The Imbecilic Anti-Feature of Displaying Final Scores in Calendars

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Sorry about the irate thread title, but there's really no kind way to put this.

For us Kings fans in Europe, it's usual to watch Kings games in "delayed live" mode via NHL.tv, especially those on the East Coast. Kings home games are typically breakfast TV for us, with the standard puckdrop time at 4:30 a.m. in Central Europe.

But here's the problem: in my Google Calendar, I've been using the LA Kings Games Calendar from stanza.co for the last couple of years. I switched to it after my previous calendar (from Google, I think) suddenly started displaying final scores inside the calendar (whoever first came up with that idea should be whipped mercilessly). Spoilers via notifications are bad enough (I had to disable all of them in the NHL app), but to have them pop up in the calendar, too, is infuriating.

Well, spoilers have now arrived in the stanza.co Kings calendar, too, and it just happened yesterday again. I was just watching the Kings vs. Coyotes game over breakfast in "delayed live" mode, with the score being 1:1 after the 1st period, when I inadvertently glanced at my calendar to check my schedule for the day... and I noticed the game's final score, 2:1. OK, that's a fine 4-game winning streak, but I was so furious I wanted to smash the TV set.

I have now disabled all Kings games calendars from stanza.co on my devices. Is there any Kings games calendar that does not impose spoilers on its users? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Sorry about the irate thread title, but there's really no kind way to put this.

For us Kings fans in Europe, it's usual to watch Kings games in "delayed live" mode via NHL.tv, especially those on the East Coast. Kings home games are typically breakfast TV for us, with the standard puckdrop time at 4:30 a.m. in Central Europe.

But here's the problem: in my Google Calendar, I've been using the LA Kings Games Calendar from stanza.co for the last couple of years. I switched to it after my previous calendar (from Google, I think) suddenly started displaying final scores inside the calendar (whoever first came up with that idea should be whipped mercilessly). Spoilers via notifications are bad enough (I had to disable all of them in the NHL app), but to have them pop up in the calendar, too, is infuriating.

Well, spoilers have now arrived in the stanza.co Kings calendar, too, and it just happened yesterday again. I was just watching the Kings vs. Coyotes game over breakfast in "delayed live" mode, with the score being 1:1 after the 1st period, when I inadvertently glanced at my calendar to check my schedule for the day... and I noticed the game's final score, 2:1. OK, that's a fine 4-game winning streak, but I was so furious I wanted to smash the TV set.

I have now disabled all Kings games calendars from stanza.co on my devices. Is there any Kings games calendar that does not impose spoilers on its users? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First world problem alert!! :laugh:

And I have my own gripe as well: In today's technology, I still have not been able to find a clean Kings calendar (just a 30-day version .pdf), to print out a hard copy, for over 6 or 7 seasons. I have essentially given up on finding this grail.

Godspeed to you.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
First world problem alert!! :laugh:

And I have my own gripe as well: In today's technology, I still have not been able to find a clean Kings calendar (just a 30-day version .pdf), to print out a hard copy, for over 6 or 7 seasons. I have essentially given up on finding this grail.

Godspeed to you.

Happy to make one. What are you looking for exactly?

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
The only way I could get exactly what I wanted was to draw (pencil, paper, ruler, straight edge) a blank calendar template, make copies and write in all the info (year, month, days of week, day number) and highlight when, where, what time and who the Kings play. My gripe with technology has always been "stop doing things for me I don't want and make it easy to do the things I do want."

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Many, many thanks, bouncesonly! :thumbu: It looks like this could be the permanent solution. I just knew it was worth launching this thread in the Kings section on HFBoards.

I don't know who gave the stanza.co folks the insane idea to start displaying scores, because that calendar used to be perfect previously. They're probably just aping Google's default calendar that has always been atrocious with all the spoilers. Google keeps finding new ways to impose sports scores spoilers on me via mobile notifications, and I need to keep disabling them. You disable them in one place, and they pop right back at ya in some other Google app or darned voice assistant.

I miss notifications from the NHL app, but although it's 2019, there seemed to be no way to enable only non-spoiler notifications. Very low-tech and embarrassing, if you ask me. So I had to disable all NHL notifications. Although the NHL app allows you to limit Kings-related notifications to, say, only "Game Start", allowing you to disable the "Goal Scored" or "Final Score" notifications, what actually happens is that you still receive other spoiler notifications such as "Third Shutout for Quick!“ or "Brown's Fabulous Decider in OT!". A single, involuntary, split-second glance at that darned unrequested popup, and your game experience is instantly ruined.

There's a different bug in this calendar from the official site, but it's a tolerable bug. They assume each game to last 90 minutes, which is nonsense, of course. The stanza.co calendar estimated each game to take 3 hours, which is perhaps slightly overblown. In my experience, a typical NHL game takes between 2.5 hours and 2 hours and 45 minutes, depending on whether there's overtime.

That's a rather important consideration for those of us in Europe for whom the Kings' home games are breakfast TV. The regular LA puckdrop time is 4:30 a.m. Central European time, so if you wake up at, say, 6 a.m., you can either join the game in progress, or just pretend that it's 4:30 a.m. and start watching the game in "delayed live" mode in the NHL.tv app, which is what I usually do.

Anyway, I also enjoy watching the pregame show (I miss Sean O'Donnell, though, not to mention Bob Miller), so I know I need to start watching 30 minutes earlier than the calendar states. In this, the stanza.co Kings calendar is excellent in that it sends you a mobile notification 30 minutes before game start – just in time for you to start watching the pregame show. The official site game calendar you're recommending, CalReply, sends you the notification 15 minutes before game start, which is not quite as good (and you could adjust that manually)... Anyway, when the Kings play on the East Coast, by the time you wake up in the morning, the game is usually over, and you can only watch it from NHL.tv's app/game archives which, unlike the live stream, never include the half-hour pregame show.

As to manually concocting game calendars, digital ones or on paper, I couldn't put up with such a chore on a regular basis. Plus, there are those occasional game reschedulings that don't get automatically reflected in manually created game calendars.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad