The Jack Johnson effect - Maybe he is as bad as Pens fans say

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wish there was hearing committees for NHL GMs like there is for politicians.

I want an NHL GM or 3 to honestly answer why they think JJ is a good NHL D. JJ has fooled 2-3 NHL GMs (and all of those Gms support staff). JJs very poor underlying metrics have been front and center to almost everyone since 2014. Its incredible error in judgement to give him that contract. But what the hell are NHL GMs thinking

Count me in the crowd that thinks most NHL GMs are incredibly overrated

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He's a monster in the playoffs. 21 points in 23 games. He has never been past the first round though.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
These people you speak of also have a bunch of fancy stats that prove some of the best players in the league, like Erik Karlsson, aren't actually very good hockey players.

If the NHL was suddenly overrun by people who share the same sentiments as the HF braintrust, the league would crash and burn.

I want to see these "fancy" stats right now! because I believe you are just spreading BS

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Few things in life make me happier than threads that put into words and numbers how crappy some players are. Especially the ones that keep fooling GMs into thinking they are NHL-caliber. The guy sucks and is a perfect example of how NHL GMs will in some ways never learn.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Honestly I'm glad that J Johnson got paid given his personal situation. I'm also ecstatic that he got a 5-year deal from the Pens so the Wings GM wouldn't give him a similarly bad deal and throw in a NTC.

All the way back to his days in LA Johnson has been a "lot of tools, no toolbox" guy.

Those tools are gone too.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I was cautiously optimistic before the season. Sure JJ's last few years were a bit rough. But sometimes players just need a fresh start and can be effective.

Alas, it was not meant to be. He's f***ing awful. In almost every aspect. He have one good game then 5 absolute stinkers.

Only a handful more years though.

I just threw up in my mouth.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I want to see these "fancy" stats right now! because I believe you are just spreading BS
I think the sarcasm was missed. There's threads and posts all over this place where someone has a bunch of stats showing that player X really isn't as good as everyone thinks. EK was just one of the more absurd examples I saw earlier this season. Again I was just refuting the implication that a good chunk of HF posters could successfully run franchises better than the people currently employed to do so.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think the sarcasm was missed. There's threads and posts all over this place where someone has a bunch of stats showing that player X really isn't as good as everyone thinks. EK was just one of the more absurd examples I saw earlier this season. Again I was just refuting the implication that a good chunk of HF posters could successfully run franchises better than the people currently employed to do so.

Okay, but even speaking statistically, you experiencing a handful of amateurs interpreting their numbers incorrectly does nothing to dismiss the point about the value of analytics. Beyond that, pretty sure the implication was that most posters here wouldn't have been stupid enough to offer Jack Johnson a five year contract, and could put together a decent presentation to that effect. That's a one-time decision, not prolonged time with the franchise's day-to-day operation. You're arguing to argue.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I'm still trying to figure out why someone thought it was a good idea to sign a 32 year old who was a healthy scratch for last years playoffs to a 5 year contract.

He watched Bergevin a season earlier, sign a slightly younger guy who was a healthy scratch in that year's playoffs to a 5 year contract

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He watched Bergevin a season earlier, sign a slightly younger guy who was a healthy scratch in that year's playoffs to a 5 year contract
Alzner wasn’t a healthy scratch in the playoffs, he had a broken hand.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
With Schultz back soon and Riikola continuing to play well, Johnson should honestly be not dressed during the stretch run and playoffs.

Penguins have Dmen that are playing much better than him but somehow he is still getting the 3rd most ice time by Dmen.

Had a shaky first tonight but looked good the second and third. First time I could say that in awhile.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Okay, but even speaking statistically, you experiencing a handful of amateurs interpreting their numbers incorrectly does nothing to dismiss the point about the value of analytics. Beyond that, pretty sure the implication was that most posters here wouldn't have been stupid enough to offer Jack Johnson a five year contract, and could put together a decent presentation to that effect. That's a one-time decision, not prolonged time with the franchise's day-to-day operation. You're arguing to argue.
I'm not arguing with anyone about anything. The post I originally quoted said that most GM's in the league are stupid because they don't use stats like fans do. I simply said if the general HF braintrust was running franchises, shit would fall apart.

It's easy to say so and so is an idiot for doing whatever. Its another thing to have absolutely no knowledge of or about anyone involved in said dealings. Do bad contracts happen? Of course. Do regular people get hired on for jobs that are far better than their qualifications should allow for? Of course. This odd sentiment around here that the vast majority of GM's in the NHL are mostly stupid people that could be doing so much better on the ice if they'd just do blah blah blah is interesting to me, that's all. Its easy to say you'd do something a better way when you remove all context, and weren't even in the know in any sort of regard to begin with.

I'm sure it's a safe bet that a lot of head scratching moves that get made in professional sports are all at least partially motivated by circumstances nobody is privy to.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Man, everyone knew he was garbage 3 years ago, if not longer.

When it was rumored that Montreal.had heavy interest in him, kr were favourites to sign him I was scared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad