The Jordan Thread

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't see why Isiah exclusion is a big deal. The Dream Team still destroyed everyone and performed up to expectations (and perhaps even exceeded) without Isiah. Plenty of great players including John Stockton didn't make the team either. Even in hockey, Chris Kunitz and Rick Nash made the Olympic team over Giroux and won without breaking a sweat. Who cares?

It's not like it's the US Olympic Team in 2004 that refused to take Kobe and ended up with a humiliating leBronze.

71J6ikXVSRL._AC_UL1024_.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wonder if 'Nique would have made the Dream team if he was healthy.

He averaged 28, 3 & 7 in 1992 before tearing his achilles. Have to think he makes it over Drexler if he's healthy.

This is just stupid. For starters Pippen barely has more APG and SPG than Jordan in the playoffs, while Jordan scores way more. Like I saw a stat that shows Scottie average 1 extra assist over Jordan every playoff round ... whoopity doo, that's basically a statisical tie. Pippen's shooting percentage in the last three titles was also atrocious, going 39%-41% at times.

Magic and Bird didn't want Isiah Thomas on the Dream Team either, Magic had a much more serious feud with Isiah where they didn't talk to each other for like 15 years.

Any of the top 10 players (Jordan, Wilt, Shaq, Magic, Bird, LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, etc.) would have won titles eventually in their career because they're simply too good to be held down forever.

These narratives were dumb when they were put on Kobe (can't win without Shaq ... uh nope) and Jordan is better than Kobe.

Bird had the same issues with Isiah as Jordan did. Thomas could be very unprofessional at times and unsportsmanlike. When you have beef with the 3 most popular players in the league / on the team .... good luck making it to the final cut.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
330px-Anucha_Browne_Sanders_cropped.jpg

Isiah had declined by 1992 and was closer to the 8th best point guard in the league. He didn't deserve to be anywhere close to team USA as a player, and his popularity was leagues behind Magic's.
Anucha Browne Sanders is an American former women's basketball player and a former executive for the New York Knicks team of the NBA. She is also known for winning a sexual harassment lawsuit that she filed against former New York Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas and Madison Square Garden.
Anucha Browne Sanders - Wikipedia

Agreed. Magic and Stockton were much better. More importantly a member of the Selection Committee admitted in the Dream Team documentary that they were working on their list during the 1991 Eastern Conference playoffs when the childish, immature Isiah lead the Pistons off the court before the end of the game where the Bulls eliminated the Pistons from the playoffs. They all agreed we can't have this clown representing the USA in the biggest event in Olympic history. This was before Jordan was invited and he was the last NBA player to accept (except for 12th invite Drexler), because he wanted to see what other NBA players would accept. People also forget Isiah was just as bad a Knicks executive as Phil Jackson and lost a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a Knicks employee.

No knowledgeable basketball fan associates or blames Jordan or Pippen for Isiah not being on the Dream Team at all. When they try I just :laugh: .

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyromaniac

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Isiah had declined by 1992 and was closer to the 8th best point guard in the league. He didn't deserve to be anywhere close to team USA as a player, and his popularity was leagues behind Magic's.

Nonsense. Isiah was still a really good player in '92 (although injuries were starting to pile up and was showing some signs of wear and tear).
He was the lead guy of a dynasty that could have easily won 3 in a row (should have won in '88) during the Magic, Bird and Jordan era and was one of the best big game players of all time. He deserved to be on that team as much as anybody not named Jordan, Bird and Magic.

Hell, even Jordan admitted that the main reason he wasn't on the team is because half the guys didn't want him on the team and said he was the 2nd best point guard of all time behind Magic. It's amazing to me how underrated Isiah (and The Bad Boys) are to this day.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
330px-Anucha_Browne_Sanders_cropped.jpg

Anucha Browne Sanders - Wikipedia

Agreed. Magic and Stockton were much better. More importantly a member of the Selection Committee admitted in the Dream Team documentary that they were working on their list during the 1991 Eastern Conference playoffs when the childish, immature Isiah lead the Pistons off the court before the end of the game where the Bulls eliminated the Pistons from the playoffs. They all agreed we can't have this clown representing the USA in the biggest event in Olympic history. This was before Jordan was invited and he was the last NBA player to accept (except for 12th invite Drexler), because he wanted to see what other NBA players would accept. People also forget Isiah was just as bad a Knicks executive as Phil Jackson and lost a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a Knicks employee.

No knowledgeable basketball fan associates or blames Jordan or Pippen for Isiah not being on the Dream Team at all. When they try I just :laugh: .

Ok but IT's sexual harassment allegations and his time with the Knicks has 0 to do with any of this.

He and Magic were actually super close when he started his career, he used to attend the finals to cheer on Magic, who was like a big brother / mentor to him. Then he managed to burn that bridge, as well as his relationship with Bird and then started things off on the wrong foot with Jordan.

Even if he wasn't elite anymore, he'd of made the team if he hadn't burnt all those bridges. Hard to include a guy who 1/4 of the team doesn't like. That same quarter being the main guys / leaders.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I heard a very long time ago that the reason Thomas didn't like Jordan was because Thomas was born in Chicago and Jordan became bigger than him in his home town. The crowd would boo Thomas and that really got to him.

But perhaps the rivalry really began the day Michael Jordan became a Chicago Bull in the 1984 draft, his electric personality and eclectic basketball repertoire quickly eclipsing the bright light that was the local favorite, little Isiah Thomas from St. Joseph High School, NCAA champion Indiana U., and especially Gladys Park in Garfield Park. It's where the diminutive and daring hoopster became the darling of the city. Until the air went out of his balloon.

Isiah would return to his park for pickup games and he heard: "You ain't nothin. Jordan's the man. Jordan's better than you."
"I didn't understand being booed in Chicago Stadium and I took it personally," Thomas once told me. "It was very conflicting. I'm giving my family tickets to the game and they're rooting for the Bulls. I used to tell Michael, ‘You might wear Chicago on your chest, but I'll show you what Chicago guys play like.'"
It was on, and it wasn't G rated.
There was the famous freeze out at the 1985 All-Star game in Indianapolis that supposedly was orchestrated by Isiah, Magic Johnson and George Gervin to ostensibly embarrass the cocky rookie. Jordan was anything but that for the weekend, actually more of a shy kid trying to fit in with the game's stars. ''I was very quiet when I went down there,'' Jordan said afterward. ''I didn't want to go there like, ‘I'm a big shot rookie and you must respect me.'"

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Nonsense. Isiah was still a really good player in '92 (although injuries were starting to pile up and was showing some signs of wear and tear).
He was the lead guy of a dynasty that could have easily won 3 in a row (should have won in '88) during the Magic, Bird and Jordan era and was one of the best big game players of all time. He deserved to be on that team as much as anybody not named Jordan, Bird and Magic.

Hell, even Jordan admitted that the main reason he wasn't on the team is because half the guys didn't want him on the team and said he was the 2nd best point guard of all time behind Magic. It's amazing to me how underrated Isiah (and The Bad Boys) are to this day.

Isiah gets extremely overrated in hindsight actually because he needs to be played up as the obstacle and adversary in Michael Jordan's journey. First of all, his best seasons statistically and by league-wide perception at the time all came before the Pistons ever won a championship. His last season voted onto an all-NBA team was 1987. Joe Dumars was even voted onto an all-NBA team in 1990 while Isiah wasn't. Other point guards like Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Mark Price, and Tim Hardaway repeatedly made all-NBA slots over Isiah from 1988-92, and all of those players were better statistically by 1992 as well. He wasn't viewed as the second best PG behind Magic even at the time.

Second, the Pistons teams won 2 championships because they had the best defense in the playoffs by a huge margin - 1.7 points per 100 possession in 89 and 3.9 (!) points per 100 possessions in 90 - despite closer to playoff average (4th and 8th of 16 teams) offenses in those years, and because they had a deep roster of good players. Their playoff offense in 1989 was better (!) with Thomas on the bench, and he had the lowest offensive rating of any of their 9 rotation players that postseason. Isiah was a good defender for a point guard, but point guard is the least important and impactful position defensively, while being generally the most important offensively. The fact that the Pistons were historically good at defense those two years and just solid at offense shows that Isiah's influence was important but one of many that went into those teams. He was too inefficient of a scorer to be one of the best players in the world. Those championships were a true team effort; they weren't the case of Isiah just being the best player in every series and carrying a solid squad to a title.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's amazing to me how underrated Isiah (and The Bad Boys) are to this day.
People disagreed with the style of basketball they played and, thus, took credit away from them.

Is it right? Probably not, but I also can see why people don't want to give them their due credit based on how overly physical they were in a sport that doesn't really lend itself towards physicality.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People disagreed with the style of basketball they played and, thus, took credit away from them.

Is it right? Probably not, but I also can see why people don't want to give them their due credit based on how overly physical they were in a sport that doesn't really lend itself towards physicality.

The Pistons were the NBA version of the '70's Flyers.

Reactions: Fighter and Voight

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Jordan's the GOAT for me and I never saw him play a single game on TV. Just watching his highlights, seeing his accomplishments and its surreal how dominant of a player he was.

He wasnt the best human being but he made his empire and has undoubtedly helped further different causes and organizations along the way with his philanthropical efforts over the years.

Lebron is 1B/2 for me. Hes an insanely talented player. His physcial package+Ball IQ is the greatest ever imo. He is behind MJ by a bit for me but ahead of the rest of the pack. His committement to remaining among the best in the NBA is insane. He has upped his media image over the recent years and become more active in working to solve issues within the US. He isnt a perfect person either and like others falls silent to the $$ when push comes to shove (Issue with China).

Both are legendary players whose highlights will always be epic to watch

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You know Jordan was the GOAT when the GOATs of the time and his era were already calling him that. They conceded to his greatness while he was still playing, and playing against them.
Magic always says stupid overenthusisatic shot, I ean his stints with ESPN and his tweets prove that consistently

And Bird praises James f***ing Harden

But make no mistake, Bird kicked Jordan's ass on a regular basis

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Magic always says stupid overenthusisatic shot, I ean his stints with ESPN and his tweets prove that consistently

And Bird praises James f***ing Harden

But make no mistake, Bird kicked Jordan's ass on a regular basis
Correction Bird's team kicked Jordan's teams ass on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad