The Illusion of the rebuild

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
but Strait is. Sometimes matchups are overrated and you play the guy who ia playing better. Plus, we are at home, we deciede who plays against who
When you say "we decide who plays against who" you must be talking about us fans.:sarcasm:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Staple tweets that Nelson is sitting again tonight.

That is three of the first seven games.

Same siht, different season. Further proof that Capuano is not an NHL level coach. I'd rather see them give PMB away at this point and give his spot to Nelson than continue using the same exact methods that helped ruin Nino.

Bring him up to sit him? That's not development, that' just stupid.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Darth, I just had a chance to read through this thread and had a few thigns to say:

The Buffalo game again exposed the need to add another physical defenseman with NHL experience. I know you have spoken on other threads about someone like Gleason or something similar that can skate and pass (ironically kind of like a McCabe in his prime). We are just too small IN TOTO on the back line. All the small players - Viz, Hickey, McD and Strait are fine as INDIVIDUALS, but all four of them together is too much. Even Hamonic is 'ONLY' 6' 2" and 210 lbs, hardly the size needed to move a Lucic from the front consistently.

I also think Moulson makes a very good trade chip, and when bundled with McD or Hickey could bring something nice back. Maybe the two of them to the Caps for Alzner might make sense, or something similar. We need to get bigger back there and there is no guarantee that Mayfield or Pedan can develop to an Alzner's level. We are right on the cusp of making a leap upward if we can get this together.

BTW - wasn't it JT who didn't close down on the Buffalo wing who tied the game late? You can't let that guy get off the shot so easily in that situation - gap coverage cost us that game Tuesday. We praise JT a lot, but he made a defensive lapse and needs to be called out for it on that play.

Donovan has more size than at least three of those I named and needs to play, period. With him it is just playing experience, not talent at this point. Get him in now.

Capuano seems like a 50/50 proposition to me as a coach - I really like his offensive strategy but I don't know about his handling of the players. His track record with the youngsters is not promising and he seems to have that annoying quality of Ted Nolan in relying on experience over potential. Given the rule changes towards more offense you need to populate your lineup to fit your strategy. If the strategy is to press on the forecheck and bring speed through the neutral zone then play those types of players (this is why I think they signed Regin and PMB, because they fit that system better than a Boyes or PAP). But if they don't start producing they need to be held accountable like the kids are. That is the crux of the Nino issue. I watched Minnesota a couple of times this season and he looks much better than he did with us. He looks like he isn't afraid to make a mistake as opposed to skating around like he has to remember things. And maybe that is Capuano's weak spot - his inability to be patient with a kid. And that has long term effect on an organization like ours that relies on developing kids instead of free agent signings.

We are at a tricky bend in the curve right now with our team. In order to take the next step forward we might need to be willing to take a step back first, whether by playing the kids and accepting the inevitable mistakes they will make at first, or by packaging a few assets like Moulson to pick up that missing asset on the back end for this season. I also wonder if JT's play would improve without Moulson around. It seems that JT tries to do too much stickhandling at times and I think some of that is because he doesn't fully trust Moulson with handling the puck more.

A possible pairing that might be interesting to try would be JT with Strome and Martin. JT and Ryan playing a two-man game with MM to do the dirty work in the corners and defensively.

Or of course I could be full of it :laugh:

If it means insightful observations and sound logic then, yes, you are full of it.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'm not saying that at all. I'm speaking specifically to the prospects/young players that have been spoken about in this thread. I referred to their character to illustrate that I think that these players, again the ones referenced in the thread, have the pertinacity and aplomb to continue to improve in a limited role and I feel they'll be the better for it.

As far as the "the teams should fill holes and improve", you're preaching to the converted. I've been beating that drum for a long time. But, it is what it is.
Ok, I understand what you are saying. I still think Cappy is told who will be playing on a given night, even if he is in on the conversation.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
The kids will get a chance. I'm not too concerned. If we're playing well without them, it only inspires them to keep pushing their game to the next level (no more Nino crybabies I hope) and, in due time, whether it's an injury or Moulson and PMB walking out the door at the end of the season, Strome and Nelson will eventually get slotted in.

The only person I dislike in the Top 6 at this point is PMB. I would like to see Nelson play on the wing next to Nielsen because I think he's capable of keeping up with Grabner and Frans. Either that or sit Regin and slot Nelson in at center.

By next season, these are the lines I'd like to see:

Bailey-JT-Strome (now THAT'S a first line)
Grabner-Nelson-Okposo
FA-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I haven't been impressed with Bouchard either, but he'll continue to get his chances until he proves beyond a doubt that he's worthless, ala Brian Rolston. That's just how pro sports work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->