Prospect Info: The Infantile 2020 Draft Thread

Magically, these 4 prospects are available at 14th. Who do you want?

• Jack Quinn

• Anton Lundell

• Yaroslav Askarov

• Seth Jarvis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
How'd they look?
I wrote this on the other thread:
I tuned in for the 2nd period of the Skelleftea AIK game, and Broberg looks massive. Like I'd say he's at least 6'4 or 6'5 now. He didn't have much opportunity to display his straight-line speed, but his skating looks fluid and is very noticeable. Defensively, he read passing lanes nicely and on two occasions that period intercepted a pass and took the puck the other way for a shot on net. His size was put to use as he separated opponents from the puck a couple of times. Broberg got some powerplay time as well and made a slick deke on the blue line before having his shot blocked.

Raphael Lavoie hasn't gotten much ice time and has yet to really catch my eye.

Reactions: McDoused

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I wrote this on the other thread:
Thanks a lot.

Yea, Broberg is listed at 6'3" in some databases, but recent articles mention him at 6'4". It would not surprise me if he ends up all said and done at 6'5". We talk about Nurse being that big, fast defenceman. When we use the words big and fast for a defencemen, we are usually envisioning Victor Hedman aren't we? Or Chris Pronger? Some gigantic, menacing defenceman who will punish you without the puck and skate past you with speed if he has the puck or make a deft play out of the zone.

Well, Broberg showed at camp this year that he has that rare ability to do both. Massive body, incredible speed (in my opinion he was the second fastest player on the ice after McDavid), and just so smooth in his game with his skating and shot. The kid has beautiful mechanics all around the ice which is a treat to watch on its own. Reminds me a lot of Jay Bouwmeester in how he moves around the ice. Let's hope he ends up a future Olympian as well. Let's also hope that ideally he ends up as more of an offensive threat.

It's not often you get to draft a defenceman who has absolutely elite skating and a near-elite shot. Add in the size and all we are waiting on is if he can solidify a true offensive game this year in the SHL. From what I gather he is being given every opportunity to do so on the top pairing and PP. If I am wrong please correct me.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks a lot.

Yea, Broberg is listed at 6'3" in some databases, but recent articles mention him at 6'4". It would not surprise me if he ends up all said and done at 6'5". We talk about Nurse being that big, fast defenceman. When we use the words big and fast for a defencemen, we are usually envisioning Victor Hedman aren't we? Or Chris Pronger? Some gigantic, menacing defenceman who will punish you without the puck and skate past you with speed if he has the puck or make a deft play out of the zone.

Well, Broberg showed at camp this year that he has that rare ability to do both. Massive body, incredible speed (in my opinion he was the second fastest player on the ice after McDavid), and just so smooth in his game with his skating and shot. The kid has beautiful mechanics all around the ice which is a treat to watch on its own. Reminds me a lot of Jay Bouwmeester in how he moves around the ice. Let's hope he ends up a future Olympian as well. Let's also hope that ideally he ends up as more of an offensive threat.

It's not often you get to draft a defenceman who has absolutely elite skating and a near-elite shot. Add in the size and all we are waiting on is if he can solidify a true offensive game this year in the SHL. From what I gather he is being given every opportunity to do so on the top pairing and PP. If I am wrong please correct me.

I've made the Bouwmeester comparison before in the past as well with Broberg. I think that's his comparable as well, his size and skating remind me so much of a young Jay Bouwmeester. If he ends up at that level we got a heck of a hockey player for our D core in the years to come.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Thanks a lot.

Is his shot actually near-elite though? Not necessarily arguing your point, I'm just unaware. His wrister seems pretty good. I don't doubt that he has a hard shot from the point, but can he place shots well? Hit the net?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Is his shot actually near-elite though? Not necessarily arguing your point, I'm just unaware. His wrister seems pretty good. I don't doubt that he has a hard shot from the point, but can he place shots well? Hit the net?
Yeah I’ve never heard that about his shot before. When I’ve watched him I’ve never noticed it as a strength.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah I’ve never heard that about his shot before. When I’ve watched him I’ve never noticed it as a strength.

From watching Hlinka hilights, his shot seemed weak to me. He scored a goal in scrimmage prior to bubble playoffs and it was really impressive. Really fluid motion with a snipe. I dunno if its elite but it’s much better than I originally thought.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
From watching Hlinka hilights, his shot seemed weak to me. He scored a goal in scrimmage prior to bubble playoffs and it was really impressive. Really fluid motion with a snipe. I dunno if its elite but it’s much better than I originally thought.
I think he has some power behind it but I’ve never noticed any consistency in his ability to get it on net or the ability to find the sweet spots on the ice to get open that all great scorers have. I didn’t watch him play at all this year though so I’m hoping he has taken some strides.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I've made the Bouwmeester comparison before in the past as well with Broberg. I think that's his comparable as well, his size and skating remind me so much of a young Jay Bouwmeester. If he ends up at that level we got a heck of a hockey player for our D core in the years to come.

That's impossible, we needed to draft Zegras and Holland doesn't have a clue what he's doing :sarcasm:

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's impossible, we needed to draft Zegras and Holland doesn't have a clue what he's doing :sarcasm:

That entire USNDTP was full of overrated players.

Broberg will have a 15+ year NHL career I am fairly certain of that. He has a very high floor. This kid will be an NHLer probably as soon as 2021-22 or halfway through that season.

I really like what I’ve heard from his development. His height/weight/speed ratio will be in the top 1 percentile. By all accounts he’s a high character kid and fully committing to being a professional. I’ve heard nothing but glowing reports about his commitment to being a good defender in his own zone which is priority number one for a D man in my opinion.

Will he be a #1? Unlikely but I’d bet on him without question being a top 4 D man who can play top pairing like a Jay Bouwmeester when needed.

Him and Bouchard should be tied at the hip going forward. I think Brobergs skating and puck transporting skills will make up for some of Bouchards flaws. While he doesn’t have the shot or passing ability/offensive IQ of Bouchard, he has other qualities that could make them an excellent match.

He’s a young 19 with a summer birthday playing top pairing in the SHL. Bro is trending in the right direction. He’s going to be a minute munching monster one day.

Reactions: nally

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Broberg will have a 15+ year NHL career I am fairly certain of that. He has a very high floor. This kid will be an NHLer probably as soon as 2021-22 or halfway through that season.

I really like what I’ve heard from his development. His height/weight/speed ratio will be in the top 1 percentile. By all accounts he’s a high character kid and fully committing to being a professional. I’ve heard nothing but glowing reports about his commitment to being a good defender in his own zone which is priority number one for a D man in my opinion.

Will he be a #1? Unlikely but I’d bet on him without question being a top 4 D man who can play top pairing like a Jay Bouwmeester when needed.

Him and Bouchard should be tied at the hip going forward. I think Brobergs skating and puck transporting skills will make up for some of Bouchards flaws. While he doesn’t have the shot or passing ability/offensive IQ of Bouchard, he has other qualities that could make them an excellent match.

He’s a young 19 with a summer birthday playing top pairing in the SHL. Bro is trending in the right direction. He’s going to be a minute munching monster one day.

Yea, I'm excited to see what happens

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yea, I'm excited to see what happens

Even our boy Samurai is doing well early in the KHL. He was a player of the week in the KHL, he hits and looks like a linebacker.

I strongly despise our present D core but I’m very bullish on our prospects and players coming up on D (including Bear and Jones).

As Oiler fans we legitimately have reason to be fairly giddy over our young D in the system. Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, and Berglund are all legitimate prospects.

Even with Bear and Jones graduating, we still have at worst a top 3 prospect pool for D men in the NHL.

Our forward pool on the other hand...

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Even our boy Samurai is doing well early in the KHL. He was a player of the week in the KHL, he hits and looks like a linebacker.

I strongly despise our present D core but I’m very bullish on our prospects and players coming up on D (including Bear and Jones).

As Oiler fans we legitimately have reason to be fairly giddy over our young D in the system. Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, and Berglund are all legitimate prospects.

Even with Bear and Jones graduating, we still have at worst a top 3 prospect pool for D men in the NHL.

Our forward pool on the other hand...

With McDavid, Draisaitl, and Yamamoto, we could use one more prospect that 'hits', then you round out the top 6 with complimentary guys. Lavoie & JP seem to have the best chances (who knows what happens with JP).

McLeod is being groomed for 3C, Benson seems like more of a middle-6 type. Everyone else is so far off.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Are people realizing now that the UNDSTP was overrated and just an all star team that played against weak teams?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
With McDavid, Draisaitl, and Yamamoto, we could use one more prospect that 'hits', then you round out the top 6 with complimentary guys. Lavoie & JP seem to have the best chances (who knows what happens with JP).

McLeod is being groomed for 3C, Benson seems like more of a middle-6 type. Everyone else is so far off.
Jarvis or Quinn

Reactions: snipes

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Everywhere else I look on HF teams have Mercer, Holloway and Zary ahead of Reichel. Not sure why we dont value the two way guys like other teams.
Drafting from the NCAA or QMJHL causes PTSD in Oiler fans. Drafting Germans does the opposite.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Are people realizing now that the UNDSTP was overrated and just an all star team that played against weak teams?

Was it though? Yeah, Jack Hughes' draft+1 wasn't necessarily what you'd expect. Every other UNDSTP player in the 1st round had a good draft +1 in the NCAA. If all the players are trending well in the NCAA after leaving the program, was it overrated?

If producing at a PPG place (or damn near close) as a rookie in the NCAA isn't 'trending well' I don't know what is.

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Uhh, based on what exactly? And what do you mean played against weak teams? These guys play like half their season against NCAA teams (much tougher comp than juniors). Also not sure how you can argue they're overrated when their main guys Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, Turcotte, Knight all had good to great seasons.

Reactions: CupofOil

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's here!

Just watching it now. What the hell is he doing at 2:59? Gains the zone, circles around without passing it off, skates out of the zone with the puck, dumps it in and changes. Talk about wasting a zone entry. He could've so easily passed it off to his defenseman who activates down the left side. This is like the perfect case-in-point of how lacking Byfield's in-zone offense can be. If I was his coach (or even his teammate on the ice) I'd be really frustrated with a play like that.

The more I watch him the more overrated I think he is. I think his movements in the offensive zone in general are very inefficient. He doesn't really know where to go without the puck or what to do with the puck on his stick when he's not on the rush. He can get away with it in juniors with his size and skating but he's going to have to learn how to make smarter plays and doing a better job of finding the best routes if he wants to be a productive NHL player. It's like night and day comparing him and Reichel.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Thought this was a really great interview with Tyler Wright (Director of Amateur Scouting).

Few points he mentioned:
  1. There is a good mix of players at 14OA (forwards, defense and goalie - probably alluding to Askarov)
  2. Likes to draft BPA. Teams need to be deep to be successful, and you can never have too many good players in one position.
  3. Opportunity to move up or down in the draft depending on what decisions are made after the playoffs are over (cited no second round pick specifically).
  4. Still undecided on which 3rd rounder they'll give up for Neal (2020 or 2021), says this decision will probably be made the day of or day before.
  5. After players are drafted, probably going to be video conferences to introduce them to the team. Going to be strange and different this year.
  6. If you as a scout have a player on your list, you're required to have a meeting with them and try to get to know them. They've done a lot of leg work and conference calls with many of the draftees already.
  7. No room for error and a lot of room for improvement on the team. Even if they only have a 1st and 5th round pick, they need to hit on them. <-- This is kind of obvious but I'm glad he addressed it.
  8. Lot of philosophy change after bringing in Holland. Want to prioritize speed, intensity, competitiveness, defensive awareness, big/fast defenders, scoring prowess etc.)

Number 8 specifically screams Seth Jarvis to me. He also did specifically mention the goalie position a couple of times which makes me think they've looked into Askarov as well.

Reactions: KYams17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Thought this was a really great interview with Tyler Wright (Director of Amateur Scouting).

Few points he mentioned:
  1. There is a good mix of players at 14OA (forwards, defense and goalie - probably alluding to Askarov)
  2. Likes to draft BPA. Teams need to be deep to be successful, and you can never have too many good players in one position.
  3. Opportunity to move up or down in the draft depending on what decisions are made after the playoffs are over (cited no second round pick specifically).
  4. Still undecided on which 3rd rounder they'll give up for Neal (2020 or 2021), says this decision will probably be made the day of or day before.
  5. After players are drafted, probably going to be video conferences to introduce them to the team. Going to be strange and different this year.
  6. If you as a scout have a player on your list, you're required to have a meeting with them and try to get to know them. They've done a lot of leg work and conference calls with many of the draftees already.
  7. No room for error and a lot of room for improvement on the team. Even if they only have a 1st and 5th round pick, they need to hit on them. <-- This is kind of obvious but I'm glad he addressed it.
  8. Lot of philosophy change after bringing in Holland. Want to prioritize speed, intensity, competitiveness, defensive awareness, big/fast defenders, scoring prowess etc.)

Number 8 specifically screams Seth Jarvis to me. He also did specifically mention the goalie position a couple of times which makes me think they've looked into Askarov as well.

Number 8 also screams Guhle

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Few points he mentioned:

If Jarvis or Quinn are on the board, can't see them passing up on one of them. If they aren't, number 8 screams Dylan Holloway at F and Kaiden Guhle at D lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad