The Jack Johnson effect - Maybe he is as bad as Pens fans say

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s Crosby’s childhood friend, so I assume Crosby was his cheerleader.

It was an inexcusable and awful signing. JR has botched the last 2 off-seasons. He regressed back to his old self.

Reactions: gab6511 and Telos

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
giphy.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He’s Crosby’s childhood friend, so I assume Crosby was his cheerleader.

It was an inexcusable and awful signing. JR has botched the last 2 off-seasons. He regressed back to his old self.

Looking at that chart posted earlier, Crosby feels the effect more than damn near anyone else on the team. He's dragging him down! :laugh:

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Yeah he is Crosby's friend and he probably felt bad for him because JJ's parents stole all his money. And yeah, he f***ing sucks ass. A paralyzed traffic cone would be more useful than him.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There are hundreds of HFBoards users who, presumably with zero qualification and utilising publicly available information, could have walked up to Rutherford and put up a demonstration as to why Jack Johnson should not have been offered any contract.

It boggles my mind how this shit can happen.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Even if Crosby wanted Johnson on his team did it have to be for 5 years ? Wasn't a 2 or 3 year deal getting it done as well ? The guy was already 31 when he was signed.

Couldn't agree with you more. I think it's because JJ's parents stole all his money and Crosby wanted his friend to have a financially secure future.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Easily JR's worst signing since joining Pittsburgh.

I wasn't as harshly against the signing initially as everyone else. I'm usually of the mind-set that even a struggling player deserves a chance to prove themselves.

JJ has proven to be a mistake (so far), I'm not saying he can't work himself into a productive role in the Penguins defense core, but at this point, it's not looking promising.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are hundreds of HFBoards users who, presumably with zero qualification and utilising publicly available information, could have walked up to Rutherford and put up a demonstration as to why Jack Johnson should not have been offered any contract.

It boggles my mind how this **** can happen.

Because GMs are stupid and aren't as analytically driven as fans are. I think it's really easy to understand how it happens, because a majority of GMs trust the eye test more than analytics. It's not like JR had a senile moment and was the only guy to offer anything to Johnson.

Look at what GMs are in the NHL today, I would say there are 3x-4x as many GMs who were GMs in the 1990s than GMs who joined after the analytics boom in hockey. It's not surprising that these things happen all of the time in the NHL when you consider that JR, Murray, Holland, Lamoriello, Bowman, Poile, Wilson and Armstrong are GMs in the NHL today.

Want to know why guys like Staal, Gudbranson, Daley, Girardi (both pre and post buyout), Johnson, Scuderi, McQuaid, Polak and Phaneuf are still around/stayed around way longer than they should have? Because most GMs don't use the stats that fans use to show that these guys suck.

Old JR on display once again <3.

Oh yeah, he has done a really terrible job with winning 2 cups for the Penguins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goose

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Because GMs are stupid and aren't as analytically driven as fans are. I think it's really easy to understand how it happens, because a majority of GMs trust the eye test more than analytics. It's not like JR had a senile moment and was the only guy to offer anything to Johnson.

Look at what GMs are in the NHL today, I would say there are 3x-4x as many GMs who were GMs in the 1990s than GMs who joined after the analytics boom in hockey. It's not surprising that these things happen all of the time in the NHL when you consider that JR, Murray, Holland, Lamoriello, Bowman, Poile, Wilson and Armstrong are GMs in the NHL today.

Oh yeah, he has done a really terrible job with winning 2 cups for the Penguins.
What message is that argument supposed to convey? That the majority of GMs are deliberately being inefficient at their jobs?

The human eye cannot, I repeat, cannot outdo the good analytics can provide. If a GM does not utilise analytics, they should be fired on the spot, and if they do, catastrophes like this would not happen.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You can't work IQ. He's not struggling because of his effort or attitude.
Maybe they can get him with a partner who helps to complement his game, or just try to work with him on positioning or something. I'm just saying I'm not ready to write him off entirely at this point. Sergei Gonchar has done a lot with a number of defensemen in Pittsburgh.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You can't work IQ. He's not struggling because of his effort or attitude.
Maybe they can get him with a partner who helps to complement his game, or just try to work with him on positioning or something. I'm just saying I'm not ready to write him off entirely at this point. Sergei Gonchar has done a lot with a number of defensemen in Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What message is that argument supposed to convey? That the majority of GMs are deliberately being inefficient at their jobs?

The human eye cannot, I repeat, cannot outdo the good analytics can provide. If a GM does not utilise analytics, they should be fired on the spot, and if they do, catastrophes like this would not happen.

Yeah, pretty much. That's exactly what I'm saying. You think the eye test can't outdo analytics, but you're not a GM. You're a fan. Based on bad analytics guys continuing to get big contracts, I'm willing to bet that they don't lean as heavily on analytics as fans do.

If terrible analytics players continuously get huge contracts from a ton of teams all throughout the league, that either tells you that GMs don't put much stock into analytics or a ton of GMs are idiots. Johnson is not the first physical player with horrible analytics to get a bad contract, and he sure won't be the last. It's really obvious that old school GMs don't value analytics as much as they value the eye test, and there are a lot more old school GMs in the NHL today than new GMs.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly I'm glad that J Johnson got paid given his personal situation. I'm also ecstatic that he got a 5-year deal from the Pens so the Wings GM wouldn't give him a similarly bad deal and throw in a NTC.

All the way back to his days in LA Johnson has been a "lot of tools, no toolbox" guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->