Prospect Info: The Infantile 2020 Draft Thread

Magically, these 4 prospects are available at 14th. Who do you want?

• Jack Quinn

• Anton Lundell

• Yaroslav Askarov

• Seth Jarvis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Already an infant?! It's growing up so fast. :cry:

Like I said in the previous thread, I think the Oilers draft board is something along these lines:

Quinn
Askarov
Jarvis
Mercer
Lundell
Zary
Peterka
Holloway

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's kind of funny how the Oilers have landed just outside of the sweet spot of the draft the last 3 years hoping for a faller.

In 2018, it was hoping for Bouchard, Dobson or Wahlstrom to fall but expecting Smith or Hayton. It was thought of as a top 9 then drop off at the Oilers spot.

In 2019, it was hoping for Zegras, Dach (I never thought he would fall) or Cozens but expecting Broberg or Boldy. It was thought of as a top 7 then drop off at 8.

Now, it's hoping for Quinn or Jarvis to fall but expecting Mercer or Zary and now with the Leafs transferring their pick to Carolina that Askarov might be taken right before us.

I just thought it was interesting how similar the 3 drafts are in this respect in regards to the Oilers draft spot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Cory Pronman Mock from the Athletic

1. New York Rangers, Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski-QMJHL
2. Los Angeles Kings: Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury-OHL
3. Ottawa Senators: Tim Stutzle, LW, Mannheim-DEL
4. Detroit Red Wings: Cole Perfetti, C, Saginaw-OHL
5. Ottawa Senators: Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda-SHL
6. Anaheim Ducks: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgarden-SHL
7. New Jersey Devils: Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie-OHL
8. Buffalo Sabres: Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa-OHL
9. Minnesota Wild: Iaroslav Askarov, G, SKA-VHL
10. Winnipeg Jets: Jake Sanderson, D, USNTDP-USHL
11. Nashville Predators: Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa-OHL
12. Florida Panthers: Braden Schneider, D, Brandon-WHL
13. Carolina Hurricanes: Seth Jarvis, C, Portland-WHL
14. Edmonton Oilers: Dylan Holloway, C, Wisconsin-Big 10
Holloway was a name I heard rumored that Edmonton liked but they didn’t seem to be in the mix range-wise, something that’s changed as a nature of the unique year. He’s a center but also can play on the wing and is an excellent skater who you could imagine skating with Connor McDavid and playing fast with him, although Holloway doesn’t have true top-end offensive touch. This is another potential landing spot for Askarov.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Holloway was a name I heard rumored that Edmonton liked but they didn’t seem to be in the mix range-wise, something that’s changed as a nature of the unique year. He’s a center but also can play on the wing and is an excellent skater who you could imagine skating with Connor McDavid and playing fast with him, although Holloway doesn’t have true top-end offensive touch. This is another potential landing spot for Askarov.

I sort hope that AA experiment maybe deflects the idea that McDavid needs someone whos a fast skater to play with him. I think McDavid needs to play with smart players and players with a good feel for the game. Holloway is a great skater and his hockey iq is good but I wouldnt consider it great. I personally just think theres players with much better fits if we are going to go the forward route. This pick is going to tell us a lot about the scouting staff under Holland/Wright.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its an interesting mock draft. I think its closer than Buttons as it is more realistic but I dunno. I think the Drysdale/Sanderson will go higher than that though. Be interesting to see what Minnesota does there at #9. But I dont like Holloway with our pick there.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
What about Bourque?

Quinn yes, Zary, Jarvis, Bourque. And Askarov if available. Amirov is interesting but I'm even more gunshy with the KHL now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I sort hope that AA experiment maybe deflects the idea that McDavid needs someone whos a fast skater to play with him. I think McDavid needs to play with smart players and players with a good feel for the game. Holloway is a great skater and his hockey iq is good but I wouldnt consider it great. I personally just think theres players with much better fits if we are going to go the forward route. This pick is going to tell us a lot about the scouting staff under Holland/Wright.
Yep. I hope good skater isn't the new bit and tough for the org. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a good skater over big and tough, but the org needs to look at the complete player and not just pick guys based on one trait. If they grab a guy like Holloway, I'll be concerned.

Reactions: B33K33PING

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
NHL.com mock

14. Edmonton Oilers
Kimelman -- Seth Jarvis, C, Portland (WHL):
Jarvis' game is built around his speed and dynamic offensive skills. After a slow start to the season, Jarvis (5-10, 175) was one of the best offensive players in the CHL after the Christmas break with 65 points (28 goals, 37 assists) in 29 games.
Morreale -- Jarvis: A smart, skilled right-hand shot who executes with pace and excels as a penalty killer. Jarvis was second in the WHL with 98 points (42 goals, 56 assists) in 58 games.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yep. I hope good skater isn't the new bit and tough for the org. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a good skater over big and tough, but the org needs to look at the complete player and not just pick guys based on one trait. If they grab a guy like Holloway, I'll be concerned.

Ranking skating as the top trait is what got us picks like Steve Kelly over Shane Doan.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This could be a fun draft.

There's been some chatter on Twitter about the Rangers being a team that could use Byfield more than Lafreniere and I agree. They've got two LWers with NMCs locked up forever, nothing even remotely resembling a center in the pipeline and only two more years until Zibby hits UFA.

A second line of Kreider-Byfield-Kakko would be terrifying behind Panarin and Zibby.

I wonder if we see a little movement at the top of the draft.

Reactions: nally and McDoused

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
After the ping pong ball dropped (THUD), I looked at who might 'gamble' on a prospective elite tender and figured Carolina. They have built a strong NHL roster highlighted by an elite d-corp. which they could tinker with if necessary to address current needs and are well-positioned imo for a slow-cook, long-term need for goaltender with Askarov. I don't see Askarov going before then and I am not confident he would get by Carolina. But if he did, Askarov would be in my mix to address a big hole for this franchise. Some top tenders get NHL games at 20/21, gain a solid minor pro year or two as seasoning, and move to starting role thereafter. Askarov has had a KHL game at 17 and held his own as well as other pro league competition.

With other limited knowledge, I wonder about a forward among players like Quinn, Jarvis, Halloway. I'd like to see a shoot-first sniping forward.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This could be a fun draft.

There's been some chatter on Twitter about the Rangers being a team that could use Byfield more than Lafreniere and I agree. They've got two LWers with NMCs locked up forever, nothing even remotely resembling a center in the pipeline and only two more years until Zibby hits UFA.

A second line of Kreider-Byfield-Kakko would be terrifying behind Panarin and Zibby.

I wonder if we see a little movement at the top of the draft.

That would make a lot of sense to me because they really do not need Lafreniere. They have so many wingers already with Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil and Kreider, while they are really, really lacking center depth. But do they pick Byfield at #1 or move down? Trading with Ottawa would make sense but Rangers might be scared the Kings nab Byfield, although maybe Rangers would be fine with either Stützle or Byfield, if they think the former is a center in the NHL, but then again they could just pick Stützle at #1 if that's the case. Would suck if the Kings would end up with Lafreniere though. Between him, Vilardi and Turcotte they would have a hell of a forward core. Anyway, interesting times ahead...

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I know it could blow up in our faces but Askarov is very enticing to me if he somehow falls....

Another forward would be great but I think it's pretty clear that our problems start from the net and move out. All areas of are roster are far from perfect, but I think forwards are the last area to address. Obviously if the best players available are clearly forwards than that is who we should go with but I don't know that that is the biggest need at the moment.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As for Dawson Mercer, I wouldn't hate the pick but I wouldn't love it either, although I guess it depends a bit on who else is on the board. But he doesn't really excite me. Seems like a guy who is pretty safe and has a decent floor but I don't think his upside is all that big. I see him as a middle-six forward. I'm also in general pretty wary of forwards from the Q, a lot of them tend to be disappointing. Even highly touted guys like Hischier and Zadina haven't really lived up to expectations, not to mention Jonathan Drouin. And those guys dominated the Q way harder than Mercer did.

Even successful guys like Dubois, Meier, Beauvillier and Ehlers aren't elite (and two of them being imports). To find an elite forward from the Q you'd have to go back to MacKinnon in 2013 and before that Huberdeau and Couturier in 2011. Unless I'm missing someone that's all of the notable forwards from the Q in the past decade. Not really inspiring confidence.

I think Mercer vs Holloway would be an interesting debate. They both have their pros and cons. I think with Mercer what you see is what you get whereas with Holloway it would seem he has some untapped potential. Making the jump from AJHL to NCAA is not easy so he should have some room to grow as he gets more comfortable at that level. But what Mercer has going for him is his shot. If he can find a way to use that consistently at the NHL level he'll be a very valuable player even if he's not elite. Maybe he's smart enough to keep up with McDavid too.

Reactions: McDoused

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Mercer looks pretty impressive in highlights. I just hate how soft and poor defensively the QMHJL is as a league. Makes it hard to evaluate guys.

Reactions: MessierII

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Holloway is underrated but no would I take him. I would take Gunler at 14 or trade down for Reichel

Reactions: B33K33PING
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->