The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Why are we mad at Jarmo again ? For going out and getting a #1 center, and a very talented top 6 winger in Dzingel ? With the expansion coming up, has anyone thought that they are making these moves, because there will have to be players moved for assets, or they will be exposed to Seattle . Nothing in this draft was going to help the team next year . There will be plenty of moves Jarmo will have to make, that will get draft picks back. For example, dont be suprised to see Werenski shopped this summer. He will command a huge return because of his age, offensive ability. The Jackets have a great core of defenseman in Jones, Murray, Nutivaara, Garikov, Savard, Harrington, Kukan, Carlsson, and Clendening, and depth defenseman can be aquired rather cheaply. This mess currently going on, lies directly at the feet of our head coach and his staff. You think Jarmo likes drafting all these young skill guys, only to watch them be thwarted , playing in Torts system. Hell , last night, Torts talking about Duchene, and Dzingel, said they have been focusing on playing differently , away from the puck. More offensive talent squandered by Torts. Ditch the stupid Safe is death, and let your forwards play their game.

Reactions: Fred Glover and Fro

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Pretty much everyone on the boards universally liked the Duchene move. Most liked the Dzingel move. Not sure how we can bring out the pitchforks for Jarmo only now that the moves that made us one of the deepest teams in the league haven't panned out, due to nothing on his own part. Most here were okay mortgaging the future a week ago. And suddenly, since the team is playing like shit, it should mean the death of Jarmo? What does he have to do with how the team plays? Frankly, I think Jarmo is one of the best GM's in the league at both drafting and getting good value on trades. Getting rid of him would likely be a travesty.

He made the moves that we were excited to make at the time. He showed that he wanted to win. It's not his fault that the team has gone in the opposite direction. It's 100% on Torts and the players. Personally, I put 90% of the blame on Torts and his stupid defensive "system" that leaves Bob out to dry 3-5 times a game, his clear as day inability to properly coach and develop skilled players to play in today's NHL, and his flat out refusal to coach offense. It's Torts' fault that the new guys haven't been able to integrate themselves into the lineup, it's his fault that the defensive strategy leads to odd man rushes, and it's his fault that the team has no system in place to consistently provide goals. It's his fault that, in today's NHL when most goals are scored off of the rush/transition, the team has no defined transition game other than motherf***ing dump and chase.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The current on-ice mess is, IMO, on the players, in particular the leadership group. I love Nick, always have, but this is another example of the team having some turbulence and not responding well.

You understand this isn't a video game or ROTO/Fantasy hockey. You don't just plug in a new player and assume chemistry is there.

This team changed over night from a team with average offensive talent (forward group) and a system that was largely dump and chase to a team with better than average offensive talent that it appears the coach still wants the system to be dump and chase.

Should have been conversations with Tort that hey we could be adding some players - who fits in your system or what type of system can we quickly transition to? But it appears we just added a couple of higher end race horses and we put them in front of a plow. I don't see that as a players problem, as it was bad coaching or bad pickups.

Reactions: Halfboard

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There's a lot of debate in the deadline trades. Perfectly understandable. Did we overplay our hand? Did we give up too much? Should we have gotten assets for Bread and/or Bob? and more....but let's deal in the moment.

Not debatable is that we added talent and have the strongest roster in franchise history. Six forwards with 20+ goals. Good forward depth. A two time Vezina winner. All that and its being squandered in the final days of our playoff run. Great coaches figure it out and make that run.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You'd think from all these comments that the players didn't play their proper roles last night, that Torts' system didn't function as intended. The things that coaches coach, they did well on last night. They got the puck into the danger areas in the Jets end a lot more than the Jets had it in the Jackets end. That's all you can do.

I'm sick of Torts but I'm also sick of the exaggerations. You'd think from the comments that Torts has some bizarre system, that is very different from other coaches. It's really not that strange.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You'd think from all these comments that the players didn't play their proper roles last night, that Torts' system didn't function as intended. The things that coaches coach, they did well on last night. They got the puck into the danger areas in the Jets end a lot more than the Jets had it in the Jackets end. That's all you can do.

I'm sick of Torts but I'm also sick of the exaggerations. You'd think from the comments that Torts has some bizarre system, that is very different from other coaches. It's really not that strange.
This would be why my "**** evaluations, just react" side has retreated to "THE DUCHENE CURSE IS REAL" rather than trying to blame anyone in charge. I can't see anything that could plausibly be pointed to as the cause other than "nobody can gel with anyone" - and even that doesn't have much plausibility because many of the same lines have been kept together in an attempt to fix it. It's madness.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I dunno why anyone would have strong opinions about the trades and/or subsequent coaching after only a handful of games. I'm gonna need to see the rest of the season and playoffs before passing judgement.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This would be why my "**** evaluations, just react" side has retreated to "THE DUCHENE CURSE IS REAL" rather than trying to blame anyone in charge. I can't see anything that could plausibly be pointed to as the cause other than "nobody can gel with anyone" - and even that doesn't have much plausibility because many of the same lines have been kept together in an attempt to fix it. It's madness.

Why is there anything to blame in the first place? Everyone did their job last night.

I throw blame after a lot of losses. Even after the last game against Tampa, a game they weren't supposed to win, I was blaming Torts' system for all the odd-mans they were giving up. I just don't see it after last night.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why is there anything to blame in the first place? Everyone did their job last night.
G-DDAMNIT I'M ALLOWED TO BE IRRATIONAL SOMETIMES TOO

;)

The point was that I don't think there is blame that can be given out. So I'm kind of sitting here going "IDKWTF" and the paranoid psycho bitch in the back of my head is going "THE CURRRRSE".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
G-DDAMNIT I'M ALLOWED TO BE IRRATIONAL SOMETIMES TOO

;)

The point was that I don't think there is blame that can be given out. So I'm kind of sitting here going "IDKWTF" and the paranoid psycho ***** in the back of my head is going "THE CURRRRSE".

Yeah I'll admit there is a paranoid part of me that comes out every losing streak. But for whatever reason I don't give that part keyboard access. :laugh::laugh:

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Thought I'd copy this over in case people wanted to chat about it here:

General consensus just changed rapidly.

I liked the Duchene move, didn't care for the Dzingel one, didn't like the Kinkaid and McQuaid moves at all.

We could have stopped after Duchene, or stopped after Dzingel, and had just as good if not better team (those weren't upgrades), and kept 5+ picks. Losing the first rounder is fine if you can draft quality like Texier and Bemstrom after that, but then you go and trade the later picks too?

Thats exactly what i was thinking, the duchene deal was more then enough, i mean i didn't think that jarmo needed to make the mcquaid deal, i know murray is hurt right now but is Mcquaid even that much of an upgrade over other options?

Why exactly was kinkaid acquired? its not like he is going to play much for the rest of the season, i wouldn't have traded for Dzingel either at least not after acquiring Duchene.

I really think Jarmo is regretting some of the extra moves he made and leaving himself with little draft picks, there is always a few players in the draft that you fall in love with but with very little ammunition he's going to miss out on some of those players, unless he doesn't care because he knows he is going to get canned.

Reactions: majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah I'll admit there is a paranoid part of me that comes out every losing streak. But for whatever reason I don't give that part keyboard access. :laugh::laugh:
I try to limit it, but if I omit it entirely the bitch starts freaking out and utterly refuses to shut up, and it gets real old real fast. :nod: ;)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I really think Jarmo is regretting some of the extra moves he made and leaving himself with little draft picks, there is always a few players in the draft that you fall in love with but with very little ammunition he's going to miss out on some of those players, unless he doesn't care because he knows he is going to get canned.

This is another situation where I'm not going to pass judgement until the time actually comes. There is plenty of time to re-stock draft picks through trades.

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
Why are we mad at Jarmo again ? For going out and getting a #1 center, and a very talented top 6 winger in Dzingel ? ….. This mess currently going on, lies directly at the feet of our head coach and his staff. You think Jarmo likes drafting all these young skill guys, only to watch them be thwarted , playing in Torts system. Hell , last night, Torts talking about Duchene, and Dzingel, said they have been focusing on playing differently , away from the puck. More offensive talent squandered by Torts. Ditch the stupid Safe is death, and let your forwards play their game.
You basically made the point about how Jarmo has to share the blame. Remind me who selected Torts to be HC of the Jackets? Was it any mystery who Torts was as a coach? He's an old-school, hard-ass who values checking/physical play/effort over skill. So what does Jarmo do - he gets a couple of skilled forwards for the top two lines with limited time to get them integrated by the coaching staff for the stretch run to the POs. Who could've known there'd be problems getting this to gel over a handful of games? If Jarmo is surprised by what's happening, then the dude hasn't been paying attention. Jarmo's TDL moves showed me that he over-values (and misjudges) the Jackets' actual competitiveness against the best teams in the EC.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I said it at the time and I stick with it... Its a big risk, big reward move by Jarmo. I am not opposed to it but if it fails, i.e. Jackets dont make the playoffs/get swept in 1st round, all FAs walk and Jackets are left with practically no draft picks for a couple of years, then that is on Jarmo. At the same time, if they make a deep run, sign 2-3 of the FAs, then he's a genius.
As for the new guys I think its too early to tell. Duchene and Dzingel are very good players. McQuaid looked like crap against the Oil and Kinkaid is a backup at best. BUT...the roster before these guys should have done better than they have done recently. A few more key losses and the boys will be on the outside of the playoffs looking in. I hope that's not the case but I have been a Jackets fan since day 1 so it would not surprise me in any way if this whole thing collapses.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

The only curse in play is the Curse of Blue Jacket. The team name and Civil War theme is a lie. Until someone in the organization apologizes for this the pain and humiliation will continue.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Matt Duchene. And the Ohio Penitentiary. :nod:

And yet, the Arena isn't built on the actual Penitentiary site and the team was cursed long before the arrival of Duchene!

There is a curse my friend. I'm not saying burn the kepi and dismantle the cannon, but it wouldn't hurt John P. to apologize to Blue Jacket just in case. :)

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->