a very good sign. Guys like Ryan, Boedker and Sabourin likely dress all games after the deadline.

Next year the team will be drastically different. Brown, Batherson, Balcers, Formenton, Abramov, Brannstrom should all be here full time. Norris likely gets some looks as well. We shouldn't forget Wolanin either. Then if we pick in the top 3, I think there's a good chance that player comes here right away as well. That's a very very young team and I think it's the right way to go, these guys were not ready this season but I think most if not all of these guys should be fully ready next year.

For the sake of the argument, let's say we pick Byfield or Lundell. In a perfect world you keep Pageau over C. Brown if you can't keep both given the importance of having a reliable center.

Tkachuk - Pageau - Duclair
Balcers - L.Brown - Batherson
Formenton/Abramov - Byfield - White
Paul - Anisimov - Ryan
Veronneau

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Borowiecki - Jaros
Lajoie

That's the youngest team in the NHL, surely not everything will go as planned and we likely add a guy here and there, hopfefully on defense especially.

Will be be a great team? Likely not. But in the coming years you add Thomson, JBD, Pinto, Norris, the SJ pick, Daccord maybe and suddenly you have a pretty damn good core of young guys and you also have 5+ 2nd rounders in the next two drafts to replace guys in the lineup if you can't pay them.

The team is is good shape, especially if SJ's pick ends up in the top 10.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wouldn't be worried. I like what the team is doing right now and I'm a very critical guy when I feel like things aren't done the way they should, at least in my mind.

I think we'll see Tierney, Ennis, Hainsey, Namestnikov, Anderson, and one of Pageau/Brown get moved and in return we'll be looking for picks and fringe NHL players just to fill the roster like we did last year with a guy like Lindberg for example. That'll allow the team to really bottom out and get in the best position possible to have a good pick in the upcoming draft. The most important thing for me is that the team also managed to ice a group that has confidence in themselves every night and that is competitive to some degree so to me right there this is a very good sign. Guys like Ryan, Boedker and Sabourin likely dress all games after the deadline.

Next year the team will be drastically different. Brown, Batherson, Balcers, Formenton, Abramov, Brannstrom should all be here full time. Norris likely gets some looks as well. We shouldn't forget Wolanin either. Then if we pick in the top 3, I think there's a good chance that player comes here right away as well. That's a very very young team and I think it's the right way to go, these guys were not ready this season but I think most if not all of these guys should be fully ready next year.

For the sake of the argument, let's say we pick Byfield or Lundell. In a perfect world you keep Pageau over C. Brown if you can't keep both given the importance of having a reliable center.

Paul - Anisimov - Ryan
Veronneau

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Borowiecki - Jaros
Lajoie

That's the youngest team in the NHL, surely not everything will go as planned and we likely add a guy here and there, hopfefully on defense especially.

Will be be a great team? Likely not. But in the coming years you add Thomson, JBD, Pinto, Norris, the SJ pick, Daccord maybe and suddenly you have a pretty damn good core of young guys and you also have 5+ 2nd rounders in the next two drafts to replace guys in the lineup if you can't pay them.

I agree. Some minor quibbles:

- since there's no hurry to trade Tierney, I have a feeling he's the centre we'll keep instead of Pageau. And White can play the role of the poor man's Pageau. And C. Brown stays just to annoy @Sens of Anarchy . ;)

- Byfield looks young for the WJC, don't think he'll be ready to play in the NHL next year.

Our forwards would then look like this:

Tkachuk - Tierney - Duclair
Formenton - White - C. Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Ryan
Abramov/Davidsson

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Guys,

This thread has ran its coarse. It was meant to articulate a point which concerns me. My fear is simple..."The Kids may not be Alright"..and we are the Edmonton Oilers of 7 and 8 years ago. Melnyk's "unprecedented success in 2021 and beyond" may not be accurate. And given the state of the league today, we may be in for 5-7 years of added hardship. Until such a time as a McDavid and Draisaitl land in our laps, we may not got off the mat. And even with those two, its not like Edmonton has been banking one cup after another. Once again, they have returned to being out of the playoffs!!!

let's collect again on the 31st of next year and see where things stand. And then again on Dec 31 of 2021...I hope all of you can gloat about the team's success. I will happily eat crow....You need not worry, I will not gloat if they are not successful. I will be too busy drowning in my own sorrow.

I have had Maple leafs fans mock us!!!! All that is left is: Arizona fans.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Paul - Anisimov - Ryan
Veronneau

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Borowiecki - Jaros
Lajoie

Well said.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Guys,

This thread has ran its coarse. It was meant to articulate a point which concerns me. My fear is simple..."The Kids may not be Alright"..and we are the Edmonton Oilers of 7 and 8 years ago. Melnyk's "unprecedented success in 2021 and beyond" may not be accurate. And given the state of the league today, we may be in for 5-7 years of added hardship. Until such a time as a McDavid and Draisaitl land in our laps, we may not got off the mat. And even with those two, its not like Edmonton has been banking one cup after another. Once again, they have returned to being out of the playoffs!!!

let's collect again on the 31st of next year and see where things stand. And then again on Dec 31 of 2021...I hope all of you can gloat about the team's success. I will happily eat crow....You need not worry, I will not gloat if they are not successful. I will be too busy drowning in my own sorrow.

I have had Maple leafs fans mock us!!!! All that is left is: Arizona fans.

Thanks for your opinion. We are not the Oilers.

Never forget that you can always hold your head up high and mock the little leaf fans back because with all the money in the world, they have sucked for over half a century.

See you in a year!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
or born yet

Yikes well that will scare off any who were hoping for another 0 yr rebuild.

We just hit rock bottom at last years draft and are now starting the long slow slog back to respectability. At least we hope that is the plan. But the complaints from the OP sure feel like an example of premature excoriation.

Also, interestingly, the Who song the Kids are alright was about a husband saying he can safely leave his wife and kids cause his kids will be alright. Seems Sens fans have taken that song quite to heart judging by attendance

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I actually think the Sens are looking pretty good.

Most of our best prospects are performing very well at their current levels, the one big letdown is Colin White and also L. Brown not being NHL ready.

The kids have definitely been alright so far.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Paul - Anisimov - Ryan
Veronneau

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Borowiecki - Jaros
Lajoie

Solid post, though it looks like you forgot Zaitsev on the back end.

Reactions: Boud

BigTurk

Dec 24, 2019
Only 3 players are younger than 25 on forward. White has 10 points (Dec 30), JC Beaudin is a marginal player. There are 4 on defense. Impressive, but !! 3 of them, are 5/6 defensemen. Branstrom is 5' 9" and has 4 points!!!!

Can someone tell me what kids? only Branstrom and Tkatchuk are 20 or younger. The other 5 guys are nearing 23 or older.
And the net productivity of the 7 guys younger than 25 is hardly all star worthy. Tkatchuk is the only bright spot. Don't look now folks, but Chabot is well below last season's pace. 4 goals..on his way to 8!!!!! and 46 points, well below his 55 from last year and that was in 70 games!!!

The Kids are alright!!!! Are you kidding?

If the team has a second half identical to the first, they will end with about 78 points. Accounting for a soft early schedule and the possibility of getting rid of some veterans, this team may end up at the 60-70 point range..OMG

Thank you for this well-written, thoughtful and insightful post into our rebuild - all this time, I thought Brannstrom was 5'7"

Reactions: OD99

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The only concern for me with this team is their defence, they have too many small soft defencemen & need to either keep Boro or have a couple of tough guys who play a solid defensive game on their 3rd pairing. I think their forwards will be fine especially if they can draft Byfield. I expect that most of the UFAs will all be gone by the end of the season & a few more by next season's trade deadline. I doubt they are able to trade either Ryan or Zaitsev this season or next season & may be stuck with both of them.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Duclair
Byfield - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Norris - Batherson
Paul - Chlapik - Ryan/Pinto

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - JBD
Boro - Jaros/Brannstrom

Nilsson - Hogberg/Daccord

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Six month ago this take would have killed. Now there isnt even a single melnyk reference after two pages. The fans have turned a page, Mr. Dingle. I suggest you do likewise, Old Sport.

After all, "woe is us" takes feel dreadfully 2019. Cheerios.

-FR26

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am normally in the camp of winning during rebuild years being led by throwaway veterans as being completely irrelevant to the future, but in this case there are plenty of positives we're seeing and some of the youth/bridge guys are doing a lot of the heavy lifting. We're even finally getting a young goalie with some potential like Hogberg in there.

Duclair is a star. If we don't have the season we are, he probably struggles and gets cast away. Now we should have a star forward to lock up long term to be part of the core. C. Brown is another one that looks like he's worth keeping as a good support player. Brannstrom has played well since he was called up as well.

I would like to see some more shedding/promotions, with tanking as the priority, and not giving any term out quite yet other than Duke and Tkachuk, but the wins are coming with some silver linings imo.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Six month ago this take would have killed. Now there isnt even a single melnyk reference after two pages. The fans have turned a page, Mr. Dingle. I suggest you do likewise, Old Sport.

After all, "woe is us" takes feel dreadfully 2019. Cheerios.

-FR26

Mr. Rises...read all the threads..the weakness of this site is the first and last are the ones that are read. And so important posts on the inside are lost.
Please log in in late December of 2020 and then again in 2021..by then the team is either successful or has failed (yes, there may be a middle ground, in that they may be middling..but I will happily put that on the side of success).
If they are successful...please gloat, please mock me..please call me out..I will grovel..eat crow and so on.

What I absolutely love about sports..games get played, seasons unfold and so " declarations, assumptions, presumptions"...they all play out.

Happy new year to you..best wishes to you and your family..and I look forward to December 30th of 2020...For my sake, let's hope, I am eating crow.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Presumably the idea is that if this team isn’t great in a couple of a years then the OP is going to come back and not gloat mind you, but bring this thread of great foresight of theirs back up for all to see? Is that because that is when the scheduled FYOUS is supposed to start? I think we could still be suffering Melnyks F.You’s years but we never know for sure.

We never know when a team of youngsters will suddenly put it together. And when management will find the competence and resources to complete it. Their pronouncements of greatness in a couple of years could well happen but I don’t think the majority here are guaranteeing that and will bow to your brilliance if it doesn’t occur. We have some kids playing and developing and still to be drafted. They’re doing alright.

Developing a contender isn’t like baking a cake where you follow the recipe, leave a tooth under the pillow for the 3 yr rebuild fairy and abra ca pocus, a contender. We were close with EK but it appears that that teams character let down its skill.

I remember the initial return of the Sens, with multiple years of top picks like the Oilers, and then it seemed every year we would get one more top player. It was a long slow porcess nd it seemed like a decade before we got to the point where we thought we didn’t need to make a deadline trade that year cause we were good enough.

Happy New year to you too, i dont think many here think this is such a hot take that you will need to eat crow if wrong.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Presumably the idea is that if this team isn’t great in a couple of a years then the OP is going to come back and not gloat mind you, but bring this thread of great foresight of theirs back up for all to see? Is that because that is when the scheduled FYOUS is supposed to start? I think we could still be suffering Melnyks F.You’s years but we never know for sure.

We never know when a team of youngsters will suddenly put it together. And when management will find the competence and resources to complete it. Their pronouncements of greatness in a couple of years could well happen but I don’t think the majority here are guaranteeing that and will bow to your brilliance if it doesn’t occur. We have some kids playing and developing and still to be drafted. They’re doing alright.

Developing a contender isn’t like baking a cake where you follow the recipe, leave a tooth under the pillow for the 3 yr rebuild fairy and abra ca pocus, a contender. We were close with EK but it appears that that teams character let down its skill.

I remember the initial return of the Sens, with multiple years of top picks like the Oilers, and then it seemed every year we would get one more top player. It was a long slow porcess nd it seemed like a decade before we got to the point where we thought we didn’t need to make a deadline trade that year cause we were good enough.

Happy New year to you too, i dont think many here think this is such a hot take that you will need to eat crow if wrong.

The only F'you's that have ever been delivered, have been from the club to the fans.
Those that do not like the thread, fear it. Deep down, we all harbor a fear of being Edmonton 2004-2015. Toronto 2003-2014, Arizona...pretty much all years pre this one. And with fear comes anger. Which is natural.

No one reads the posts. I cannot blame them, 30 plus is impossible to read. The structure of the site does not allow for cleaner gathering. As with the gentleman above, please scan through, I have 3 or 4 posts on this subject. Read them and then judge. Many respondents, have simply reacted with anger. Again go back and read. There have been 2 or 3 that have offered a rebuttal in proper fashion. Many have made valid points and ones that can tip the scale..Many others who disagree, do not offer a proper rebuttal, but a harsh/terse comment.

It is why I put the request in to recollect in a year or two. Those that do not fear, will do so..they will not see the F'you from me as you seem to feel. They will see the F'you that the club may be delivering to them.

I am not rushing the rebuild..I am arguing the opposite. It will take time..way longer. As you are by the way..It is the club that is using "the kids are alright".."the worst is behind us". "unprecedented success in 2021 and beyond"..

This site should not be a cheer-leading site...It should be about hard commentary..hard issues..not glossing over. This site is ours, the fans..our way of holding people accountable. We do not operate radio or TV stations, we do not publish newspaper. We need this site to be full of hard subjects..so that we may confront them. If a subject matter is hard, and it hits a nerve, it should be addressed. If you disagree, do so intellectually. Offer proper rebuttal..not just "you are wrong, the prospects are good". Which if all that happens, I would be okay. Often enough a terse or harsh statement is added. Tell me why, you disagree. Tell me why I should not worry about Logan Brown nearing 22 and not yet here. Or Collin White,off his new contract giving me 10 points so far and all of this after they sold us on him being the next Patrice Bergeron. I had hoped for intelligent debate, I got "shouting".. so yes, I shouted back..awfully stupid of me..proving once again, what is the line in beer commercial? "There is more that brings us together than separates us"..

Think Wild..your post may just be the best one on here. ...by the way "a decade"??? God Lord....even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes. If you felt an F'you was delivered to you..My apologies to you and to others. I have no desire to deliver F'yous. I am not overly fond of them being delivered at me, so I will not spew them.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The only F'you's that have ever been delivered, have been from the club to the fans.
Those that do not like the thread, fear it. Deep down, we all harbor a fear of being Edmonton 2004-2015. Toronto 2003-2014, Arizona...pretty much all years pre this one. And with fear comes anger. Which is natural.

No one reads the posts. I cannot blame them, 30 plus is impossible to read. The structure of the site does not allow for cleaner gathering. As with the gentleman above, please scan through, I have 3 or 4 posts on this subject. Read them and then judge. Many respondents, have simply reacted with anger. Again go back and read. There have been 2 or 3 that have offered a rebuttal in proper fashion. Many have made valid points and ones that can tip the scale..Many others who disagree, do not offer a proper rebuttal, but a harsh/terse comment.

It is why I put the request in to recollect in a year or two. Those that do not fear, will do so..they will not see the F'you from me as you seem to feel. They will see the F'you that the club may be delivering to them.

I am not rushing the rebuild..I am arguing the opposite. It will take time..way longer. As you are by the way..It is the club that is using "the kids are alright".."the worst is behind us". "unprecedented success in 2021 and beyond"..

This site should not be a cheer-leading site...It should be about hard commentary..hard issues..not glossing over. This site is ours, the fans..our way of holding people accountable. We do not operate radio or TV stations, we do not publish newspaper. We need this site to be full of hard subjects..so that we may confront them. If a subject matter is hard, and it hits a nerve, it should be addressed. If you disagree, do so intellectually. Offer proper rebuttal..not just "you are wrong, the prospects are good". Which if all that happens, I would be okay. Often enough a terse or harsh statement is added. Tell me why, you disagree. Tell me why I should not worry about Logan Brown nearing 22 and not yet here. Or Collin White,off his new contract giving me 10 points so far and all of this after they sold us on him being the next Patrice Bergeron. I had hoped for intelligent debate, I got "shouting".. so yes, I shouted back..awfully stupid of me..proving once again, what is the line in beer commercial? "There is more that brings us together than separates us"..

Think Wild..your post may just be the best one on here. ...by the way "a decade"??? God Lord....even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes. If you felt an F'you was delivered to you..My apologies to you and to others. I have no desire to deliver F'yous. I am not overly fond of them being delivered at me, so I will not spew them.

Talk about being angry. Why are you cheer-leading failure? It's fine to have an opinion. Respect others, as you wish to be respected.

Again, take your own advice and read through most of the responses; it is way too early to press the panic button.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Whoa. Yes, that is what i was referring to. Mgmt offered us FYOUS, but really it feels more like Melnyk telling us F. You's. Sorry for any confusion, that certainly wasnt intended to be towards you.

I feel your pain, we are all concerned, but i dont think too many think of the FYOUS timeline as a solidly thought out reasonable hockey plan by competent mgmt , just a marketing statement. And i dont think holding up a meaningless slogan like the kids are alright is a reason to get upset because more youngsters are being forced to earn a spot.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I personally have no interest in endless “hard commentary” I’m in here for fluffy Sens talk to supplement watching the games alone at home, on the other side of the country.

I really don’t care that much about the off ice stuff beyond light banter here and there, as in the end we have zero influence on the outcomes.

As far as the rebuild goes, it’s looking really good so far, from the style of play, to the character of the kids, to the AHL stats, to the future picks. I see very little reason for doom and gloom at this point, all things being equal.

The only issue I see is whether the owner will have the funds to pony up, but again, so far so good with White and Chabot.

I don’t think there will be any need to look back at this thread next week, let alone next year. We will get steadily better year to year now in my opinion.

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019
Lol

Very simple here guys

We need a top 4 pick this draft. One of Lafrenierre, byfield, Stutzle, Raymond

If we get a top 8-10 pick with San Jose and can get rossi/Lundell

Or we hit the jackpot and get 2 of the top 5

This team is absolutely effing set. The only thing this team is missing is top line elite talent/prospects.

The kids are more then alright, I don't know what leafs fans are chirping you because anyone with half a brain can see that the Sens are going to be really really good in 3 years. Here's a fun list.

2 high firsts, 3 seconds
Batherson
Abramov
Balcers
Formenton
Tkachuk
C. White
L. Brown (not a huge fan)
Pinto
Norris
Thomson
Bernard docker
Chabot
Brandstrom
Soggard
Daccord
Hogberg
DUCLAIR (24 years old I know)

I'm probably missing some here...

How is that not an absolutely filthy future. The rebuild is going way faster then I imagined and DJ is a great coach.

If we hit on this draft we are going to be a contender sooner then later.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Lol

Very simple here guys

We need a top 4 pick this draft. One of Lafrenierre, byfield, Stutzle, Raymond

If we get a top 8-10 pick with San Jose and can get rossi/Lundell

Or we hit the jackpot and get 2 of the top 5

This team is absolutely effing set. The only thing this team is missing is top line elite talent/prospects.

The kids are more then alright, I don't know what leafs fans are chirping you because anyone with half a brain can see that the Sens are going to be really really good in 3 years. Here's a fun list.

2 high firsts, 3 seconds
Batherson
Abramov
Balcers
Formenton
Tkachuk
C. White
L. Brown (not a huge fan)
Pinto
Norris
Thomson
Bernard docker
Chabot
Brandstrom
Soggard
Daccord
Hogberg
DUCLAIR (24 years old I know)

I'm probably missing some here...

How is that not an absolutely filthy future. The rebuild is going way faster then I imagined and DJ is a great coach.

If we hit on this draft we are going to be a contender sooner then later.

Agreed. Think about some lucky second and third draft picks too. Could be an epic future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad