The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Should ANYBODY be held "responsible" for Panarin leaving??

You can question spending assets on Duchene, and especially Dzingel, and ignoring my personal feelings on Bob, it would be a huge F-U to the players and fans to move Panarin last year, before or after being able to possibly move him before the year started for a younger "replacement", for a full year (+?) of Panarin.

--THE TEAM WAS OBVIOUSLY GOING TO BE NEGATIVELY IMPACTED BY PANARIN LEAVING--

Who has said something otherwise??

back-to-back-to-back-to-back....?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Bus-
I wish I was better at quoting but this is what you said in the point prediction thread:

1. thebus88, Aug 18, 2019ReportBookmark
    32Like+ Multi-QuoteReply

2. thebus88

Also, I see clear comparisons into how people are interpreting the removal of Panarin from the lineup in relation to when Nash was removed for 2 inferior players in Dubinsky and Anisimov. You could also say the same for the Johansen-Jones trade. The CBJ were better the very next game, but how? Nyquist is a legitimate top 6 winger that will make up for a significant chunk of offense from losing Panarin.

Also, in relation to Panarin and all these "advanced predictions" can you guys explain to me how the 16/17 CBJ season happened and how they got as many points as they did? Please show your work.

People need to remember, current Norris candidate and also current Columbus Blue Jacket ice hockey player Seth Jones, is the guy who played and plays 50% of games, NOT Panarin.​

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bus-
I wish I was better at quoting but this is what you said in the point prediction thread:
  1. Also, I see clear comparisons into how people are interpreting the removal of Panarin from the lineup in relation to when Nash was removed for 2 inferior players in Dubinsky and Anisimov. You could also say the same for the Johansen-Jones trade. The CBJ were better the very next game, but how? Nyquist is a legitimate top 6 winger that will make up for a significant chunk of offense from losing Panarin.

Also, in relation to Panarin and all these "advanced predictions" can you guys explain to me how the 16/17 CBJ season happened and how they got as many points as they did? Please show your work.

People need to remember, current Norris candidate and also current Columbus Blue Jacket ice hockey player Seth Jones, is the guy who played and plays 50% of games, NOT Panarin.​

I still see the comparisons (perception and reality) between Nash and Panarin leaving, however, there are a couple things that are different. The 1st, is that Panarin is simply just a more impactful player. Different players, and you could say Nash was just as good of a goal scorer in his prime, but, Panarin is/was just better.

Also, the difference between the Nash led CBJ teams and the Panarin led CBJ teams cant be ignored. There were many more holes that needed to be filled at the time, and Dubinsky and Anisimov filled them for a decent chunk of time. The current team is much better overall and depth-wise than the Nash teams, they don't have very many holes, but, what is NEEDED and would ALWAYS HELP is a top 10-20-whatever offensive player added to the team.

I don't think I have ever said that there would not be a negative impact from Panarin leaving, but, that Nyquist could make up for quite a bit. The team absolutely would be better with a new top 1-2 offensive player.

And what I am saying is that nobody, not Jarmo or Torts, or the residents of Columbus should be seen as AT FAULT for Panarin leaving. It is what it is.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Hopefully we can re-sign Savard. 4 year deal would be good.

Savard will be 30, almost 31, when his current deal expires. His game doesn't strike me as "aging well" when he gets to be 31+. He is, to me, the most likely blue liner to be moved in the next 14-15 months. Not sure why Jarmo would give him a 4-year deal with a blue line loaded with younger players. The D could be:

Werenski (22) - Jones (25)
Gavrikov (24) - Peeke (21)
Nutivaara (25) - Murray (26) / Kukan (26)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Savard will be 30, almost 31, when his current deal expires. His game doesn't strike me as "aging well" when he gets to be 31+. He is, to me, the most likely blue liner to be moved in the next 14-15 months. Not sure why Jarmo would give him a 4-year deal with a blue line loaded with younger players. The D could be:

Werenski (22) - Jones (25)
Gavrikov (24) - Peeke (21)
Nutivaara (25) - Murray (26) / Kukan (26)
He is a 2nd pair RHD. Dmen can play much later into their 30s than forwards.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He is a 2nd pair RHD. Dmen can play much later into their 30s than forwards.

Yes but Savard can’t skate. If he gets any slower his days are done in the NHL. This should be his last contract with us Imo

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m torn on Savard, a guy I’ve grown to greatly appreciate. Not fast, yet he understands positioning and is invariably the guy least apt to be guilty of triggering an opposition breakaway, while also being the best at breaking up the 2 on 1 breaks that do occur.

I’d extend him at 3 years or better yet 2 years at a slightly enriched AAV. My guess is he will be looking for 4 years and that’s more term than I’d likely give.

As to trades, I’d much prefer a deal on an oft-injured Murray than an aging Savard if the returns are anywhere comparable. I’d still look to package Nuti as Kuantan’s is similar and actually showing me more offensive upside, especially carrying the puck through the zone.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In all these proposed deals you have to keep in mind the upcoming expansion draft. I think Sarad needs to be gone so we can protect Murray. Gav & Peeke should be exempt but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In all these proposed deals you have to keep in mind the upcoming expansion draft. I think Sarad needs to be gone so we can protect Murray. Gav & Peeke should be exempt but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Per CapFriendly, Gavrikov is not exempt. I'm not entirely sure why.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The Jackets traded down from pick #81 in the 2019 NHL draft. They received two 4th round picks.

The Panthers selected Cole Schwindt who has 40 points in 37 games in the OHL this year.

The Jackets then picked Eric Hjorth and Dmitri Voronkov with the picks obtained from Florida.

This will be an interesting trade to watch over time. Granted we don’t know who the Jackets would have picked if they didn’t trade down. Voronkov is doing ok in the World Juniors. Hjorth has 22 points in 36 games in the OHL this year which is in the top 20 for defensemen.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Per CapFriendly, Gavrikov is not exempt. I'm not entirely sure why.

Because he's projected to have played more than two professional seasons by June 2021 -> the playoffs last year (if they count?), '19-'20, and '20-'21. He will technically be a "third year pro," right?

If so, we have to expose or protect him because he got *two* games against Boston last May. Jarmo really did go all in on the 2019 postseason lmao.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because he's projected to have played more than two professional seasons by June 2021 -> the playoffs last year (if they count?), '19-'20, and '20-'21. He will technically be a "third year pro," right?

If so, we have to expose or protect him because he got *two* games against Boston last May. Jarmo really did go all in on the 2019 postseason lmao.
I don't think that's it, because Texier was similarly used, and he's listed as exempt.

EDIT: On further review, it looks like this might have to do with participation in non-NHL leagues. Texier's play in the Liiga last year doesn't count because he was 19 (18 and 19 year olds only add a pro year of experience if they're in the NHL), but Gavrikov's play in the KHL counts because he was 23. That said, I had thought that the KHL didn't count as a "professional league" due to the lack of a player transfer agreement, so IDKWTF.

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I don't think that's it, because Texier was similarly used, and he's listed as exempt.

EDIT: On further review, it looks like this might have to do with participation in non-NHL leagues. Texier's play in the Liiga last year doesn't count because he was 19 (18 and 19 year olds only add a pro year of experience if they're in the NHL), but Gavrikov's play in the KHL counts because he was 23. That said, I had thought that the KHL didn't count as a "professional league" due to the lack of a player transfer agreement, so IDKWTF.

Is Texier exempt? I thought one of the big concerns with putting him back in the lineup for game 6 was that it’d cost him a year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Is Texier exempt? I thought one of the big concerns with putting him back in the lineup for game 6 was that it’d cost him a year.

I...*think* he is, based on signing his ELC at 19. But yeah, the rules around the Expansion Draft are pretty....loose, let's say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad