The Karlsson trade has me worried for the Jets

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Helly keeps on playing the way he has so far , i still think we are better but MAN the west is strong .

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Were they 2-1-0 agaisnt us or 2-0-1?

Interesting that McPhee seems more worried about us than anyone else. Between the Brassard shenanigans and luring Stastny away, it says something about Chevy that a GM as good as McPhee seems genuinely concerned about getting in our way.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
San Jose and Toronto are going to be insanely strong. However, Vegas scares me the most. We beat them only twice last year (iirc), and they added Pacioretty and our 2C since. I’m not worried of the Preds anymore though.

Vegas had everyone on their career year and lost Neal+ Perron, they upgraded but not by that much.

San Jose is a huge threat but atleast they are on Pacific.

But I thought this was related on Troubas trade value if he's not willing to sign a longterm deal with Jets.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
From my perspective, I thought the Jets were at a disadvantage playing Vegas since we just went through a hard fought 7 game series against Nashville, while Vegas caked walked through the Pacific.

Maybe not such a bad result having the Sharks becoming more competitive so that the Pacific victor isn’t so fresh.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
St.Louis also upgraded alot from last season , other than Minnesota and maybe Chicago our division is goofy strong .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think with the addition of Karlsson the Sharks are in the upper echelon of teams along with Winnipeg, Vegas, and Nashville to challenge for the western conference. Colorado and St Louis may also be legit challengers.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im not worried :popcorn:

I would have pulled

A Karlsson Stone Duschene super blockbuster trade for
Morrissey Trouba Perrault ;)

If i had known Jets top pairing d will be hard to sign :)

Is that possibel capwise though :naughty:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Vegas had everyone on their career year and lost Neal+ Perron, they upgraded but not by that much.

San Jose is a huge threat but atleast they are on Pacific.

But I thought this was related on Troubas trade value if he's not willing to sign a longterm deal with Jets.
I also wish we'd hired Gallant when he was standing on the side of the road.

Reactions: Anton Hipchekhov

Whileee

May 29, 2010
St.Louis also upgraded alot from last season , other than Minnesota and maybe Chicago our division is goofy strong .
I think StL will be stronger, but O'Reilly wasn't much better than Stastny the last couple of seasons, all things considered. The Blues did add some talent, but they lost quite a bit at C in Stastny and Berglund, I think.

OReilly Berglund Stastny WAR.png

It'll be important to see how Fabbri bounces back from his knee injuries, and whether Perron maintains his level of play from last season.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I think StL will be stronger, but O'Reilly wasn't much better than Stastny the last couple of seasons, all things considered. The Blues did add some talent, but they lost quite a bit at C in Stastny and Berglund, I think.

View attachment 139983

It'll be important to see how Fabbri bounces back from his knee injuries, and whether Perron maintains his level of play from last season.
Once again what fans should realize and also imo expect is that a large % of key Jets players are on the rise and will contribute more.

It is not unrealistic to think more is yet to come from players like Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Roslovic, Lowry, Scheifele , Trouba, Copp and even Tanev.

Not all will have better years at least statistically but it is not hoping to get better years this year and in the future from them. Add some additions from youth and at least the same level from Wheeler, Little, Buff, Helle and I am not overly concerned about the opposition.

Play well enough during the season to make the playoffs and then match up against who you draw and let the playoffs unfold.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The Sharks are and should be a concern.

Erik Karlsson is that good. He dragged an average Sens team to the third round of the playoffs on a bum foot. He is the most talented defensemen the league has seen for a long long time.

I thought we were the favourite to win the Western Conference. I do not know if we could beat San Jose in a seven game series. That would be a toss up that would most likely depend on how Martin Jones plays vs Hellebuyck.

Jets do have an advantage in the sense that they are deeper and have superior forwards. Over an 82 game schedule that may be an advantage.

Karlsson's play in his own zone is not elite. If the jets could somehow keep the puck deep in San Jose's zone and hold it for long periods we might have a decent chance.

Karlsson is guy who can bring it up two levels and win a series by himself...its a scary proposition.

Then again, winning the Cup will be very hard facing Karlsson or not.

If the Jets don't win the Cup this year, a moderate re-tool may be in order. With Trouba leaving and Byfuglien making so much there will be need to be significant turnover to clear cap space for Connor, Laine and the players young enough to support the new youth core moving into their prime.. I would hope Morrissey signs and is a part of it.

In three seasons Laine will be in his prime as will Connor, Schief and Ehlers. Fingers crossed on Morrissey as well.

I would hope Vesalainien, Niku and Samberg are all contributing as well. If Trouba needs to be dealt it should be with this context in mind. If Buff , Wheeler and Little need to go to support that group I would support it 100%.

Still unsure about Wheeler's contract as I write this.

Last edited:
Reactions: heilongjetsfan

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Not to take away anything from most of the teams in the West - they've all been good and look to be even better. But all I heard about last season was how f***ing spectacular Nashville's defence was. Jets still beat them. Not because the defence wasn't actually that good (it is for sure) but things clicked for us and not so much for them during those games. I'm not worried about 'super teams' beating the Jets yet. Seems most of the cup winners lately have been built from the ground up - the teams you kind of know whats coming. Tampa Bay looked as stacked as any of the West teams and got smacked around out East. The Caps last year remind me a bit of the Jets this year (just in terms of the fact it seemed like they were 'at their best' the year prior, lost some good TD pickups in FA while rest of conference got stronger - didn't seem as stacked going into the next season).

TL,DR: Not worried at all yet. Assuming we don't run into psychotic 'can't believe its not drugs' MAF in WCF level goaltending I think Jets can beat any of them. (not saying we will - but pre-season hasnt even started so will remain optimistic!)

(for the record I don't think MAF was on drugs - just salty about how f***ing good he was)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Sharks' forwards don't worry me that much. Pavelski isn't the same player as he used to be, and Thornton is due for decline.

The Sharks are kind of what everyone is worried the Jets will be toward the end of Byfuglien and Wheeler's deals. Wilson is a hell of a manager though. Finessed Ottawa hard this summer and basically gave up nothing of consequence for Karlsson because Ottawa handed them Hoffman for a salary dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad