The importance of Pat Maroon

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
will give credit for the Blues cup, but really impressive how a fringe 4th liner piggybacked onto a superteam.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What about Barclay Goodrow?
3 finals appearance in 4 years, potentially 2 cups

What about the importance of Tom Kunackl on the Penguins? 2 cups in two years!!!

Good in Maroon, and a good depth player, but he's not some sort of magical bean. Tampa was gonna win sooner or later with that roster

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Right place, right time. His absence wouldn't prevent Tampa from winning either this year or last.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
His on ice skill is arguably the worst out of all starting forward in the league.

He's only here for what he brings "behind the scenes"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His on ice skill is arguably the worst out of all starting forward in the league.

He's only here for what he brings "behind the scenes"

After years of being labeled (often unfairly) a "soft" team, TB is a team who suddenly thrives in the nastiest games every playoffs. I think a lot of that is Maroon. I think he makes the rough games "fun" for the guys, so they embrace it, as simple as that sounds.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
After years of being labeled (often unfairly) a "soft" team, TB is a team who suddenly thrives in the nastiest games every playoffs. I think a lot of that is Maroon. I think he makes the rough games "fun" for the guys, so they embrace it, as simple as that sounds.

He's a decoy. Draw some attention off our skilled players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's a decoy. Draw some attention off our skilled players.
Somewhat. But I mean, we initiate SO many more scrums than we used to. We drag other teams into the dirt with us now, rather than the other way around. I really feel like that's Marion's effect. He seems to genuinely enjoy a chippy game, and the team follows that lead.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He is a very affordable and solid 4th line player. It helped that he had won the cup and brought that into our locker room. He added a little sandpaper like Goodrow and Coleman did as well and we needed that.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Used to dislike this guy when watching the Bruins play the Blues and Bolts.

But man, this dude's shit talking is top notch. He cracks me up and he's won me over.

With that said, I'm sure Tampa would be in the same position if there was another competent (key word) 4th line player in his place.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m pretty impressed with Maroon. There are a number of guys tagged ‘character’ guys but very few make a big difference. Particularly with ‘intangible’ type play. Maroon seems to be a rare guy who just does the little things that win playoff games.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I remember watching him at a roller hockey game jump over the boards after the game to chase down a ref like he wanted to fight him. Classic. They were down a goal and their best player was about to have a breakaway with 10 seconds left and a kid took out his legs with a slash. Puck squirted to the corner and time ran out with a delayed penalty.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I always felt like that is why TB signed him. They had the skilled players, but needed somebody who would dig around the boards and be a physical presence to add that dimension.

Nobody is going to confuse him with Draisaitl, but that is not his role and he is not paid like it, either. He's essentially a role player. Picture the walrus goalie in the commercial having a brother who plays forward.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Maroon is definitely a catalyst for fun physical hockey.
It’s like working in a furniture warehouse, packing 53’ trailers top to bottom in the heat… if your coworkers are all bitching about the heat and how much work they have ahead ahead of them you will feel like shit.
But imagine you have a 260lbs coworker that comes in and gives you a light kick in the butt and says “let’s do this baby”, then picks up two sofas at once and starts loading with a grin on his face.

It’s easy to work hard and keep positive when you’ve got a guy like that on your team. A team with Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, Vas, etc etc probably makes playing that role really rewarding for Maroon

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Going to win three straight Cups on TWO different teams.
It isn't a coincidence he got brought in to Tampa, from St Louis, after TB was completely roughed up by Columbus.
He isn't a great player by any stretch of the imagination --but is extremely effective in the role he has and the swagger it brings to that line and the team.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wherever he is on the ice there is a big gravity depression in the ice and the puck naturally heads towards him. It's a brilliant strategery.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The importance of Maroon is so overblown. If he was the stud some claim he is, why didn’t Anaheim make it to the finals? Or the Oilers?

I’ll never forget taking my son to a Blues-Oilers game in December of 2019. We had seats a couple of rows up between the benches. Just about every break he would stand and stare at the Oilers bench. Never did anything, didn’t talk, no fights or after the whistle stuff. Just the paper tough guy.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What about Barclay Goodrow?
3 finals appearance in 4 years, potentially 2 cups

What about the importance of Tom Kunackl on the Penguins? 2 cups in two years!!!

Good in Maroon, and a good depth player, but he's not some sort of magical bean. Tampa was gonna win sooner or later with that roster

Your examples are all 2 cups 1 guy

This is 3 cups 1 chub

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The importance of Maroon is so overblown. If he was the stud some claim he is, why didn’t Anaheim make it to the finals? Or the Oilers?

I’ll never forget taking my son to a Blues-Oilers game in December of 2019. We had seats a couple of rows up between the benches. Just about every break he would stand and stare at the Oilers bench. Never did anything, didn’t talk, no fights or after the whistle stuff. Just the paper tough guy.

Blues won 2-1. His stare intimidated the Oilers from scoring. I'd be grateful to have witnessed it live

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->