Line Combos: The Kid Line

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They are actually matching the infsenty of the first line, all though they are playing weaker defensive match ups.

That's the key right now.

I don't care how much ice they get, as long as they're playing some of the easier competition as much as possible so they can build up their NHL skills & savvy before throwing them to the wolves.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Rookies make rookie mistakes, isn't that obvious? They are fine for games here & there but it's pretty rare that they stick together for long stretches of games. I could care less that I'm in the minority, the majority have been wrong on many occasions on here. Weren't the majority wrong going into Iraq?

Wideman is a right shot which would put Karlsson, Ceci & Wideman on the right side, small & soft. So you are on record of wanting an even younger team with less experience, does this make sense? People are always comparing who our players could be like, Conacher was going to be another Martin St Louis. The AHL & the KHL are not the NHL.

LOL!!!!

Either way, they're in a bottom pairing line where their best quality will to be provide energy for the team and give a spark. Not be the top line. Too much pressure on rookies leads to what you're talking about. They can be a solid line together IN THEIR ROLE. You're just trying to ***** about something because you're bored apparently. It's not like anyones saying their the next Perry-Getz line.

But yeah solid take on foreign policy hahaha

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I don't care how much ice they get, as long as they're playing some of the easier competition as much as possible so they can build up their NHL skills & savvy before throwing them to the wolves.

In the Chicago game, Maclean ran them out a few times against the Toews-Hossa-Shaw line and they dominated them, hemming them in their zone.

These kids are going to be the bomb yo. Strap in and enjoy the ride as they become our top line. :yo:

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Geez, they have one good game & they get a story written about them. :shakehead

Another blogger who doesn't like Smith & Neil, what a surprise, are you all the same person or do you get together? I guess you would prefer a team of small soft forwards, a figure skating team. Shouldn't you guys be writing an article about Pageau & Wideman they are doing well in Bingo, shouldn't you be calling to bring them up? :shakehead

Three rookies on the same line while exciting right now is a recipe for disaster long term in the NHL. :shakehead

So..in your perfect world, is the plan to punch the puck into the net? I mean we are already one of the biggest teams in the NHL as it is. Neil has done what for the team exactly? I love the guy and he put his heart and soul into this team for years, but there comes a point when you have to cut bait. He isn't a threat on the ice offensively, he is a liability defensively and there aren't many goons to throw down with for a good 'ol staged fight these days. Last I checked, the big bad bruins had "figure skaters" like Marchand, Krejci and Bergeron leading the way offensively

BigBush*

great game from this line tonight. Stone is incredible, and every game looks faster

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wonder why they don't get a shot on the PP. They got the penalty call because of their energy, and then were on the bench for the whole of it.

The guys out there were looking for the "set play" running through Karlsson. Works when it works but was slow to set up and execute giving Red Wings plenty of time to track the puck.

Let the kids have a shot and see what happens with their speed. Might be interesting.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Wonder why they don't get a shot on the PP. They got the penalty call because of their energy, and then were on the bench for the whole of it.

The guys out there were looking for the "set play" running through Karlsson. Works when it works but was slow to set up and execute giving Red Wings plenty of time to track the puck.

Let the kids have a shot and see what happens with their speed. Might be interesting.

The advantage in a pp is you don't need speed to keep the puck, you need structure.

They may score goals on the pp but the guys we have score more over long haul. In time they'll probably get time as individuals

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Same with Hoffman. He was on the point for a bit.

Also Stone was out there. They were there at separate points.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The advantage in a pp is you don't need speed to keep the puck, you need structure.

They may score goals on the pp but the guys we have score more over long haul. In time they'll probably get time as individuals

I can see that, but the defending team has a lot of reaction time when the structure is slow developing, as ours has been. Maybe its gets better with time, but they've had preseason and 10% of regular season, so it should be faster.

Kids play at tempo. Give them the structure and lets see if they can execute it quicker so defenders over react or are just over whelmed with the speed of decision making.

Worth a shot than spending 20-30 seconds getting the puck back in the zone if we lose the faceoff, and then having to position in order to get the puck to Karlsson (which every team knows is coming) to distribute for "the play".

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan (just leave it alone man)
Sweat Shop
Condra/Greening-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Smith/Michalek-Legwand-Neil

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That line is currently 40/12 on takeaways/giveaways.

Thats crazy guys! Its probably the best ratio of the whole league

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That line is currently 40/12 on takeaways/giveaways.

Thats crazy guys! Its probably the best ratio of the whole league

It helps when you have speed and tenacity down the middle leading the charge. That's why I wanna see Pageau up here. Facing the Lazar line then the Pageau line would be incredibly difficult for any team to muster up anything when dealing with that forecheck.

Hoffman's speed, Lazar's work ethic and Stone's incredible IQ are like the perfect match all-around.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Another blogger who doesn't like Smith & Neil, what a surprise, are you all the same person or do you get together? I guess you would prefer a team of small soft forwards, a figure skating team. Shouldn't you guys be writing an article about Pageau & Wideman they are doing well in Bingo, shouldn't you be calling to bring them up? :shakehead

Three rookies on the same line while exciting right now is a recipe for disaster long term in the NHL. :shakehead

if i had to choose between: big skilled fast smart players.. or small skilled fast smart players, i would choose big

but if i had to choose between big slow dumb unskilled players... or small skilled fast smart players.. i would choose small.
regardless of size. skill smarts and to a lesser degree speed..kills... Size is the bonus.

And now im reading what i just wrote taken in slightly different context , and im laughing

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Just haaaaaate it when you get like this. Lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Agreed, excellent point.

Kid line was matched up against the Matthias-Vey-Richardson line in the Vancouver game, and got good results. I wonder if it would have been the same story against the Canucks top lines.

These are still kids, it's a learning process. For all the people who whine and moan about Maclean not playing the kids more, it's obvious that they're not looking at the long-term picture here. Throwing too much responsibility onto young players who may not be ready for it is a tired-and-true method of wrecking a young player's confidence.

I already think we rushed Zibanejad, and I think we're seeing the negative effects of that now. No need to rush these kids, too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really like the potential here. can't help looking ahead, sorry...

MacArthur-TURRIS-Ryan
Hoffman-ZIBANEJAD-Chiasson
Puempel-LAZAR-Stone
Paul-PAGEAU-Robinson
lindberg
dzingel
prince

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Englund-Harpur
boro
gryba