The Kelowna Rockets powerhouse

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Since the 2000-2001 season, the Rockets have missed the playoffs once (2006-2007) and finished 1st or 2nd in 12 out of those 14 seasons. Right now they are on pace for 132 points. Obviously, good junior teams are usually good because they have lots of great NHL prospects, that they usually lose sooner or later. Since they get to pick really late in the draft then, the best rookies should go to other teams. And yet, the Rockets have stayed up there in the standings for that long, and it doesn't look like they'll have a much weaker roster anytime soon. Obviously they haven't won a Memorial Cup in a long time, but this might actually happen this season. Is there any end of this in sight? Will the roster get worse anytime soon?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they'll win the Memorial Cup this year. Hoping they trade for Morrissey, just for the fact him and Bowey will be dangerous, also Kelowna helped develop really good defenseman, which could make Morrissey even better than ever.

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
At some point this year they need to load up with a couple short term rental types for the playoffs if the cost isn't too high. They are loaded, they have a great culture and a close team, but I'd like to see them add some depth and a couple more high end players with good attitudes. This year and next is their window to grab a WHL title or two, of note they are basically only losing Bowey and Goulbourne next year.

I think they had a shot last year to really take a run at Portland and they basically treaded water or worse at the deadline... basically swapped Franko for Tvrdon who was a major disappointment imo attitude wise and produced at the same rate as Franko.

This year they should grab Morrisey and take a run at another last year in the dub star from an average to mediocre team from the east with no realistic championship hopes like Klimchuk out of Regina. Or maybe even try to get Bjorkstrand or Petan out of Portland if they keep sucking and can stomach dealing with the Rockets.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Funny how fate sometimes comes back and bites you in the ass. Kelowna basically tried coasting after the 1st in game one and that came back and bit them. Kelowna is a great team, no doubt about it, however, you can't take any team for granted. I'm sure they all know what went wrong and I guarantee it won't happen again.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Curious to know how many players Kelowna has poached from the NCAA, or players heading down that path, over the past decade.

Last edited:

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Unbelievable. Getting really sick and ****ing tired of this team.

You're sick and tired of... the rockets? For making a trade? I don't think the Giants were really rivals even before they got Morrissey.

I'd love to see them go all in and acquire an all-star forward to round out the group now... not really Hamilton's style though and he's shown he doesn't usually part with his 1st rounders in the past. Adding Reinhart would just be awesome to watch for a few months but the price would destroy them for years to come.

Impressive that he got Morrissey without giving a 1st up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Rockets are a PERFECT example of how to run a junior team. They compete every year and build through the WHL draft. They have so many players currently on their team that have been WHL draft picks and the rarely make trades. Seems like every kid they draft turns to gold. Their head scout Lorne Frey is a genius and knows how to identify talent.
This last trade, acquiring Morrissey is just another example of how brilliant this team is. The fact that they got him without having to give up 1sts or a top prospect or a Stadel or a Gatenby or something in a package deal is beyond me.
This team is a favorite to win Mem Cup this year imo, and will continue to be a top team for years to come... Good work Kelowna, keep making other WHL teams envious of you and bring the Memorial Cup back to BC!!! Oh and they still have a 20 year old spot open, so they aren't done....

oh and FYI, here is potentially their PP.....

Merkley(league leader in points)
Chartier(2nd in WHL points and most goals in WHL)
Baillie? Goulbourne? Heck they could put pretty much anyone with Merkley/Chartier
Bowey(2nd in WHL dmen scoring)
Morrisey(possibly best dman in WHL and one of the top NHL prospect in the world)

Cant wait to see this team play again

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
At some point this year they need to load up with a couple short term rental types for the playoffs if the cost isn't too high. They are loaded, they have a great culture and a close team, but I'd like to see them add some depth and a couple more high end players with good attitudes. This year and next is their window to grab a WHL title or two, of note they are basically only losing Bowey and Goulbourne next year.

I think they had a shot last year to really take a run at Portland and they basically treaded water or worse at the deadline... basically swapped Franko for Tvrdon who was a major disappointment imo attitude wise and produced at the same rate as Franko.

This year they should grab Morrisey and take a run at another last year in the dub star from an average to mediocre team from the east with no realistic championship hopes like Klimchuk out of Regina. Or maybe even try to get Bjorkstrand or Petan out of Portland if they keep sucking and can stomach dealing with the Rockets.

As much as I love Klimer, seeing him get success in Kelowna and the the haul the Pats could get for him to build around Steel for the next few years is a great opportunity. Much like Brandon is still reaping the benefits of the Schenn deal, I'd love to see Regina do the same with Klimchuk (not that he'd get as much, but same idea).

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You're sick and tired of... the rockets? For making a trade? I don't think the Giants were really rivals even before they got Morrissey.

I'd love to see them go all in and acquire an all-star forward to round out the group now... not really Hamilton's style though and he's shown he doesn't usually part with his 1st rounders in the past. Adding Reinhart would just be awesome to watch for a few months but the price would destroy them for years to come.

Impressive that he got Morrissey without giving a 1st up.

No, just the Rockets in general, even though it's been the Edmonton-Portland show the last four years. As bad as the Giants have been lately, my hatred for the Rockets has remained strong. :laugh:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I assure you Kamloops would want a haul for Ully, especially going to a divisional rival. Rockets wouldn't pay the price.

agreed... Ully to Kelowna wont happen. Kelowna will acquire a 20 year old forward and call it a day. They don't need to do anything other than that. I could see Ully going to Medicine Hat or his hometown Calgary Hitmen.

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
No, just the Rockets in general, even though it's been the Edmonton-Portland show the last four years. As bad as the Giants have been lately, my hatred for the Rockets has remained strong. :laugh:

Ah... I've only lived here for 7 years and I think I missed the heydey of the Vancouver - Kelowna rivalry!

I mean I hate Vancouver as much as the next Kelownaite but it's more OT stuff like getting the Canucks rammed down our throat by NHL blackouts and a general inferiority complex because deep down we suspect that most of our tax dollars go to the coast and never come back :laugh:.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Ah... I've only lived here for 7 years and I think I missed the heydey of the Vancouver - Kelowna rivalry!

I mean I hate Vancouver as much as the next Kelownaite but it's more OT stuff like getting the Canucks rammed down our throat by NHL blackouts and a general inferiority complex because deep down we suspect that most of our tax dollars go to the coast and never come back :laugh:.

To be fair, their really hasn't been much of a Giants/Rockets rivalry. During our heyday, Everett was enemy #1. That lasted a good four years.

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Interesting, heard a rumor that the jets are thinking about sending Ryan Olsen down later in the season into that last 20 year old slot the rockets have for a potential memorial cup run with Morrissey as he's been struggling a bit in the AHL and the Icecaps are not going to be a contending team.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interesting, heard a rumor that the jets are thinking about sending Ryan Olsen down later in the season into that last 20 year old slot the rockets have for a potential memorial cup run with Morrissey as he's been struggling a bit in the AHL and the Icecaps are not going to be a contending team.

Interesting. That would be a pretty great 1-2 punch down the middle to have him and Chartier.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
IF the Draisaitl thing was to materialize, Kelowna would still be able to grab another "20".

Olsen wouldn't cost them anything.

If by trade, what "20" would be the elite guy in the Dub the Rockets would pursue?

Jack Rodewald in Moose Jaw?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I really hope Kelowna doesn't acquire Draisaitl's rights.

I don't want to cheer for him. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, if the Rockets acquired his rights and Edmonton sent him down, i'd be so pumped. This team would be ****ing INSANE.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I really hope Kelowna doesn't acquire Draisaitl's rights.

I don't want to cheer for him. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, if the Rockets acquired his rights and Edmonton sent him down, i'd be so pumped. This team would be ****ing INSANE.

Ugh. I dont want that. I want the Wheat Kings to have A CHANCE at going to the mem cup :laugh:

But seriously, Draisaitl would be an crazy edition. It would put them over the top. One of the best rosters of all time if that happened, probably.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Ugh. I dont want that. I want the Wheat Kings to have A CHANCE at going to the mem cup :laugh:

But seriously, Draisaitl would be an crazy edition. It would put them over the top. One of the best rosters of all time if that happened, probably.

Don't worry, Brandon has Patrick for two more years, plus the team will be way more stronger next year. I think Brandon should be there next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad