The Isles shootout lineup

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
JT is one of the best offensive players in the world. He may not be as good as Vanek or Nielsen on the shootout, but he sure as hell beats any other option available

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Maybe Bailey should be used for the shootout. At the very least, he would be finally forced to shoot the puck.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Thank you.

Whether you know it or not, you now agree with me regarding JT's ability to bury pucks close in. He's not a sniper, hes a worker.

Agreed. Saw the stat the other day and he is now, what -- 1 for 7 on the shootout? NEEXXTTTT!!!
For sure. The ability to score goals at this level requires one or more special skill. A great shot, a quick release, a hard shot, great accuracy do not insure that a play produce results that are remarkable. JT was a remarkable goal scorer at every level of competition up to the NHL level, where he has been good, but not exceptional. He has a good shot but it is not overpowering or especially quick. The further he is from the hash marks the less likely he beats a goalie, and the drop off is steep. He can not execute a onetime and does not have a strong or accurate snapshot. What drives me nuts is his insistence to shoot over the blocker but not shoot top shelf.
If this sounds like a complaint or rant about JT it isn't, it is a statement based on observation of every game he has played since he first put on the uni. I love JT, love his ugh end vision, playmaking, hockey awareness. But he is no sniper, not even clutch. He should be better on the shoot out but what ails him there is what will limit him to a 30-40 goal scorer instead of a 40-50 goal scorer unless he fixes some things.
We could sure use him on the shoot out right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad