WC: the IIHF website creator should be fired

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've thought that for a few years now - really bad
(still dislike nhl.com as well, but it's not as bad)

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
It looks like it has been designed to be "mobile-friendly", but it doesn't work at all on my phone! The game summaries doesn't even have the goalie stats. Utterly worthless garbage! Fortunatly, I was able to use old IHWC sites to find the URL of the actual stat page: 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship I wish that would just be the IHWC page

Reactions: Faterson

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think the IIHF website always seemed like somebody just self taught html and somehow convinced people they know how to web design.

Another thing that pisses me off is that when you look at the lower IIHF divisions and you want to look up stats, such as top scorers, etc. it always opens a freaking .pdf file. What the hell?

edit: seems like the .pdf thing is a IIHF wide thing, not sure about everyone else, but if I wanted to download stat sheets onto my computer or phone I'd do so, I just want to look at them.. not marry them.

Reactions: DmGpHd

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
My biggest gripe: I want to see the stats for each skater by team. The site splits them up by forwards, d & goalies then you have to scroll sideways to see everyone. They aren't even sorted by points.

Is there any site to see scoring by team?

Wiki is great but limited for stats

edit: 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship

There that works, not a very logical place for team stats & it's a pdf so can't sort or anything. Blah

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think the IIHF website always seemed like somebody just self taught html and somehow convinced people they know how to web design.

Another thing that pisses me off is that when you look at the lower IIHF divisions and you want to look up stats, such as top scorers, etc. it always opens a freaking .pdf file. What the hell?

edit: seems like the .pdf thing is a IIHF wide thing, not sure about everyone else, but if I wanted to download stat sheets onto my computer or phone I'd do so, I just want to look at them.. not marry them.
It's probably some nephew to some chairman that got the job, through classic corruption. It would also be nice if you could actually access it, which I'm unable to do at the moment.

That you have to look at the stats in a pdf format, in 2018, is a complete joke, yup. But it's the IIHF, who would expect something with quality to come from that organization?

I would do as hinted further up the page, to go the wiki page instead, it's much better than the official IIHF page.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Yep. How damn hard it would be to prioritize practicality over fancy look? Why people must nearly always orientate through illogical and messy mazes of badly designed pages (that may look good), when all they need is user interface to the easy-to-find information, that doesn't require tunnel fighting through several pages (that load often unnecessarily slow due dead weight of secondary stuff added) using trial-and-error method when it would be extremely easy to arrange simple link list to all necessary pages visible on main page, and/or to match and team pages (that would be itself easy-to-use)?

NHL.com sucks, IIHF.com sucks. Web-site designers are probably educated but fugitive apes from the zoo (certainly highly paid by bananas), who like scroll and click things, look at nice looking banners, and open new tabulators to their browsers when clicking those things.

Someone recommended wikipedia. I agree. Informative and easy-to-use (and often updated before the official site):

2018 IIHF World Championship - Wikipedia

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
I don't know why every time there's an international tournament in hockey, they go so far out of their way to make highlights hard to find. I have to manually search for them hoping someone posted them on YouTube.

It's as if the IIHF doesn't want the sport to grow - make highlights accessible for once...christ sake.

kovnik

Zadorov for Norris
Mar 28, 2008
Remember back in the day when they made you download PDF files for the scores etc..good times. :laugh:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
f***** joke, my friend could make a better website and he's f**** blind as a bat

Reactions: Morrison

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's past midnight and the main tournament site says that yesterday's games of Russia vs Czech Rep and Canada vs Norway are still upcoming... While a couple of headlines scream Czech and McDavid success, no information about the games can be found on the site.

No further comments are necessary... The previous site was ugly like hell and PDF-infested, but for something like this to happen was unthinkable.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
It's past midnight and the main tournament site says that yesterday's games of Russia vs Czech Rep and Canada vs Norway are still upcoming... While a couple of headlines scream Czech and McDavid success, no information about the games can be found on the site.

No further comments are necessary... The previous site was ugly like hell and PDF-infested, but for something like this to happen was unthinkable.

Yeah, just noticed the same. They seem to be fixing sth. Embarassing.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well, the site (ah! so it's a web app! that's why it's so crappy!) has completely vanished now (why do I feel some sort of relief?), and if it loads for me at all, I get to read:

Error 403 - This web app is stopped.

The web app you have attempted to reach is currently stopped and does not accept any requests. Please try to reload the page or visit it again soon.
If you are the web app administrator, please find the common 403 error scenarios and resolution here. For further troubleshooting tools and recommendations, please visit Azure Portal.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
... and a minute later, it's:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Am I the only one that has been having trouble with this garbage website today? Can't see play by play.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The website is worse than any professional website I've ever used; the layout is horrid, statistics sometimes doesn't work, sometimes a game goes back to the start of the 1st or start of the 2nd, play-by-play is 50/50 if it'll work. Even when statistics works it sometimes displays wrong stats, having players with no G or A with G and A in place of the people who should have them(according to their play-by-play).

Edit: oh and yeah, the 502 error....

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I particularly "love" how viewing the standings for a single group, that's 8 lines of text, takes up practically the entire screen of my 13-inch iPad Pro.

"Modern web design", my ass. I'd expect web design like that from a class of 12-year-olds.

But to be fair to IIHF, they're anything but alone in this. It's a world-wide fad and mental malaise, and NHL.com is equally atrocious. KHL.ru followed suit, naturally. I avoid those sites like the plague, despite closely following both leagues (and the WC).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad