The Iginla trade to Pittsburgh

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
It was a no-trade clause issue. Created a limited marketplace.

Of no real consolation given their limited nature, both players acquired (C/C+ prospects or so) at least played in the NHL for Calgary...plus they got a 1st round pick I think...

Rick Kehoe

Oct 8, 2017
Did Calgary get anything for Iginla in this deal? I was surprised by the return at the time. Could they not have got more?

The two prospects Calgary acquired did nothing with the Flames, and are in the AHL. Morgan Klinchuk, the first round pick selected by Calgary from Pittsburgh is also in the AHL, but is only 23, and might contribute in the future. Since Iginla was a disappointment with the Pens, the trade currently looks like a washout.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The two prospects Calgary acquired did nothing with the Flames, and are in the AHL. Morgan Klinchuk, the first round pick selected by Calgary from Pittsburgh is also in the AHL, but is only 23, and might contribute in the future. Since Iginla was a disappointment with the Pens, the trade currently looks like a washout.

Iggy had 11 points in 13 regular season games and 12 points in 15 playoff games. Not sure how that’s a dissapointment. Either way, Calgary could have got more for him.

Reactions: seventieslord

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Iginla really tied Feaster's hands and kind of screwed him over on the way out the door. Mishandling this, combined with the O'Reilly offer sheet fiasco the month before pretty much sealed his fate as an NHL general manager.

The week before the deadline Iginla gave Feaster a list saying he would waive his NTC for four teams: LA, Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh. So Feaster made the deal with Chiarelli that would've been for Bartkowski, Khokhlachev, and a 1st rounder (which is probably only slightly better than what they ended up getting) then when he informed Jarome to get the official sign-off on the no trade clause waiver, Iggy is like "sike, I only want to go to Pittsburgh. Go trade me to Pittsburgh."

So on incredibly short notice Feaster has to turn around and make a deal with the Pens, who have him by the balls in negotiation because it's the night before the deadline and he can't send him anywhere else, so of course they get an underwhelming return. And the kicker is that during all this, Feaster was so over his head that he never actually called Chiarelli back and the Bruins didn't find out until the Iggy to Pittsburgh deal went through the league office.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
he gets too much blame for his penguins stint, it's not his fault bylsma played him out of position and he still played pretty well

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He will definitely be inducted into the HHOF.

And I’m sure he will get his jersey retired. Just because it ends on not such a great note doesn’t change what happened before that. The flames will get over that, if they haven’t already.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Iggy tied the Flames hands. It looks bad on him. And we shall see what impact that has on him possibly getting his jersey retired.

There is no way he does not get his sweater retired. This is Jarome Iginla we are talking about. Basically this is Calgary Flames history in a nutshell:

Good team in the 1980s, Lanny McDonald
1989 Cup win
Awful playoff performances post-Cup
Theo Fleury
Jarome Iginla, 2004 Cup run

Period.

That's Flames history for you and Iginla represents about 12 years of it as "the" guy on that team.

Brett Favre had his Packer's jersey retired. Someday I can't imagine the Penguins not doing this to Jagr. Trottier's jersey is retired in Long Island. Bourque's was retired immediately in Boston. It'll happen with Iginla.

Iggy had 11 points in 13 regular season games and 12 points in 15 playoff games. Not sure how that’s a dissapointment. Either way, Calgary could have got more for him.

0 points in the sweep at the hands of Boston. Granted, Crosby had zero points too, so did Malkin, Neal and Letang. It was really one of the most horrible series I have ever seen a team that good partake in. So no, it isn't all Iggy's fault of course, but he went there for a Cup.

Reactions: Aerrol

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There is no way he does not get his sweater retired. This is Jarome Iginla we are talking about. Basically this is Calgary Flames history in a nutshell:

Good team in the 1980s, Lanny McDonald
1989 Cup win
Awful playoff performances post-Cup
Theo Fleury
Jarome Iginla, 2004 Cup run

Period.

That's Flames history for you and Iginla represents about 12 years of it as "the" guy on that team.

Brett Favre had his Packer's jersey retired. Someday I can't imagine the Penguins not doing this to Jagr. Trottier's jersey is retired in Long Island. Bourque's was retired immediately in Boston. It'll happen with Iginla.

0 points in the sweep at the hands of Boston. Granted, Crosby had zero points too, so did Malkin, Neal and Letang. It was really one of the most horrible series I have ever seen a team that good partake in. So no, it isn't all Iggy's fault of course, but he went there for a Cup.

Yeah, they scored 3 goals in 4 games or something? From a points perspective Iggy was not a dissapointment in Pittsburgh though.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, this makes Iggy look bad a little. Still he's the best to ever play for the Flames. His # will be retired and he'll get in the Hall.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
People make too big a deal out of the "final departure" of players. It's not important enough that anyone's going to prevent a number-retirement or a future ceremony or whatnot.

Gretzky and Pocklington (more so Pocklington) had a media-battle in the summer/autumn of '88, with Pocklington saying Gretzky had "an ego the size of Manhattan" and Wayne getting his digs in, too. But the moment Wayne retired, the Oilers retired his jersey. And there he was, on the ice with Pocklington, smiling, a few years ago in celebrating the '84 Cup anniversary.

It's like Martin St.Louis and the Lightning (Yzerman) management. Everyone went crazy saying how much St.Louis hated Yzerman because he wasn't on the first-roster of the Olympic team and that's why he quit on the Bolts, etc., etc. Hogwash, I say. In the first place, nobody knows whose votes kept St.Louis off the first roster -- it's just as likely that Yzerman was campaigning for him and others were not. Second, nobody cares even a couple of years later. All water under the bridge.

Iginla is a folk-hero in Calgary and some minor manager-player-front office mis-communication and crossed wires isn't cancelling that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
In retrospect Iginla managed to screw the Flames, Bruins and himself with his decision.

Bartkowski, Koko and a 1st was a much better return than what Pitt sent.

More importantly, the 2013 Bruins almost certainly win the Cup with Iginla that year. That may be the closest series in recent memory.

1 3OT game, 2 more OT games, no other game decided by more than 2 goals (game 3 was 2-0 BOS, game 5 was 3-1 CHI with an empty netter)

As a Bruins fan, admittedly driven by some bitterness, I smile a bit now looking back and seeing that in his quest for a Cup Iginla managed to screw himself over worse than any of the 3 teams involved in that fiasco. And that subtext certainly made the ECF that year that much sweeter

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
People make too big a deal out of the "final departure" of players. It's not important enough that anyone's going to prevent a number-retirement or a future ceremony or whatnot.

Gretzky and Pocklington (more so Pocklington) had a media-battle in the summer/autumn of '88, with Pocklington saying Gretzky had "an ego the size of Manhattan" and Wayne getting his digs in, too. But the moment Wayne retired, the Oilers retired his jersey. And there he was, on the ice with Pocklington, smiling, a few years ago in celebrating the '84 Cup anniversary.

It's like Martin St.Louis and the Lightning (Yzerman) management. Everyone went crazy saying how much St.Louis hated Yzerman because he wasn't on the first-roster of the Olympic team and that's why he quit on the Bolts, etc., etc. Hogwash, I say. In the first place, nobody knows whose votes kept St.Louis off the first roster -- it's just as likely that Yzerman was campaigning for him and others were not. Second, nobody cares even a couple of years later. All water under the bridge.

Iginla is a folk-hero in Calgary and some minor manager-player-front office mis-communication and crossed wires isn't cancelling that.

Also, Lindros in Philly. If he can get his number retired there, there’s hope for anyone.

I also don’t recall hearing any Flames fans being angry with Iggy at the time. It’s not that big a deal, and will have no impact on him having his number retired. Foolish to think otherwise.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Blame Orpiks shot+deflection. The first Iginla game was against Islanders and it was an early game, since I was able to watch it live. I vividly remember Iginla being interviewed just before the game, and boy was he excited. He got few shifts with Sid then BAM, season was over. Yeah, Sid came back and was pretty good, but that was basically it for Pens.

Bad luck for Iggy and Pens.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I'm a firm believer that this trade cost the Pens a cup. Not that Iggy did anything wrong, but adding him to our mix messed with our chemistry in trying to fit him in. We were firing on all cylinders, and playing at a fairly historic level, until the trade happened.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Nah, it was pretty obviously coaching. We could score our way out of trouble in the first two rounds. Boston played a different style, their defense was layered and stacked further back than the other teams we had played in the NZ. As such, the Penguins long stretch pass game - Air Coryell offense in hockey, if you will - caused players to be isolated against Boston's defensive support triangles. As a coach myself, I call this "island hockey" in that the head-manned offensive player is left on an island and has no support or release valve near him. If he carries it: he gets killed. If he looks back for support, it's likely a line away still and covered (as the Bruins would let the one long guy slip through one layer by design) and if you dumped it in (which the Penguins would generally not do that year) there was no one to get it or even enough speed generated close enough to the puck to establish a reasonable forecheck, it would just be throwing the puck away...

So for four straight games, we continued to throw bombs into a cover 3 shell (more football, yay... :eyeroll: )and for four straight games we didn't score any goals...well, I remember Brandon Sutter making a shot, and I think we scored one more...

Dan "get to our game" Bylsma was the reason we lost with that wagon of a team for failing to make any kind of adjustment to what Boston was doing...well, that's not totally true, he did make a minor adjustment in game 3 that allowed the defensemen to carry it up the half boards and then try to make a lateral pass out the wide side, that did generate some attack and NZ speed, but Boston still had it pretty well defended...

I get that Iginla was misused playing a position he had never played before, I didn't like that either, I get it...but Iginla could have played left defense that year and it wouldn't have made one bit of difference. We scored two goals in an entire series...a whole series (!)...the Penguins...a whole series...twice...a team with Crosby, Malkin, Iginla on a third line, Brenden Morrow on a fourth line...because of coaching. That series has been nightmare fuel for me as a diehard Penguins fan and as a coach...you can throw that right up there, just short of 1993 in terms of just flat out wasted opportunity...

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

That was a bizarre series considering Tomas Vokoun really didn’t play THAT poorly (.915 save percentage, double overtime 2-1 game 3, even game 4 was only 1-0.). Vokoun gave up only 3 goals in 2 games at Boston, which 9 times out of 10 sends the series back to Pittsburgh. But this was not to be.

Kinda like a doppelgänger of Vegas/Kings this year where Quick played well but got next to no offensive help and was hung out to dry.

One thing about that 2013 Penguins team after the Iginla trade...... they are an interesting butterfly effect team.

Suppose Boston doesn’t comeback in THAT Leafs game 7 and they avoid Rask and company. Who knows how things play out for that PIT team?

Remember, after that historic 4-1 comeback, they didn’t lose a regulation/non OT game until games 5-6 of the Cup Finals.

The Bruins practically did no wrong for a month. It was insane how one thing got the snowball rolling in such a way.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That was a bizarre series considering Tomas Vokoun really didn’t play THAT poorly (.915 save percentage, double overtime 2-1 game 3, even game 4 was only 1-0.). Vokoun gave up only 3 goals in 2 games at Boston, which 9 times out of 10 sends the series back to Pittsburgh. But this was not to be.

Kinda like a doppelgänger of Vegas/Kings this year where Quick played well but got next to no offensive help and was hung out to dry.

One thing about that 2013 Penguins team after the Iginla trade...... they are an interesting butterfly effect team.

Suppose Boston doesn’t comeback in THAT Leafs game 7 and they avoid Rask and company. Who knows how things play out for that PIT team?

Remember, after that historic 4-1 comeback, they didn’t lose a regulation/non OT game until games 5-6 of the Cup Finals.

The Bruins practically did no wrong for a month. It was insane how one thing got the snowball rolling in such a way.

What people forget is just how dominant Pittsburgh was rolling in the first two rounds. Not to mention they were 2nd in points during the regular season after Chicago. Actually, there was Chicago (77 points) and then Pittsburgh (72) and then the rest of the league. Even in a shortened season those two teams were a clear crop above the rest of the NHL that year.

The Pens led the league in goals that year, ironic considering how it ended with Boston. The Pens needed 6 games to beat the Islanders but then just obliterated the Sens in the next round in 5. Honestly, they looked like they were taking the Cup. Even in the Boston series, they weren't being outshot either.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What people forget is just how dominant Pittsburgh was rolling in the first two rounds. Not to mention they were 2nd in points during the regular season after Chicago. Actually, there was Chicago (77 points) and then Pittsburgh (72) and then the rest of the league. Even in a shortened season those two teams were a clear crop above the rest of the NHL that year.

The Pens led the league in goals that year, ironic considering how it ended with Boston. The Pens needed 6 games to beat the Islanders but then just obliterated the Sens in the next round in 5. Honestly, they looked like they were taking the Cup. Even in the Boston series, they weren't being outshot either.

yet there is still a section of Bruins fans that constantly yell about how Rask is mentally weak and has never stolen a playoff game or stolen a series. It gets overlooked that he stopped 134 of 136 shots in those 4 games...34 shots a game isnt a light load

In retrospect that series is 2 factors for me. One is the Bruins ended up being the worst type of team for the Pens. Elite defensive structure, and highly skilled.

The other is that Bruins team was underrated a bit in the moment. After the Toronto series, they ran the Rangers off the ice, and lost in the FInals as closely as possible...2 OT games, a 3 OT game, and the other 3 games were 2-0, 3-1, 3-2

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Iggy tied the Flames hands. It looks bad on him. And we shall see what impact that has on him possibly getting his jersey retired.
Iginla played over a decade in Calgary as the main man. The little return they got for him is an inconsequential afterthought compared to what he did there.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This trade is still a sore spot for me. I suppose it all worked out, but I certainly wish Iginla was given the opportunity to finish his career with the Flames rather than being dumped. Personally, I blame the media for this one. Iginla was the Canadian golden boy and his career would simply not be complete without winning the Stanley Cup. He NEEDED to leave. I remember the narrative began the previous season and continued to gain strength over two seasons. Feaster wasn't really the strongest and I think he caved a little bit to the media here. I believe Iginla really wanted to stay in Calgary. But I think he felt like the organization and media wanted him gone, and he gave in. I don't blame him to basically saying "trade me to only one team" when I don't think he really wanted to go in the first place. Look at the Sedins in Vancouver. Nobody ever pressured them to accept a deal elsewhere because they needed a Stanley Cup.

Overall it worked out for us, as I think it really made us Giordano's team, but I think this was handled incredibly poorly (mostly by the team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->