2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Lets say that he does, he beats a good team trapping to high hell, team goes deep, and wins the cup. How much goodwill does that buy him?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lets say that he does, he beats a good team trapping to high hell, team goes deep, and wins the cup. How much goodwill does that buy him?

Depends what his results are in the following seasons? If he wins a cup and the team misses the playoffs 2 years in a row then obviously you need to change something regardless of a cup win. If he wins and the team is consistently contending every year then sure, keep him for as long as they're successful.

The goal is to consistently win or contend not win once and live off it, not even Quinnville can live off of 3 cups for long.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
instant answer all is forgiven and forgotten in past.... we all want to win.... i am ok NOT winning cup and keeping cooper if said happens.... my questions are did he lose the team like boucher had? (last night says absolutely NOT).... since this and few games is all we have as barings i even throw out last year cause of vasy not being healthy being biggest reason no cup I can overlook that and a bad few games..... or couple games.... my questions were did lose team.... that to me was answered.... next question he is still learning.... is he capable of trying out new things power play cirelli pass said yep.... next big question is he smart enough to let the team play to its strength going down 2-1 in toronto did he panic no he let them play and we simply outplayed a GOOD toronto team that a lot of you feel obviously is not too good.... I disagree 100% this toronto team is different on the flip side paper wise we are also with a fourth line and a fully healthy palat? We are hugely different then last year.... I will also say i liked the refs this game.... which helps us if they call games as they should... I want cooper to not fall back into bad decisions a bad palat last year who shoulda been benched a broken wrist tyjo in chicago series again benched.... hard decisions but i also want cooper to make choices do tricks like bringing in cirelli and letting this team play to its strengths..... if he does this even if we dont win cup i for one will be happy with this team... cups are hard is no guarantee the team i saw yesterday played and looked like best team ive seen in a long time in hockey many years even... this is what i expected with the additions we added... this is what i expect of this team... then again like last year basically we are the only team that can beat us except god's will if we have health i feel we will win the cup.... not 100% on cooper its on everyone.... they got to step up and fight for ever puck and be engaged.... this is hard during an 82 game season i dont expect this every night.... yet after last night id happily face anyone in 7 games for the cup:) they got things to work on always but the fire was there they were hungry and angry.... i still think toronto is much better adding some pieces and barrie is a huge git they will not go down easily is other teams gonna give us trouble... i am not worried on so called trap only worried on health if we had vasy healthy team woulda been more confident and i think we woulda gotten cup last year feel same now.... team isnt lost just wasnt mad and engaged fully... again long season gonna have games that show this...

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I've seen Coop get outcoached deep in the playoffs too many times. He'll get this year and he's probably out if he doesn't make the SCF. All emotion aside...he's had a reasonable chance to take this team to a cup title. Last year should have been his "last chance" but this year definitely is...maybe the players will show more urgency knowing their BFF is on the line.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
He wins Cup, *I* will forgive him for UB#1 - #6... but less than Cup, he has to go

Last night was simply Point running on 100% adrenaline and had nothing to do with Cooper's coaching ability, or lack thereof

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

If we win the Cup I'd say a significant amount of time depending on how well we do. Considering how much time he's had to win his first Cup I'd say he possibly keeps his job safe if he were to duplicate the exact same success as his first 6 years. Let's play pretend and say we win the Cup and duplicate his career exactly.

2019-2020: We win the Cup
2020-2021: 1st round exit
2021-2022: Cup Finalists
2022-2023: East Finalists
2023-2024: Miss Playoffs
2024-2025: East Finalists
2025-2026: 1st round exit
2027-2028: We win the Cup

That is rough as hell. I'm sure his job would be in question so many times before the end. But if you duplicate it the by this point Cooper will have made 4 Cup appearances, won it twice, 4 other Conference Final appearances for at least 8 total, only missed the playoffs twice and a 1st round out twice all in 12 years. Save for the order of how all that goes down that's a hell of a consistent track record and not one I'd complain much about. The Cup is hard as hell to win and he has my eternal gratitude if he can do it this year.

For what it's worth we've been a very understanding fanbase. Spend some time on the Pens board and holy f***. After 5 Stanley Cups 35 years of generational talent (one of which was arguably better than Gretzky) and they're on f***ing suicide watch these days over "Crosby and Malkin's careers being wasted"

Are you f***ing SERIOUS?! You just won that shit twice... be happy it happened

Reactions: Hoek

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
He wins Cup, *I* will forgive him for UB#1 - #6... but less than Cup, he has to go

Last night was simply Point running on 100% adrenaline and had nothing to do with Cooper's coaching ability, or lack thereof
I agree. The team steeped up and played a skill game. Thats nice and all but Toronto let Tampa have the neutral zone all to themselves. The real test comes when a team clogs it up and takes it away, like what happens to us in the playoffs. The team trys to be too cute and skate/pass their way through which results in a turnover. Then the next time they have possession they dump it in because they're too tired and go for a change with maybe one fore checker who can't get the puck. Rinse repeat. At least in the playoffs.

The infuriating thing about it is that we've seen them play a fore checking game every now and then, and guess what? When they finish their checks the other team turns it over and it creates offense. SHOCKING I KNOW! I just wish Cooper could see that instead of smashing his head against a brick wall.

Sorry about the rant, it was not directed at you. :)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's really all about the playoffs with Coop. If we do poorly in the reg season, it's a morale thing. But doing poorly in the playoffs, at this point, feels very, systematic.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Watching this team these days is like seeing a corpse reanimate itself. No matter how many signs of life you see, it stinks. It sucks. I like Coop too man. I really wished he was gonna be the one. But this team just does not care anymore.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Cooper is not winning a cup here ever this team may miss the playoffs this year! Another really bad game in Ottawa today vs a very bad Ottawa team laid an egg!

But ok we probably make the playoffs but there is now way cooper is taking this team to the Stanley cup finals. But if he won a cup ya then all is forgiven of course and that buys him probably like 3-4 years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we're at a point where the odd statement game, like against Toronto, is as much a mark against Cooper as it is for him. Because it's a reminder of the kind of talent we're working with, and how we should have had more success than this.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hey Cooper

iu

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we're at a point where the odd statement game, like against Toronto, is as much a mark against Cooper as it is for him. Because it's a reminder of the kind of talent we're working with, and how we should have had more success than this.

"They only care about playoffs"

*Won no games in playoffs with the same issues they're losing games in October*

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hey Cooper

iu

Pretty much perfect.

This season is starting to feel like 2016 and 2017, where the team barely bothered looking at the standings to realize how far out they were.

I'm just not sure how "The team won't listen to him!" is a defense of a Cooper, or any coach for that matter. If he's saying all the right things, and the team's not listening, it's still a coaching problem. You have to find somebody they can't tune out even if they want to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->