The Jack Johnson effect - Maybe he is as bad as Pens fans say

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Thing is, Sullivan will sit Riikola or Petterssen, not JJ.

The best thing that could happen to the Pens now is JJ breaking a bone or something. That's the only way he'll sit.

I know those feels.

The Blackhawks won a cup in 2015 in large part because Rozsival broke his ankle and Q couldn't play a #5 dman (at best) 15+ minutes a game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
These people you speak of also have a bunch of fancy stats that prove some of the best players in the league, like Erik Karlsson, aren't actually very good hockey players.

If the NHL was suddenly overrun by people who share the same sentiments as the HF braintrust, the league would crash and burn.

I haven't seen a single stat that demonstrates Karlsson is anything other than excellent.

Roman Josi? Sure, there's a divisive player.

Karlsson? No.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
well hopefully for the pens once justin schultz is back johnson is the guy bumped off the ice because of it

hahaha of course not, jack johnson is invulnerable to the consequences of being terrible. somehow, there he is, out on the ice all the time regardless. averaging 22:37 per game his career

somehow

regardless

he's actually averaging the least ice time of his career this season with the pens (18:56)

so he's upped his incompetence to compensate i guess

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Man, every time I see Jack Johnson's name it makes me sad. I just can't get my head around how parents could steal from their own kid. Mind boggling.

Do some reading on what it means to be a sociopath.

I was the same as you, I had such great parents it seemed like these people didn't exist. Until I married my awesome wife and got to know her parents.

If they are ever questioned on anything they spin it in ways that are hard to comprehend. Blows my mind. Thank god she is not like them.

My take on all this, is it possible that big defencemen are such a hot and rare commodity that they are given much more rope than forwards? Also perhaps the arrogance of some teams management makes them think that "under their structure" the player will be better? I mean the Pens turned Schultz from a laughing stock into a decent player.

I mean if Phaneuf, Girardi and Gudbranson were forwards they would all be in the AHL right now for life.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He used to have decent offensive instincts and shot, but was god awful in his own zone and defensively. His solution to everything was to try to run at players and push them around with strength but they would just agilely skate around him and make a play.

He honestly didn't know what to do after his speed and strength weren't enough... He just couldn't think the game anymore, he had all of the tools but no toolbox.

Obviously, he was a mercy signing. He is one of the saddest stories in the sport with his parents and his bankruptcy, and he is Crosby's best friend growing up and always wanted to play with him. Sid had everything to do with him being signed.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Because GMs are stupid and aren't as analytically driven as fans are. I think it's really easy to understand how it happens, because a majority of GMs trust the eye test more than analytics. It's not like JR had a senile moment and was the only guy to offer anything to Johnson.

Look at what GMs are in the NHL today, I would say there are 3x-4x as many GMs who were GMs in the 1990s than GMs who joined after the analytics boom in hockey. It's not surprising that these things happen all of the time in the NHL when you consider that JR, Murray, Holland, Lamoriello, Bowman, Poile, Wilson and Armstrong are GMs in the NHL today.

Want to know why guys like Staal, Gudbranson, Daley, Girardi (both pre and post buyout), Johnson, Scuderi, McQuaid, Polak and Phaneuf are still around/stayed around way longer than they should have? Because most GMs don't use the stats that fans use to show that these guys suck.

Oh yeah, he has done a really terrible job with winning 2 cups for the Penguins.
Stuff like this is what’s wrong with the analytics crowd. Don’t get me wrong, analytics are a big part of hockey, but to think you or other fans are smarter than GMs or other fans because you think you use the right analytics is a crock. GMs are smarter and have more infortmation than you, deal with it. Mistakes will always be made, look at baseball for example, a sport where the actual analytics are much more advanced than in hockey, and just recently have the GMs stopped giving out albatross contracts, but mistakes will still be made.
So no, you are not smarter than NHL GMs or the average NHL fan even, just because you look at the odd graph or spread sheet. Hockey clubs have more and better numbers than you, and they still get it wrong all the time.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So basically the guys on that list that have a positive number with him on the ice are mostly the crash the net gritty goal types... he doesn’t translate to the finess style and his best attributes are already mirrored by other pens defensemen... just a real bad fit for this team

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out why someone thought it was a good idea to sign a 32 year old who was a healthy scratch for last years playoffs to a 5 year contract.

Don't worry, we've been trying to figure that out too. No luck, so far.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
he's actually averaging the least ice time of his career this season with the pens (18:56)

so he's upped his incompetence to compensate i guess
This is a consistent theme for Johnson. He plays best when he gets a ton of TOI. At his best he is a decent 2nd pairing guy. Not what you want playing top pairing minutes. But as he gets moved down the lineup and gets fewer minutes he gets worse. For JJ it is either #3/4 defenseman getting #1 minutes or a #6/7/8 guy getting less.

Happened in LA when Doughty established himself as the clear cut #1. Happened in Columbus after Jackets began to rely more on Jones/Werenski/Murray.

Reactions: Viqsi

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
you can imagine if Pens Jackets play in the playoffs and JJ is a healthy scratch.

Im sure Torts will have something to say about that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Who stole more money, Jack's parents from him or Jack from NHL GM's? ;)

Okay, now I feel like a dick....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad