The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't want to say Z is untouchable, but unless we are getting some young super stud like Elias Petterssen it isn't something we should even think about IMO.
I suspect that's what most folks are hoping/expecting when they suggest a Werenski trade. That it's less "we should trade him for Any Worthy Forward" and more a misapprehension as to how difficult it is to get the sort of return that would warrant trading him in the first place.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I suspect that's what most folks are hoping/expecting when they suggest a Werenski trade. That it's less "we should trade him for Any Worthy Forward" and more a misapprehension as to how difficult it is to get the sort of return that would warrant trading him in the first place.
Kinda like how we got Panarin, or Jones. Except ZW is more valuable than any of the pieces we sent away in both of those trades.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree. Just suggesting that it might be easier when we have a very valuable piece.
I can live with that so long as people keep their focus on "we're hoping for an opportunity and ready to move" rather than losing the plot and instead focusing on "trade Werenski". Because the latter is the sort of thing that leads to regrets and frustration. :)

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
You're not wrong (about Jones) but that still doesn't mean we should trade Werenski. I know what type of forward people are wanting for him, and that's one near Panarin level or the potential to get there. The bottom line is, those players don't get moved, and neither do players like Werenski. Jones-Johansen deal was a complete anomaly. How many times has this happened since then of this magnitude? Sure, we've seen players dealing players from a position of strength in order to get better at a position of weakness, but nothing of that order.

Dean Kukan is a fine player. But I am getting the sense he is starting to get pretty overrated here, especially offensively. He's a fine player for his current role, a third pairing guy who can fill in around the lineup. Dean Kukan's offensive upside doesn't even scratch Werenski's floor. Very few defenseman around the league compare as well to Werenski offensively, and those that do are the very best in the NHL, including his partner Jones. Having two top blue liners is great.

Nashville had tons of defensemen, and you never saw them consider trading Weber (in his prime), Suter, or Josi even though they had an extreme need for scoring. They filled that need in over time.

We're not one piece away from contending. We're multiple (at least two?) high end offensive pieces away. We can get one with a top draft pick, and the other we can hope to come from within with either Texier, Bemstrom, Bjorkstrand, or at the very worst case scenario, another draft pick.

I don't want to say Z is untouchable, but unless we are getting some young super stud like Elias Petterssen it isn't something we should even think about IMO.

I don’t think you and I are too far off. Again, all I’m saying is it should be explored. If no one is willing to bite, there shouldn’t be a trade just to make a trade or to shake things up or because we’re desperate.

It is true, however, something has to give defensively. I don’t know what. Maybe if we’re out of it at the TDL, the answer is to trade Savard for a 1st (maybe a 1st+?)which will hopefully be able to turn into that offensive piece. But it’s just poor asset management to not (at some point) move a D for help elsewhere.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Anthony Duclair is now 8th in the league in goal scoring.

Would be nice if any of the local media bothered to hold Jarmo (and Torts) accountable.

Reactions: Cowumbus

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Ok. But teams under his tenure went to 3 consecutive playoffs, more than any other GM Columbus has had. If this talent is so marginal, why is everyone complaining that they aren't being used properly?

Being better than MacLean and Howson doesn't give him a free pass. He should be called out for assembling one of the worst collections of forwards in the league.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I'm not giving him a free pass. This is the first year of adversity. I just think these guys should get a chance to fix it. Torts and Jarmo may not be the answer, but they deserve to get a chance to fix what is wrong. If things don't improve next year, then they should probably make changes, but not this year. Jarmo is definitely under pressure to make moves this offseason, he has earned the chance to retool. The way you find out if your GM is worth anything is how they react during a down year after some success and if they can recover.

Reactions: koteka
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Typically when a team performs like this, either the coach or GM lose their job. If it goes this way, is it Jarmo or Tortorella?

I'm a bit concerned that Mike Priest could be making decisions about hockey operations. Do they want him hiring a GM??? Maybe JD is a bigger loss than we realized?

puckfan64

May 4, 2007
C-bus
It would emphasize what a marginal judge of offensive talent Jarmo has turned out to be.

Other "marginal judges of offensive talent" Anthony Duclair has played for in his 5-year career:
2014-15 - Alain Vigneault (coach), Glenn Sather (GM) - NYR
2015-18 - Dave Tippett/Rick Tocchet (coach), Don Maloney/John Chayka (GM) - Arizona
2018 - Joel Quenneville (coach), Stan Bowman (GM) - Chicago

Reactions: koteka and thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ignoring the terrible decision making on Merzlikins and Wennberg, what do/did people expect Jarmo to do and say in regards to Bemstrom and Texier during the summer and into this year?

Also, ignoring your OWN expectations, based on what Jarmo said (or supposedly felt) what would you consider "acceptable" in regards to both guys YOUNG NHL career so far?

Thanks in advance.

Fire Jarmo!! :whatever:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ignoring the terrible decision making on Merzlikins and Wennberg, what do/did people expect Jarmo to do and say in regards to Bemstrom and Texier during the summer and into this year?

Also, ignoring your OWN expectations, based on what Jarmo said (or supposedly felt) what would you consider "acceptable" in regards to both guys YOUNG NHL career so far?

Thanks in advance.

Fire Jarmo!! :whatever:

Simple, and an answer he has given many times before when talking about young players.

“we expect them (Texier and Bemstrom) to compete for a roster spot. If they prove themselves to be two of the best 12 players we have, then we have a spot for them.”

Not

“we expect them to not only make the team, but make a significant impression on the team. Texier has played as a pro for years and has proven that he is ready for big time hockey and playing well against men. Bemstrom scored (x amount) of goals against men last year and we expect him to do that for us this year.”

Their production is pretty standard production for rookies, but the amount of hype thrown their way by our management team was dooming them, and setting them up for failure. The expectations were way too high.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Simple, and an answer he has given many times before when talking about young players.

“we expect them (Texier and Bemstrom) to compete for a roster spot. If they prove themselves to be two of the best 12 players we have, then we have a spot for them.”

Not

“we expect them to not only make the team, but make a significant impression on the team. Texier has played as a pro for years and has proven that he is ready for big time hockey and playing well against men. Bemstrom scored (x amount) of goals against men last year and we expect him to do that for us this year.”

Their production is pretty standard production for rookies, but the amount of hype thrown their way by our management team was dooming them, and setting them up for failure. The expectations were way too high.

I've said it before and I'm sure others have as well. If you are relying on unproven rookies to contribute heavily, you are asking for trouble.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jarmo was asking for trouble. And if you have a GM who is relying upon rookies, you do not have a very good GM. We do not have a very good GM.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
JK isn't going to get any awards with how he's handled the goal tending situation. Obviously things are a bit of a mess right now. He kind of needs to take ownership.

I don't see how this team gets back in the playoff race this season. It's probably time to start looking forward and not try and salvage this season.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
JK isn't going to get any awards with how he's handled the goal tending situation. Obviously things are a bit of a mess right now. He kind of needs to take ownership.

I don't see how this team gets back in the playoff race this season. It's probably time to start looking forward and not try and salvage this season.

Just wait we will snap off like 8 in a row in February just to take ourselves into the 11-13th picking range instead of top 7-8 pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad