The Illusion of the rebuild

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I don't understand why Nelson & Donnovan don't play every single day. I get & agree with leaving Strome & Reinhart back. But Nelson & Donnovan are ready. It is foolish to sit them in favor of stopgaps.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is definitely some truth to the team not knowing what they have in Regin, PMB, and Clutterbuck. The sad part is that none of that has anything to do with Donovan sitting, but only Nelson.

Nelson is a piece of the future and he does need to be in there to see what he can do as well, he can't be the go to scratch when there needs to be a shuffle in the lineup.

In the early going, Nelson is the lowest on the totem pole because he's a rookie. If he's the scratch, then he's the scratch. With what we know and what we've seen so far... I don't think he'll be sitting in the press box further into the season. Playing in the NHL is not easy and the Isles are clearly trying to shelter their kids now rather than throw them to the wolves like in years past. The kids have to pay their dues, clear and simple.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In the early going, Nelson is the lowest on the totem pole because he's a rookie. If he's the scratch, then he's the scratch. With what we know and what we've seen so far... I don't think he'll be sitting in the press box further into the season. Playing in the NHL is not easy and the Isles are clearly trying to shelter their kids now rather than throw them to the wolves like in years past. The kids have to pay their dues, clear and simple.

I just disagree with scratching a rookie because he's a rookie. He's outperformed Regin and PMB so far this season from what I've seen and this is the easiest part of the year, get his feet wet now. I do understand what you're saying though.

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
A team can say they are rebuilding just as I can say I'm trying to lose that 5lbs for the last year and a half. Sometimes It's just not gonna happen the way you planned. I'm still upset about Wang's bonehead move of canning Neil Smith to bring on someone with only a bachelor degree to his name. Neil worked under Torrey and Devellano and was set to be a great GM. I'm still not sold on Snow/Cappy. And it takes more than a great GM/Coach combo. When Jimmy D left the Isles he went to the Wings and built a winner with scouts, the minors, knowledgeable coaches and much more. Sorry to say but this may not happen here with Wang/Snow/Cappy (I hope I'm wrong).

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I agree with the sentiment of this thread. This team should operate more like the Oilers.... from the womb to the starting lineup, that's how a rebuild is done!

Nino = 1st year of AHL eligibility last year
Nelson = 1st year of AHL eligibility last year, up this year
Strome = 1st year of AHL eligibility this year
Reinhart/Pulock = 1st year of AHL eligibility next year

What I get from OP, is that during a rebuild no one should spend any time in the AHL. Remember what I said recently about 60 percent of our fanbase.....

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment of this thread. This team should operate more like the Oilers.... from the womb to the starting lineup, that's how a rebuild is done!

Nino = 1st year of AHL eligibility last year
Nelson = 1st year of AHL eligibility last year, up this year
Strome = 1st year of AHL eligibility this year
Reinhart/Pulock = 1st year of AHL eligibility next year

What I get from OP, is that during a rebuild no one should spend any time in the AHL. Remember what I said recently about 60 percent of our fanbase.....

That's a little extreme. As you recall in my original post, I said that either rushing guys (Nino, Bailey) or holding them back to long can be a problem.

Exactly what I wrote:

"I am all for giving guys a chance to develop at lower levels but there does come a time when you need to take your cake out of the oven.

What bothers me is the Isles seem to still be in that same loop of giving marginal fill ins (like Bouchard and Regin, who are this year's Boyles) icetime instead of actually letting our kids play.

I am not trying to start a rant thread here, just asking a legitimate question: The Islanders seem to either throw kids into the fire (like Bailey and Nino) or let then languish on the bench or AHL. There just doesn't seem to be a sensible development plan in place."

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That's a little extreme. As you recall in my original post, I said that either rushing guys (Nino, Bailey) or holding them back to long can be a problem.

Exactly what I wrote:

"I am all for giving guys a chance to develop at lower levels but there does come a time when you need to take your cake out of the oven.

What bothers me is the Isles seem to still be in that same loop of giving marginal fill ins (like Bouchard and Regin, who are this year's Boyles) icetime instead of actually letting our kids play.

I am not trying to start a rant thread here, just asking a legitimate question: The Islanders seem to either throw kids into the fire (like Bailey and Nino) or let then languish on the bench or AHL. There just doesn't seem to be a sensible development plan in place."

Darth, it's been 5 games and a period. It's a little early to be making judgements like that. Give it some time.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
considering snow inherited basically an expansion team, i think he's done a good job rebuilding the team

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Darth, it's been 5 games and a period. It's a little early to be making judgements like that. Give it some time.

Yes, but that is not a complaint based on just five games. Its a complaint based on the Isles lack of a reasonable development program over several years. Bouchard and the Regin are not the first fill ins we've brought in, and Nelson is not the first rookie to ride the pine.

eastonhockey22*

Ok, so here is what yanks my chain: Where is the freaking rebuild? Isles have had a gazillion early picks yet none of those guys will be in the lineup tonight. No Strome, Nelson, CDH, etc. Not even Donovan.

I am all for giving guys a chance to develop at lower levels but there does come a time when you need to take your cake out of the oven.

I am not trying to start a rant thread here, just asking a legitimate question: The Islanders seem to either throw kids into the fire (like Bailey and Nino) or let then languish on the bench or AHL. There just doesn't seem to be a sensible development plan in place.

This is a lot like when you demanded Franz to be traded....

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Ok, so here is what yanks my chain: Where is the freaking rebuild? Isles have had a gazillion early picks yet none of those guys will be in the lineup tonight. No Strome, Nelson, CDH, etc. Not even Donovan.

I am all for giving guys a chance to develop at lower levels but there does come a time when you need to take your cake out of the oven.

I am not trying to start a rant thread here, just asking a legitimate question: The Islanders seem to either throw kids into the fire (like Bailey and Nino) or let then languish on the bench or AHL. There just doesn't seem to be a sensible development plan in place.

yes this concerns me too, after the whole nino debacle , i feel as if they are trying to make it too hard for these guys to earn a spot. I feel that strome is a good enough player, and hes been simmering long enough for him to be an effective nhl player by now.

we gave tavares the 1C role basically the day he was drafted, we all worried hed be rushed, but now we have one of the best in the league.

we gave nino a spot on the team, and he was obviously overmatched, so i feel theyre scared the same thing will happen with strome.....

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Its probably safe to say the rebuild failed. THe reason I say that it, a example of a successful rebuild, would have a Islander team with a young Norris trophy hopeful defensemen, another two forwards who score 70-80 points a year with one of them having some muscle to their game. Our goalie of the future is probably in high school still, as well as our all star defensemen. OUr 2nd line center? He is in junior high. Take Tavares off this team, we are the worst team in hockey. So it sure is NOT a successful rebuild. COuld have been worse. We could have passed on Tavares. $$ is a big part of it also because with money we theoretically could of signed Chara and Hossa in the last five years.

Last edited:

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Its probably safe to say the rebuild failed. THe reason I say that it, a example of a successful rebuild, would have a Islander team with a young Norris trophy hopeful defensemen, another two forwards who score 70-80 goals a year with one of them having some muscle to their game. Our goalie of the future is probably in high school still, as well as our all star defensemen. OUr 2nd line center? He is in junior high. Take Tavares off this team, we are the worst team in hockey. So it sure is NOT a successful rebuild. COuld have been worse. We could have passed on Tavares. $$ is a big part of it also because with money we theoretically could of signed Chara and Hossa in the last five years.

your posts are always a nice source of humor after a tough loss

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
A team can say they are rebuilding just as I can say I'm trying to lose that 5lbs for the last year and a half. Sometimes It's just not gonna happen the way you planned. I'm still upset about Wang's bonehead move of canning Neil Smith to bring on someone with only a bachelor degree to his name. Neil worked under Torrey and Devellano and was set to be a great GM. I'm still not sold on Snow/Cappy. And it takes more than a great GM/Coach combo. When Jimmy D left the Isles he went to the Wings and built a winner with scouts, the minors, knowledgeable coaches and much more. Sorry to say but this may not happen here with Wang/Snow/Cappy (I hope I'm wrong).

Doesn't snow have an MBA?

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

I'd agree with you if we were talking about seasoned NHL veterans. Regin and Strait are not that.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
yes this concerns me too, after the whole nino debacle , i feel as if they are trying to make it too hard for these guys to earn a spot. I feel that strome is a good enough player, and hes been simmering long enough for him to be an effective nhl player by now.

we gave tavares the 1C role basically the day he was drafted, we all worried hed be rushed, but now we have one of the best in the league.

we gave nino a spot on the team, and he was obviously overmatched, so i feel theyre scared the same thing will happen with strome.....

Dude, I love that avatar. :handclap:

NYI13

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island
Its probably safe to say the rebuild failed. THe reason I say that it, a example of a successful rebuild, would have a Islander team with a young Norris trophy hopeful defensemen, another two forwards who score 70-80 points a year with one of them having some muscle to their game. Our goalie of the future is probably in high school still, as well as our all star defensemen. OUr 2nd line center? He is in junior high. Take Tavares off this team, we are the worst team in hockey. So it sure is NOT a successful rebuild. COuld have been worse. We could have passed on Tavares. $$ is a big part of it also because with money we theoretically could of signed Chara and Hossa in the last five years.

Oh, so the Penguins and the Blackhawks? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Buffalo scratched Ristolainen the game against Minnesota, to put him in the press box and just let him watch a little. Other rookies have stated that's been very helpful for their development. This isn't a Islander's thing...its a league wide thing.

The Devils scratched Larsson a few times last season. It's just the way it is. THis isn't going to be habitual, and don't freak out about it until it is....

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Despite being Scratched from early in the afternoon, Brock Nelson still took warmups. this kid is itching to play and he has played as well as anyone else, get him in there!

and Donovan, mistakes or not, is as good an option as anyone we have, the difference is he has Potential, where will Streit and Hickey be in 3 years? still here? then we are in trouble.

they were good options last season when we literally had NOBODY!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
This mostly. you don't just start guys based on where they were drafted. We obviously have guys in there that are NHL players that can help the team win now, obviously Strome isn't quite there yet and we don't want to stunt him. i think theyre doing the right thing and what's best for the team in the short and long term

I think the Isles are like those expensive toy collectors. Afraid to take the toy out of the box because it might lose its value.

PLAY WITH THE GOD DAMN TOY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad