The Inevitable trade of Yannick Weber

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Since he hasn't been played his value is dirt cheap, no one is going to give up a third for a guy who has played one game this year. Not only is sitting hurting his game and development we will essentially be giving him away for nothing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This is the first season in memory where the Habs suffer no injuries on D.

That is why Kaberle and Weber are not playing. This is an anomalous situation.

Last edited:

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
This is the first season in memory where the Habs suffer no injuries on D.

That is why Kaberle and Weber are not playing. This is an anomalous situation.

However the other way to look at it is that regardless of no injuries he still needs to play some games.

Does Armstrong need to play each game?

We could dress 7 D or putt Weber on the 4th line for at least a prorated amount of 25-35 games per year.

He's 24 is considered a ''skilled'' d-man and would make quite a few NHL teams roster.

What we are doing to him right now is borderline evil.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
However the other way to look at it is that regardless of no injuries he still needs to play some games.

We could dress 7 D or putt Weber on the 4th line for at least a prorated amount of 25-35 games per year.

He's 24 is considered a ''skilled'' d-man and would make quite a few NHL teams roster.

I'm all for trading players to give them a chance, it's the right thing to do but it wasn't that long ago we traded O'Byrne because we had a healthy team and then ended up scrambling for defensive help the rest of the season. So it's tough to criticize the GM for holding onto him.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Diaz now has a concussion, but if he comes back healthy, trading Weber or Kaberle could be an option.
Many says depth is important and I agree, but I'm wondering, how has St. Denis been this season in Hamilton? Some thought he'd challenge for a spot on the roster this season, or be the one called up in case of injuries.
And this one may not be my favorite idea, but maybe giving Tinordi a game or 2 in the NHL may not be that bad, no? We're not keeping him, we're just giving him a bit of experience in the NHL with a game or 2 then back to Hamilton with what he may have learned

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i could see him walking at season's end and just heading back to Europe while we retain his rights. he's not playing. he's worth maybe a 3rd or 4th. nothing more right now

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
The situation this year has been highly unusual, and its hurt Weber.

1) Diaz makes him redundant. It's not like Weber is significantly tougher than one of our regular Top 6, and hence it would make sense to insert him into the lineup for games against the Leafs and Bruins. Taking a guy out and putting Weber in is at best a lateral move.

2) We've been unusually injury-free.

I think that between now and the trade deadline, something should give. If we actually remain injury-free all the way up till then, we should trade Weber to a seller looking for youth. Maybe get a pure heavyweight tough guy back, or a veteran D on an expiring contract.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He's mainly a depth player right now, but if we were to trade him, I hope we can at least get a 3rd round pick

That's what he was, a 3rd round pick. Does he play like a 2nd round pick? If he did, he'd be dressed more often, but he doesn't. He won't survive the advent of Tinordi in a Habs uniform.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
From a team perspective, having a guy like Weber as this team #8D is a plus. From my point of view, contracts aside, Weber is, right now, our 10th best D:

1. Markov
2. Subban
3. Gorges
4. Diaz
5. Emelin
6. Bouillon
7. Kaberle
8. Tinordi
9. Saint-Denis
10. Weber

I do hope we can get a 4th-7th round pick for him... just before the draft.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
From a team perspective, having a guy like Weber as this team #8D is a plus. From my point of view, contracts aside, Weber is, right now, our 10th best D:

1. Markov
2. Subban
3. Gorges
4. Diaz
5. Emelin
6. Bouillon
7. Kaberle
8. Tinordi
9. Saint-Denis
10. Weber

I do hope we can get a 4th-7th round pick for him... just before the draft.

keeping your 10th and "use" him as an 8th is anything but a bonus...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's what he was, a 3rd round pick. Does he play like a 2nd round pick? If he did, he'd be dressed more often, but he doesn't. He won't survive the advent of Tinordi in a Habs uniform.

Right, but it would be ok to leave Tinordi and co in Hamilton a full extra year.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

borderline evil?lol.good one.you want to win or do you want to be everybodys best friend??he doesnt crack the lineup right now because he's not good enough to. sorry.hopefully he keeps his chin up tho,cause eventually he'll be needed.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
borderline evil?lol.good one.you want to win or do you want to be everybodys best friend??he doesnt crack the lineup right now because he's not good enough to. sorry.hopefully he keeps his chin up tho,cause eventually he'll be needed.

24 year old d-man with skill are meant to play not sit in the press box each game. AHL and gritty old vets are usually the ones called upon when injuries strike.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
24 year old d-man with skill are meant to play not sit in the press box each game. AHL and gritty old vets are usually the ones called upon when injuries strike.

The thing is, if he was so skilled, he would play.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
You nailed it MXD. Every team needs at least 8 dman to get thru a season, somebody has to be number 8, Weber is it. He's worth nothing as trade bait, just keep him unless a better #8 comes along. Although I agree with some people, he should play a game every now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->