The Jarmo Report Card Part Deux or How About that Nathan Horton Fiasco

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It would have been Portzline, and something he reported probably several months after the initial expansion draft reporting. Initially it wasn't publicly known exactly which of the draft picks was for taking Karlsson and which was for taking Clarkson. From Vegas' other deals you could surmise that Clarkson cost about a 1st, and Karlsson therefore cost about a 2nd.

What if.... the "value" of these 2 players was ABOUT a 1st and ABOUT a 2nd, and the combining of both players into one trade is what "evened" up the overall "value"??

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What if.... the "value" of these 2 players was ABOUT a 1st and ABOUT a 2nd, and the combining of both players into one trade is what "evened" up the overall "value"??

Okay, sure. I don't think that's what Portzline reported, but I could imagine.

But think about the agenda here. Cyclones and some others, maybe you, are trying to insinuate that the Horton/Clarkson debacle is why we lost out on Karlsson, the great 40 goal 1C. Among other reasons why this is wrong, we paid them to take Karlsson! We didn't pay them Karlsson in order that they would accept Clarkson. We paid them to take Clarkson AND we paid them to take Karlsson in the expansion draft.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, sure. I don't think that's what Portzline reported, but I could imagine.

But think about the agenda here. Cyclones and some others, maybe you, are trying to insinuate that the Horton/Clarkson debacle is why we lost out on Karlsson, the great 40 goal 1C. Among other reasons why this is wrong, we paid them to take Karlsson! We didn't pay them Karlsson in order that they would accept Clarkson. We paid them to take Clarkson AND we paid them to take Karlsson in the expansion draft.
That's exactly the point they're trying to make, tho - that this FO is so hopelessly incompetent that we paid to give up a #1C.

All you need is a little twist of perspective, and suddenly the completely absurd makes ferpect cents.

Reactions: mikeyp24

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

To be clear none of us saw much in Wild Bill - but we're not the guys paid to evaluate players. That's the guys who work for the CBJ and work for Vegas are paid to do. Do any of us really think Vegas saw a 40 goal scorer in year one, probably not. But they saw something, which is what Columbus didn't see.

This deal with Vegas in particular summarizes why Jarmo has a lot of work to do. He makes a deal to trade a horrible contract and chooses to protect 3 guys who are all ok players (one for Pittsburgh who we let walk, one as a backup goalie and one as a bottom 6 forward), gives up 2 premium draft picks and a guy who scored 40 goals.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To be clear none of us saw much in Wild Bill - but we're not the guys paid to evaluate players. That's the guys who work for the CBJ and work for Vegas are paid to do. Do any of us really think Vegas saw a 40 goal scorer in year one, probably not. But they saw something, which is what Columbus didn't see.

I'm not sure if Vegas saw anything. Karlsson was a solid 3rd line C for the Jackets coming off a horrendous goal drought. He was Vegas' 4th line center at the start of their season.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm not sure if Vegas saw anything. Karlsson was a solid 3rd line C for the Jackets coming off a horrendous goal drought. He was Vegas' 4th line center at the start of their season.
Vegas had 6-7 guys to choose from (from list excluding JJ, Anderson, Korpi). Maybe it was blind luck they settled on Wild Bill or maybe Bill was the best of the lot they could pick from.
Maybe it was blind luck that they made the finals.
Or maybe they are pretty smart. My money is they are pretty smart.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Vegas was trying to trade away Karlsson before their season started. They lucked out.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Vegas had 6-7 guys to choose from (from list excluding JJ, Anderson, Korpi). Maybe it was blind luck they settled on Wild Bill or maybe Bill was the best of the lot they could pick from.
Maybe it was blind luck that they made the finals.
Or maybe they are pretty smart. My money is they are pretty smart.

I remember thinking Karlsson is the obvious pick if they couldn't take Anderson or Korpisalo. Calvert was older, who else was even exposed?

They made some mistakes in the expansion draft. They took too many bad D-men, that they thought they could flip but got stuck with them. Luca Sbisa was horrible. Their plan was not to immediately contend, but they drafted a lot of 25-27 year old guys who could skate, and Gallant deserves a ton of credit.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad