Prospect Info: The Infantile 2020 Draft Thread

Magically, these 4 prospects are available at 14th. Who do you want?

• Jack Quinn

• Anton Lundell

• Yaroslav Askarov

• Seth Jarvis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Guhle isn't as huge of a reach as people would think. He's ranked 14th on Bob McKenzies list right where Edmonton drafts.

Not saying I have him that high but it shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

Same with Holloway he is ranked 16th.

Holloway might be the most powerful skater in the draft and probably the only forward in the 1st round that plays that power game. He definitely embodies that "passionate guy that wants to be the best he can be".

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Was it though? Yeah, Jack Hughes' draft+1 wasn't necessarily what you'd expect. Every other UNDSTP player in the 1st round had a good draft +1 in the NCAA. If all the players are trending well in the NCAA after leaving the program, was it overrated?

If producing at a PPG place (or damn near close) as a rookie in the NCAA isn't 'trending well' I don't know what is.

I just think people got way too overhyped by those players. It was all of them playing together. It's like a WJC team playing against division 2 teams. I don't have as much faith in it as everyone else

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just out of curiosity I took a look at Tyler Wright's 1st round draft record as director of amateur scouting over his two years in Columbus and six years in Detroit.

2012: Ryan Murray

Not much to it, consensus 2nd overall.

2013: Alexander Wennberg, Kerby Rychel & Marko Dano

In a vacuum I'd say these were decent picks but having 2/3 picks in the 1st round bust isn't great. Selected Rychel over Mantha/Burakovsky/Theodore.

2014: Dylan Larkin

Fantastic pick, nothing else to it.

2015: Yevgeni Svechnikov

Not a player I liked that year and I've been proven right so far, looks like a bust. Missed out on Boeser and Konecny, two guys I had ahead of Svechnikov on my list.

2016: Dennis Cholowski

Jury is still out on this one. The guys drafted behind him hasn't done much either.

2017: Michael Rasmussen

IMO pretty brutal to select Rasmussen when Vilardi was just sitting there. Necas and Suzuki would've likely been better picks as well.

2018: Filip Zadina

Picked the falling Zadina instead of Quinn Hughes (or Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson). Will be interesting to see how this one plays out but doesn't look great at the moment.

2019: Moritz Seider

By all accounts a pretty solid season in AHL. Too early to judge this pick but tracking pretty well I'd say.

Conclusion: In general his draft record in the 1st round looks a bit spotty to me. Definitely seem to prefer guys with size than taking someone who is smaller but more skilled. None of the guys he drafted here are under 6 feet tall, so that kind of worries me in regards to Jarvis/Quinn. In general the forwards he has drafted has been quite underwhelming outside of Larkin. I could definitely see the Oilers leaning towards someone like Holloway. Would fit his and Holland's M.O. of drafting bigger guys who are good skaters. I feel like it's more likely they draft a Holloway, Gunler or Amirov rather than a Jarvis, Quinn or Reichel but I hope I'm wrong.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Uhh, based on what exactly? And what do you mean played against weak teams? These guys play like half their season against NCAA teams (much tougher comp than juniors). Also not sure how you can argue they're overrated when their main guys Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, Turcotte, Knight all had good to great seasons.

Yes I know but it's also pretty much just the US WJC team against NCAA teams

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Guhle isn't as huge of a reach as people would think. He's ranked 14th on Bob McKenzies list right where Edmonton drafts.

Holloway might be the most powerful skater in the draft and probably the only forward in the 1st round that plays that power game. He definitely embodies that "passionate guy that wants to be the best he can be".

Normally I would agree, but Bob's list was a mess this year, IMO.

I'm not too surprised with what Wright said though. He really seems to learn towards that stuff over skill and smarts. His 2017 draft with the Red Wings might be the worst draft by any team in the modern era. He had eleven picks and picked about nine "competitive, defensively aware" guys who never even developed beyond 3rd/4th line or 3rd pairing status in junior.

Hopefully Kenny and Keith push him more towards some skill guys.

Reactions: McDoused

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yes I know but it's also pretty much just the US WJC team against NCAA teams

No it's not. The WJC age limit is 20. These guys were two years younger than that. They were also the first USNTDP team since the program's inception to have a winning record in the USHL in their 17 year old season IIRC. They were a special group, you really can't argue otherwise.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Yeah but we don't need Power Forward type players. We need skilled players on the wing

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I think you're 100% right. I'm scared :(

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
No it's not. The WJC age limit is 20. These guys were two years younger than that. They were also the first USNTDP team since the program's inception to have a winning record in the USHL in their 17 year old season IIRC. They were a special group, you really can't argue otherwise.
Well I hope I am wrong then

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That doesn't mean anything. It's BPA according to them, not according to consensus. They considered Broberg BPA last year when he was ranked much lower on respectable lists.

According to Wright's criteria, Guhle probably is the BPA haha.

I really hope we don't have another repeat of last draft. :(

Reactions: Zaddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->