Movies: The Iron Claw (biopic about the Von Erich wrestling family)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Any interest here in this? I always thought the Von Erich family story would make a good movie. The early reviews have been positive. There haven't really been any good wrestling movies aside from All The Marbles and The Wrestler, so I'm hoping this turns out well

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've been avoiding trailers since I know I'm going to go see it no matter what. Really looking forward to it.

The Wrestler was incredible, I also attending the filming of the main event for the 2 nights they shot of it at ROH shows at the Baker Theater in NJ so I'm in the crowd somewhere during the main event. It's funny cause it looked like absolute shit live but movie magic made it look incredible lol

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yep, I've been keeping tabs on this and will definitely check it out.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I thought it was alright. Not Oscar-worthy, but kept me interested. The lady I went with found it depressing, but that was unavoidable considering the subject matter. I probably would have liked it more if I wasn't a wrestling fan familiar with the story, because all the expected inaccuracies wouldn't have bugged me.

And I can't stress this enough, but the actor portraying Ric Flair was so bad, it nearly ruined the whole film for me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought it was alright. Not Oscar-worthy, but kept me interested. The lady I went with found it depressing, but that was unavoidable considering the subject matter. I probably would have liked it more if I wasn't a wrestling fan familiar with the story, because all the expected inaccuracies wouldn't have bugged me.

And I can't stress this enough, but the actor portraying Ric Flair was so bad, it nearly ruined the whole film for me.

From the last movie thread:

I just checked this one out and mostly enjoyed it. The pacing was a bit off at times, and some time jumps created holes where there could've been more tension built up. Thought they did a pretty good job acting-wise but it certainly didn't blow me away. Holt McCallany and Maura Tierney as the parents were the two best I thought. Efron looking like he juiced up for this role really took me out of it at times, and I know that might sound silly given it's a movie about wrestling. The impersonation of Ric Flair was also rather disappointing.

I'd give it a 7/10 because I thought the story was interesting but wouldn't argue a 6/10. It's in that ballpark for sure. A movie you can watch but I don't think I'll ever have a desire to re-watch it in any capacity.

As someone who knew nothing about it before seeing it, the story is incredibly depressing so be aware of that.

Couldn't agree more about Ric Flair. It was worse than something you'd see on a youtube video of someone pretending to be him in their backyard.

Reactions: reckoning

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I thought the movie was well done besides the Flair part too.

This has to be one of the few movies where the real story is actually downplayed as it's even sadder and more depressing than the movie. They had another son Chris who committed suicide and Fitz was a bigger piece of shit in real life. They portrayed him as one in the movie but he was really so much worse in real life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad