The issue with KHL - weak teams are not compensated

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The draft system in KHL was something, that should work like in NHL. But it was a big big bust. And there is problem. The weak teams are destined to stay weak. They are not compensated in any form, to help them make a competitive team. In NHL it works. But hockey in Europe has his own rules. The government of KHL should bring something, that will address this issue.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The draft system in KHL was something, that should work like in NHL. But it was a big big bust. And there is problem. The weak teams are destined to stay weak. They are not compensated in any form, to help them make a competitive team. In NHL it works. But hockey in Europe has his own rules. The government of KHL should bring something, that will address this issue.

I do agree.

However, you find a lot of the time in Europe that a weak team is weak because it's mismanaged or the owners just don't care enough - they make enough to cover costs and they are happy. So in that sense why should a well managed team have to fund the one's who couldn't care less? It'd be an easy ride for them.

But something should be put in place to make the league more competitive, yes.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
All systems based on the rich compensating the weak are destined to fail. Weaker teams don't need compensation but equal footing to grow, which requires some structural changes to the league and the way organizations are run.

Draft system comes to my mind first but it is not an easy system to implement. You need a good network of scouts and loads of talents to make it viable. I mean, what's the point of having the first pick when you can't even judge how good the players are or if even the top pick doesn't have potential to break into top 6? With that, you would also need a hard salary cap, which is what KHL doesn't seem to be wanting for at least now - because when you limit the amount of money SKA can pay to its players, it is very likely that many top players will choose somewhere else other than Russia since the main advantage KHL provides (huge salaries) is basically gone. Not an easy problem to solve.

Not sure how to solve problems but I'm sure that compensating weak teams is not the way to go... This only makes them even lazier and more static, essentially dependent on rich teams to exist. Self-sufficiency is key here yet I'm not sure how many Russians can keep up with such an understanding when ticket prices are so low and marketing is pretty poor. It is so damn difficult for an organization like Yugra to be competitive and profitable at the same time. Maybe cutting some teams will partially solve this problem. It may look pretty dumb or too simple at first glance but why bother existing if you have no means to do it? Just cut poor teams and let the ones who can take care of themselves compete.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is a tradition of European sport leagues, you has always had rich & poor teams. Even in such a league like EPL.

I hope there will be done something in the KHL to reach more parity.

If a poor club wants to earn extra money, the club can sell its prospects for solid money. It works somehow in KHL´s system, but the problem is when a prospects moving to NA junior/senior leagues (CHL, NHL). No compensation for Russian clubs, European clubs getting pennies which is pretty sad. That is one of reasons why European (& worldwide) hockey is in such a bad condition, because all top prospects moving to NHL & European clubs getting close to zero compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad